corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » once and for all induction kit or drilled airbox? whats the best

Poll: once and for all induction kit or drilled airbox? whats the best
  drilled airbox
  pipercross viper

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author once and for all induction kit or drilled airbox? whats the best
WhiteGSI

User status: Offline
8th Aug 04 at 03:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i have a viper with a 100mm cold air feed but i had it on for so long now i cant remember if the performance is better. i know its louder. but nuff people keep saying a drilled airbox is better. thinking of swapping over tommorow to a drilled airbox.
MoNkEy MaGiC

8th Aug 04 at 10:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

what the hell u talking about man!
the viper is one of the best induction kits you can get!!

although it is stupidly overpriced for what you get i have to admit

my viper is much better than my old KnN induction kit and air box i had on my Gsi corsa B......

truthfully i would say the viper works best at mid to higher revs! its because of that long air feed! so its best to keep it short as possible!

or you can do what i did and disconnect the air feed of the front of the induction kit you get a much nicer and louder intake roar/growl after 3k revs
WhiteGSI

8th Aug 04 at 11:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah i know its a quality piece of kit. but i swear my car heats up much more in traffic now. temp gauge goes well high. i was just really wonderin if its worth the extra noise. arethey healthy for the engine? my local garage says they dont do your engin too much good.
just for the record its a GSi with fast roadcams, ported and gas flowed cylinder head. full stainless system.so its not my only source of extra power.
do you think i should keep the viper on then? bearing in mind the mods
or should i resort to the original airbox. perhaps drill it. after all this was designed to be on the car. any thoughts/opinions appreciated
Ajones_17

8th Aug 04 at 11:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've got a 1.6 sport and although i've never had a viper on it, i've had other filters i.e. simota K&N ect. I think it's best to keep your airbox on. But you should De-Resrict it and put a K&N panel filter in there. Thats what i found to be the best thing. It's much stronger at the top of the rev range with the modified airbox than with a filter and it doesn't feel like it's stressin your engine like induction kits and cone filters do. Andy.
MoNkEy MaGiC

8th Aug 04 at 12:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeh the gsi engines do heat up very quick, mine and my mates do the same! so its not a problem...just make sure your coolant/water is topped upto maximum constantly....i used to only keep it on minimum and the fan kicked in real late, like 100 degrees bang on! since ive kept it to the max it kicks in about 96 degrees

how can the induction kit do the engine any bad!!!? its a air FILTER at the end of the day, it does exactly what the old air box did!

i would keep it on if i was you with those mods
the only bad thing about the viper is that your petrol consumption may go up by a bit depending on driver, but its same for any aftermarket filter really as you will tend to boot it more for the sound but really just depends on driver, if you dont boot it and want to save money on petrol and dont want the noise then take it of but then what a waste of money man!

[Edited on 08-08-2004 by MoNkEy MaGiC]
WhiteGSI

8th Aug 04 at 12:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah i might just shorten the cold air feed a bit and give the foam inside a bloody good clean. my mechanic says cos the filter is foam its gonna obviously let more air in and with that more dust etc

also with regard to heating up quick. i find it does it if im trundling along in traffic constantly using the clutch . it tends to heat up quite quick. any ideas?
MoNkEy MaGiC

8th Aug 04 at 13:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by WhiteGSI
also with regard to heating up quick. i find it does it if im trundling along in traffic constantly using the clutch . it tends to heat up quite quick. any ideas?

yep mine does that to so dont worry
what is your average engine temp when driving along with out traffic? mine is on average usually between 90-94 degrees

i got the air feed just behind the top grill on the far left just under the bonnet lip, i managed to fit the big ring behind it too, looks mental because its gold in colour behind a silver mesh grill

i cleaned my viper after a year of it being on their!!!!!!!
it was full of black dirt and grime!!!
use the little spray can it comes with, its really good, spray it on their , and leave for few mins and use a cloth or tissue to wipe the shite of
J100RSA

8th Aug 04 at 13:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

BMC CDA far better than viper and its cheeper
miles

8th Aug 04 at 15:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by MoNkEy MaGiC
or you can do what i did and disconnect the air feed of the front of the induction kit

LOL, disconnect the part of it that gives it any performance advantage over a regular induction kit.

A K&N or any other induction kit/panel filter filters worse than the standard paper filter by quite a long way. Especially if they are never cleaned!

An air filter wont make any odds to the temperature of the coolent.
topshot_2k
Banned

8th Aug 04 at 19:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

LMAO at K&N being worse than standard filter
after putting my K&N on with heat shield and 2 cold air feeds it took out a real bad flatspot at 3-3500rpm, wont have added bhp but certainly aint lost any power, looks good and sounds sweet too

K&N 57i + heatshield and cold air feed OR Viper IMO

[Edited on 08-08-2004 by topshot_2k]
20valver
Banned

16th Oct 08 at 00:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

as per title none of the above, drilled airbox is crap, you could try making your own piper cross viper enclosed induction kit

[Edited on 16-10-2008 by 20valver]
chrisritch

16th Oct 08 at 14:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

stop pitching the make your own bollocks, no one has been interested yet!
cunningham

16th Oct 08 at 14:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ahd a viper on my 1.4 sport the girl has a drilled airbox and pipercross filter in her corsa c sri and i have a pipercross foam cone on the v6 no flat spots whatsoever
Pete_vxl

16th Oct 08 at 14:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i said airbox, sounds better and on my car it goes better
Ellis

16th Oct 08 at 14:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by 20valver
as per title none of the above, drilled airbox is crap, you could try making your own piper cross viper enclosed induction kit
Who cares, stop thread digging - no need!
Pete_vxl

16th Oct 08 at 14:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

fuckin hello, no wonder i didnt know anybodys names in here.
gez bay

16th Oct 08 at 14:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ive had a simota , standard box restricted and k&n is much better
Corsa_Quadz

16th Oct 08 at 15:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

wouldn have a viper, they cost mega bucks for what you get!

Drilled airbox with K&N panel filter is the cheapest option, and prevents heatsoke from the engine as its enclosed.

I think the best option is a BMC CDA enclosed filter. I have a replica on mine and its great throughout the range. I paid £39 for it, much better imo.
Pete_vxl

16th Oct 08 at 15:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ive got the bmc too but prefer the box, might be just my mind messing but i think it performs better with the box.
Corsa_Quadz

16th Oct 08 at 15:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

bogging down is usually caused by either too much air, or warm air from engine.

At the end of the day its personal choice an ur budget
Corsa_Quadz

16th Oct 08 at 15:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Pete_macari
ive got the bmc too but prefer the box, might be just my mind messing but i think it performs better with the box.

it varies mate, tbh i never had a drilled box so i wouldn no, but taking the cold feed off the BMC and having it directing air to the filter instead of being straight on the end has really made a difference imo.

In all fairness its the best 39 quid ive spent in a while! Apart from a lezza session in the local strip club!
Gareth F

16th Oct 08 at 19:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My what a big hole................. time to stop.
Valver why not make your own thread about what your doing instead of talking about it in everyone else
DannyB
Premium Member

16th Oct 08 at 20:21   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What a fucking tool, why bring back a 4 year old thread?
Corsa_Quadz

17th Oct 08 at 08:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Grave Digger FTL
Gareth F

17th Oct 08 at 16:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

He keeps poping the "make your own viper induction kit" into everything and anything about filters, i asked him to make his own thread about it instead of filling other peoples threads with it.

New Poll