corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Backup solutions

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Backup solutions
Melville

User status: Offline
8th Nov 04 at 13:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

At work were are looking to become a 'paperless office' where everything is scanned on and stored on the server instead of filed away in a filing cabinet. The main concern is backing up as EVERYTHING would be on the network and if something happened we would be f*cked big style!! At the moment we are just backing up to another computer on the network via copy and paste once a day (providing I have time). I really want an automated system and I think a one that could be taken off site would be best incase there is a fire or even someone breaks in and steals it. What would you reccomend? Any rough prices would also be great as well as any links

Cheers
Mark
SetH

8th Nov 04 at 13:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

veritas back up exec software and a tape drive. Do an incremental back up mon-thurs and a full backup on friday. Put tapes in a fireproof safe or have someone take them home.
Melville

8th Nov 04 at 13:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Is that automated Set? Only reason I am asking is that sometimes I am out the office etc and dont always have time to do it on a daily basis.

Cheers Mark
dan_sri

8th Nov 04 at 14:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah can be automated just set a job up and set it to run on certain times on certain days.... backup exec is good
JKGSI

8th Nov 04 at 14:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I can vouch for Veritas, use it work to backup our 250gig PC server and 500gig UNIX system. Incrementals mon-thurs, full PC friday and Full UNIX sat-sun. Working well so far since I changed from tivoli storage manager 3 months ago.
Nismo

8th Nov 04 at 14:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

1 terabyte drive
Dom

8th Nov 04 at 15:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

thing with tapes is that it takes an age to back up to Personally i would go with what nath said about a removeable drive and setup a macro or create a small script to dumb the contents of the server on to the external drive. Then store that in a fire proof safe etc

only thing i would suggest about using HD systems is that your replace them yearly, to reduce drive failures. And if you go for a tape system, dont stick them near any big magnets
DB666

8th Nov 04 at 15:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Designate someone to change the tape/drive every night and make sure someone chckes it.

I work in a computer maintanence company and very often you see backups we setup for people, get it all configured and working only to find in 2 months down the road the person who is meant to be changing the tapes has either stopped it doign it, dissapeared on holiday(this usually nackers it up as its asking for another tape etc) or the person has left/forgot etc.. Make sure its checked or have somoene else who periodically checks it.

How ever backup exec.. isn't cheap.. its a good peice of software i will admit but quite expensive really. the alerts are good too, email/print/alerts etc are all excellent features of backup exec.

If yhou cant afford the cash its asking for the other option is NTbackup which comes with win2k/2k3 & xp/nt(iirc) which is a bit pants but it will do the job but doesn't have an alert feature so you'll have to check the machine out every day for the report.

hth
Half Pint

8th Nov 04 at 15:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No you want a couple of mirrored P690 with a virtualisation (SVC) that backs off to a couple ESS or EMC Clarion's

Half Pint

8th Nov 04 at 15:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you look around you should be able to pick up an IBM 3420 Open read drive
Nismo

8th Nov 04 at 15:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by VisibleMan
thing with tapes is that it takes an age to back up to Personally i would go with what nath said about a removeable drive and setup a macro or create a small script to dumb the contents of the server on to the external drive. Then store that in a fire proof safe etc

only thing i would suggest about using HD systems is that your replace them yearly, to reduce drive failures. And if you go for a tape system, dont stick them near any big magnets

or in the kitchen next to the microwave
Dom

8th Nov 04 at 15:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Nismo
quote:
Originally posted by VisibleMan

or in the kitchen next to the microwave

ive known someone who was asked to look after a few backup tapes and when he came to check them over the weekend found that they were corrupt. Only then did he realise that placing them on his home cinema sub (uses it as a coffee table) was a bad idea

New Poll