corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » IT people In ere

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author IT people In ere
Bart

User status: Offline
   7th Oct 04 at 13:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ok people, im after some opinions on backing up data.

The Current System
We use the Backup software called Handy Backup found at www.handybackup.com
which is very good imo.
There are around 20 PCs which need to be backed up most evenings, all this data is backed up onto a NAS (100gb snap server) via 1 pc called "The backup PC".
The backup pc also has 2x 120gb hard drives in itself, and during the nite takes a copy of everything off the snap servers.
Also copied is data such as Sage Accounts etc which is copied to the backup pc.

Now, a few people are moaning since when they're pc is being backed up it runs all slow, and it really pisses them off.
What i dont think is a good idea is leaving all the PCs on during the nite and doing it then as it cant be any good for them leaving them on 24/7 and im sure the elec bill will be sky high (although that aint the issue).

Does anyone have any other suggestions?
The important information is the My documents on about 20 PCs or so and the accounts info etc.

Adam
andy hirst

7th Oct 04 at 14:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

best to have a server, and have all the work saved on there with user accounts, then just back the server up every nite
3CorsaMeal

7th Oct 04 at 14:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i thought u wanted people who like the stephen king clown
Bart

7th Oct 04 at 14:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by andy hirst
best to have a server, and have all the work saved on there with user accounts, then just back the server up every nite

Yes, very true.

But i dont think the company is willing to pay out for that just yet!

Adam
PaulW

7th Oct 04 at 14:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

schedule the backup to run about an hour after everyone finishes or say at 8pm...

then once thats done add a command to remotely shutdown all the client PC's...

will only work if the clients are running Windows 2000/XP & if its 2000, you need a copy of the SHUTDOWN.EXE file from an XP system (found in C:\WINDOWS)
--Dave--
Banned

7th Oct 04 at 14:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i work in a place where there are over 2000 people on the network in this building alone.

All the computers are left on overnight for updates/backups to be done.
barry_kellett99

7th Oct 04 at 15:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Map the My documents/desktop to a homefolders on the server for every client.
Run logon script to map appropriate drive to said shared folder on server for each user.
Ian
Site Administrator

7th Oct 04 at 16:01   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Leave them on. Best way to shorten the life of electrical equipment is to turn it on and off every day.
Natz

7th Oct 04 at 18:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

my pc says on all the time at work

we have defag programes, updates, virus scans etc which happen over night which all comes off the server.

just sold the group it dept 15k worth of sh*t hot dell servers, back up agents etc etc
all i got to do is sell em a firewall that dont block every site i want to go on!
Sims

7th Oct 04 at 20:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Where i work mate we have about 70 windows XP pcs connected to a Win2000 server. All users docs are stored on the server. the machines are left on 24/7 and we ain't had a problem with any really and backing up/virus checking/forced updates are better done when no one is there.

I think the best solution for you would be able to just backup the user docs folders on the machines which i think should be fairly easy with some good backup software. but your always going to get heavy network traffic/pc lag while this runs.

Also There maybe some way of when they go to shut down, their machine synchronises and uploads their docs to one machine which is left on. Then this one machine could be backed up.

Next best option would be to leave the machines on and then shedule the backup software to shutdown the machines after backup.

I think the most ideal solution would be to have a windows server where the users profiles/data is stored so the server is the only thing left running for backing up. Only problem is the expensive of the server(could get a cheapo one though) and the time setting up and maintaining user accounts.

You could tell them their would be loads of advantages if you had a server. like individual user login accounts, server based software blah blah blah. Could be handy if you have to install a piece of software on each individual machine. It can be a pain in the ass

Anyway mate, i've talked enough boring crap. hope something their might have helped

New Poll