corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » New headunit

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author New headunit
Matty L

User status: Offline
20th Oct 04 at 03:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

very very happy with it.I had a standard unit in before...hooked it upto sony xplod 3 way 6x9s in the back and the sound is amazing! I hear alot of negatives on hear about 6x9s...about them being a poor mans sub and all that....but if so why do they sound so damm good? the speakers came with the car, i myself would not of bought sonys...but gotta say....i fitted some top of the range infinty 6x9s today (well i fitted 1 to compare) and the sony xplods beat them all range.

I'm ordering a sub package tommorow....but i've heard people on hear say that you would not run 6x9s with a sub..yet i've rang round some audio centres...and all of them say its a load of bollocks you guys dont know wot your talking about....its only appyls for huge setups so now i'm confused.

If i was to scrap the nice sounding 6x9s...and just have a sub..with front components....imo that would just sound shit with only bass coming from the back

I suppose i could keep the 6x9s and turn down the bass, but that would effect the whole system and i would have no bass? how would i just turn down the bass on the 6x9s?

[Edited on 20-10-2004 by Matty Lee18]
Richie

20th Oct 04 at 08:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you are phoning car audio centres that will tell you that just to sell you stuff.

We all talk from experience when it comes to 6x9's and subs.

Id stick with a high power set of amped 6x9's if you like them that much.
Dom

20th Oct 04 at 15:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Matty Lee18

very very happy with it.I had a standard unit in before...hooked it upto sony xplod 3 way 6x9s in the back and the sound is amazing! I hear alot of negatives on hear about 6x9s...about them being a poor mans sub and all that....but if so why do they sound so damm good? the speakers came with the car, i myself would not of bought sonys...but gotta say....i fitted some top of the range infinty 6x9s today (well i fitted 1 to compare) and the sony xplods beat them all range.

I'm ordering a sub package tommorow....but i've heard people on hear say that you would not run 6x9s with a sub..yet i've rang round some audio centres...and all of them say its a load of bollocks you guys dont know wot your talking about....its only appyls for huge setups so now i'm confused.

If i was to scrap the nice sounding 6x9s...and just have a sub..with front components....imo that would just sound shit with only bass coming from the back

I suppose i could keep the 6x9s and turn down the bass, but that would effect the whole system and i would have no bass? how would i just turn down the bass on the 6x9s?

[Edited on 20-10-2004 by Matty Lee18]

for starters mate, its impossible for the human ear and brain to determine where low frequencies are coming from, so your talking shite there

two, 6x9s only work well in sealed boxes...but then again you might as well get a decent sub and a pair of coxials in the back

thirdly, your infinity 6x9s would have sounded crapper because the sony's require less power, therefore your HU is powering them to there full potentinal. Wack a DECENT amp, with a few more RMS wattage than whats required for the inifinty's and you will notice a great improvement.

fourth, like richie said you phone an ICE shop...they want to sell, they couldnt give a flying monkey whether it sounds shite or not, as long as they get the cash.

fifth, sonys are shite, plain and simple - if they were soooooo good they would charge a bomb for their stuff, which they dont. They charge enough for chavies to buy their gear

and lastly, you sound like you know fook all about ICE...so i would go on the hunt for some ICE websites, review websites on ICE and the website that is listed in one of the stickies that goes into depth about frequencies and other aspects of ICE installation etc etc

[Edited on 20-10-2004 by VisibleMan]
Matty L

21st Oct 04 at 09:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

bit harsh.

Your right, i know fuck all about i.c.e...which would be expected from somone just getting into it....like i new fuck all about DJing 3 years ago and now my mixing is as tight as a babys ass and i'm playing out.i can tell wot sounds good though, I think its mainly because i use the best headphones on the market when i'm DJing...plus i'm use to huge 10k sound systems, somtimes even more...these sonys rock

Atm i'm installing some pioneer components for the front, how do i go about installing components at the back Is it a parcel shelf jobby? if it is could i get away with using the 6x9s shelf and modding the hole somhow?

and listen know it all i sound like i know fuck all about i.c.e because i dont, thats why i made the post in the first place in the "ice & electrics" thread

[Edited on 21-10-2004 by Matty Lee18]
Matty L

21st Oct 04 at 11:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

**Update**

Just ordered a pioneer 12" sub with infinity amp and wiring plus box.Should be here tommorow...these pioneer 17cm components still need fitting too...shall get to work once i've picked my motor up from sts

P.S, Im scrapping the 6x9s, but i'll have to keep the shelf for now.
Dom

21st Oct 04 at 20:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Matty Lee18
bit harsh.

Your right, i know fuck all about i.c.e...which would be expected from somone just getting into it....like i new fuck all about DJing 3 years ago and now my mixing is as tight as a babys ass and i'm playing out.i can tell wot sounds good though, I think its mainly because i use the best headphones on the market when i'm DJing...plus i'm use to huge 10k sound systems, somtimes even more...these sonys rock

Atm i'm installing some pioneer components for the front, how do i go about installing components at the back Is it a parcel shelf jobby? if it is could i get away with using the 6x9s shelf and modding the hole somhow?

and listen know it all i sound like i know fuck all about i.c.e because i dont, thats why i made the post in the first place in the "ice & electrics" thread

[Edited on 21-10-2004 by Matty Lee18]

yea soz dude, but when people say sony stuff is good....its a blantant lie, because sony stuff is cack. Only thing there good at is CRT tube tvs - everything else they create is cack.

but yea, like i said, wack your infinity's with a decent amp and you would notice the difference straight away - and fair enough you use 10k club systems and 200 quid cans for mixing, but neither of them have quality - DJ cans are ment to be clear at high volumes and club system are just to be loud and beable to play loud for long periods. When you work with 18 grand speakers all day (>>HERE<<) which produce near enough a flat line response in a acousticly designed control room which costs four times that, then you start to notice big falls in ICE gear, hence why i said sonys are cack and i can tell you there are loads of people on these boards to back that up.

anyways, personally i would have stayed away from pioneer as well mate, well their lower end stuff anyways as then tend to be abit harsh and bright, and clearness isnt that great. Instead, i would have either spent abit more and got a set of inifinity comps or alpine comps, or spent abit more than that and gone with bostons or focals if you have the cash.
Eitherway, get a decent amp, like a JL, DLS etc to power them and it will make abit of an improvement. And remember to wack a few more RMS wattage to them than what they require (ie: comps RMS rates at 60w, get a 100w RMS 2 channel amp and turn the gains down a tad, lowers distortion )

As for your sub package, well it will be alright mate, but it wont be great - the amp is fairly good, but the pioneer sub will let it down abit But have a play when you get and see what you can get out of it But i would start saving for a JL sub mate as they are pretty much standard in terms of ICE and they offer a good overall sound and pack abit of welly

but like i said in other posts mate, i would really start googling for reviews on stuff before you buy, its helps you loads. Or post in here, either me, richie, adi and co will try our best to help out - but most of us have been through or heard enough installs so have a pretty good idea on whats kicking and whats worth binning
Also have a butchers in one of the stickys in the ICE bit for that website link, its has lots of info on as aspects of ICE installation and like i said in my last post offers alot of more indepth stuff about sound, frequencies etc

eitherway mate, have fun, if you need anymore help or what an opinion etc then post away

New Poll