corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » First week with the new stat and CTS in the XE...

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author First week with the new stat and CTS in the XE...
TOMAS

User status: Offline
22nd Feb 05 at 15:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

After the first week with my brand new thermostat (which now works unlike the old one) and a brand new Coolant Temp Sensor ive had an extra 35-40 miles out of a tankfull and thats when thrashing it. I think I should see 300miles+ to a tank (40 litres) from motorway miles! Made a massive difference and also doesnt ploom loads of grey smoke from the exhaust at idle unlike before.

Also ive added a tin (320ml) of Wynn's Hydraulic Lifter fluid to my oil (15w 40 Valvoline) and my lifters are now SUPER quiet!!

Now I used to be the first to slate anyone that uses oil additives, I tought I'd give it a buzz with the Wynns because I only plan on keeping the oil in for another 500 miles. Is there any FACTUAL articles on the web about oil additives and does anyone know EXACTLY WHY this stuff works and makes the lifters super smooth and quiet? It smelt wicked, almost like super glue, is it something that makes the oil more 'sticky' and therefore stay inside the lifters?

Anyhow it works for me and unless anyone actually proves that this stuff isnt ideal for a road engine then I'll probably be using it with the fresh oil aswell.
big eck

22nd Feb 05 at 15:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Where did you buy this and how much was it???
big eck

22nd Feb 05 at 15:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I used 10k boost just to see if it made a difference and hey presto it did, it made the engine pull abit smooter and it idled much better
Danny69

22nd Feb 05 at 15:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

how much were the sensors and where did you get them???

how easy are they to replace and where are the located??

cheers
Joff

22nd Feb 05 at 15:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Do you just dump it with the oil?

How does it know to go to the lifters?
TOMAS

22nd Feb 05 at 15:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The Wynns fluid was free of a pal down the road who owns his own garage but I'd imagine Halfords sell it, just do a google on the web.

Im in TradeClub with Vauxhall so the CTS cost me approx £12 and the stat was £15 with a sealing ring if I remember rightly. Be very carefull undoing the three nuts in the thermostat to remove it, as mine was prob the original stat (14 years old) and the nuts had siezed in and the heads sheared off so I needed to buy the thermostat housing + sealing ring which was an extra £37 odd.

I imagine the tin of wynns to be around £6-£10 a tin which treats one XE full of oil.

Also been busy working on the car today, wanted to raise the coilovers slightly but the lower alloy spring seat was totally siezed so had to but a new one from Harry Hockley £20 and had to grind a slot in the old one and attack it with a chisel to get it off but it worked a treat.

Fitted the new spring seat with LOTS of copper slip and ive raised both sides by 15mm and its made a hooge difference to handling. It was never adjusted from when I had the old 1.2 16V in and now the new redtop lump has made it drop slightly so bringing it back up by 15mm is nice and comfy again.

Also finally fitted my new powerflex front tie bar bushes now powerflex have finally re-designed them so that they are safe LOL.

Taking atrip to the alligners in 5mins with my old rims on, once its re-alligned it should be absoloutley spot on again
TOMAS

22nd Feb 05 at 15:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Joff the oil is only 500 miles old (I only put it in as a flushing oil as its cheap as chips from ASDA LOL) and I mixed the wynns with it, straight in through the filler cap when engine was warm. It doesnt just go to the lifters - it cant just go there, it goes around the whole engine but on the tin it says its to quieted noisey valve gear and hydraulic lifters which it seems to do perfectly. True test will be when I start it 2moz after its been stood for 24 hours but im expecting it to be fairly quiet.
Joff

22nd Feb 05 at 16:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I was only joking when I said "how does it know where to go"

Washer pls.
broster
Premium Member

22nd Feb 05 at 18:58   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

tomos any news on the bushes then/>
TOMAS

23rd Feb 05 at 10:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yup I have some washers for you and Joff from David Powers @ Powerflex, Joff has gave me his PiperX address, send me yours Broster and i'll try and send em out to you both on Fri if I get the day off and chance to get down the post office...
Joff

23rd Feb 05 at 11:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Send Brosters to me and I'll pass them to him on the A45.
TOMAS

23rd Feb 05 at 11:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Its prob just as easy to post to his as they will be posted on weight...

I'll decide when I get to the postoffice what the damage will be, might be able to save the price of a Twix out of it
broster
Premium Member

23rd Feb 05 at 12:16   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

HAHA cheers for sorting it all mate
Joff

23rd Feb 05 at 12:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Broster - I saw you last night, wearing your beige coat whilst driving.
Get a heater in your car.
broster
Premium Member

23rd Feb 05 at 12:57   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

where was this joff?? i always wear my tumping jacket, my cars got cold recently...dont know why
Greasemonkey

23rd Feb 05 at 12:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Headgasket dude
broster
Premium Member

23rd Feb 05 at 13:03   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

lol, nah not that bad mate, its more due to lack of insulation.....
Joff

23rd Feb 05 at 13:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by broster
where was this joff?? i always wear my tumping jacket, my cars got cold recently...dont know why

A45, just after you'd left the A6 roundabout.
broster
Premium Member

23rd Feb 05 at 13:05   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ahhhh i was on a mission to get home last night dotn remember why!?
Joff

23rd Feb 05 at 13:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So you could make snowmen?
broster
Premium Member

23rd Feb 05 at 13:10   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yes

New Poll