corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » LED's in Footwell and LED in boot

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author LED's in Footwell and LED in boot
Rich H

User status: Offline
14th Feb 06 at 12:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Right, I've done a very quick search and I have learnt how to do this with Neons now, however, I was wondering if it would be possible to go down the LED route so Im not so chav and so that it also matches the other "ultra white LED's" that I've used so far

I would like to put suitable amounts of LED's in the front footwells, and also, my boot currently just has the blanking plastic instead of a boot light.

So, my questions are:

1) What will I need?

2) How Easy is it to do?

3) How do I do it?!

Sorry if Im being totally thick here, electrics really arent my thing, but I fancy giving these lil ideas a bash!!

[Edited on 14-02-2006 by hamman]
Planty02

14th Feb 06 at 12:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have done this with LED, i have mounted 2 in the shelf under the glovebox and one in the kick panel in the passenger footwell, and one in each kick panel on the drivers side

The only problem with this is that it gives more of a spotlight effect than a glow
Rich H

14th Feb 06 at 12:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Damn Is it possible to get cathodes that you can have come on and off with the interior light then (rather than a poxy switch!)

Also, what about a boot light? Is a cathode again the best idea?
Planty02

14th Feb 06 at 12:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

all i did to put them in is take out the panels and drill holes in them (to fit the LED). All the wiring goes to a switch just behind the gear stick (again a hole needs to be drilled), the wiring then goes from the switch to the wiring behind the fag lighter for a power supply. Solder all the connections and insulate them with electrical tape
Rich H

14th Feb 06 at 12:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Other problem is that I don't have a fag lighter! Just a nice bit of plastic! My car's only a Swing, so Vauxhall decided to remove most electrical bits I think!
Planty02

14th Feb 06 at 12:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cathodes will prob look best - as for the interior light question (i had it set up this way at first) - I took the A pillar trim off on the passenger side and the wiring was there for the interior light.

Take out the fuse for this light and cut the two wires. Wire the cables from the bulbs to the correct cable in the pillar and solder and insulate
manchester-lad

14th Feb 06 at 12:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2-x-BRIGHT-BLUE-CAR-NEONS-NOS-TURBO-ICE-SUB-AMP_W0QQitemZ8036204616QQcategoryZ72237QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem these any gd ?
Planty02

14th Feb 06 at 12:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

A boot cathode can be put in by using the wiring for ur existing light
Planty02

14th Feb 06 at 12:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As a side night - i found that having the LEDs come with the interior light was quite poor because the interior light ruins the glow of the LED's - this is why i installed a switch and connected it to an ignition live
Planty02

14th Feb 06 at 12:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by hamman
Other problem is that I don't have a fag lighter! Just a nice bit of plastic! My car's only a Swing, so Vauxhall decided to remove most electrical bits I think!

You should be able to find an ignition live (ie CD Player)
Rich H

14th Feb 06 at 12:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Oh ok - I dunno - jus thought it would be good for them to all come on at the same time, and go off at the same time! Hmmm... Will have to think bout this I think. Also, atm, I don't have a boot light - just a bit of plastic where it should be, so would I have to consider running a wire right up the length of the car (under trim obv!)

Cheers manchester-lad - ideally want white though thanks
Planty02

14th Feb 06 at 12:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I find that they look much better on their own at night than with the interior light - personal preference tho - you could give it a try - wont cost ya anything

[Edited on 14-02-2006 by Planty02]
neoquip

26th Feb 06 at 22:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

have you thought about the 2.1 million colour change ICELED stuff.
foot well 6" tubes would be £25 and you could tap into your interior light to come on when you open your door too
www.neoquip.com
Bullet Proof SRi

26th Feb 06 at 22:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i have just intalled 2 x 6"tubes in my footwells, 1 each side.

They are bendy tubes with a bright blue led in each end so there are two leds per tube.

wired them into the wires that are used for the cigerette lighter, i dont use it.
i also managed to get a button that fits perfectly in the cigerette lighter to control the tubes.

they look really good of a night, i will get some pics up soon, best thing is they cost me £3 for both
Rich H

27th Feb 06 at 18:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cheers guys - I'll look in to this soon - started fiddling with external stuff atm tho

New Poll