corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Filler primer?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Filler primer?
Drysdale

User status: Offline
   26th Jun 04 at 21:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Right guys, been spending the last week or so smoothing down my panel bits. Looking really good at the moment, no 'orange peel' at all. Went down shops and picked up some yellow filler primer, white primer and the colour of my choice as well as clear lacquer.

Could anybody tell me how the filler primer should be used, how it work etcs. Does it go on as a pre-base coat, i.e. before primer? How many layers etc etc.

Thanks.
ed

26th Jun 04 at 22:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You put it over the filler and pannels, its used to get rid of any tiny airholes that develop when your sanding and filling stuff... Then you just prime *I think*
Drysdale

26th Jun 04 at 22:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I thought filler primer was used to fill any tiny gaps that may have developed while sanding so acts as a 'filler' in itself? Was having a chat with uncle who called it knacker lacquer cos it filled up the 'nackered'/worn parts?
ed

26th Jun 04 at 22:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yea that too... It's really thick stuff, You lay it on to get rid of imperfections in the filling, and little air holes in the filler. I'm no expert - this is just what I have found out when I have Used the stuff...
Drysdale

26th Jun 04 at 22:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Alright then. Thats enough encouragement for my to try it on my door pockets..

Thanks again. You seem to be proving my wrong on a lot of threads tonite
Kris TD

26th Jun 04 at 22:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you dont need to use any other primer over the top of it.
that yellow stuff is fine too put paint strasight over the top.
Drysdale

26th Jun 04 at 22:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just bought 1600ml of white primer for all the dash bits so I'll probably use it anyway...
Kris TD

26th Jun 04 at 23:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

1600 ml??? christ thats enough to prime a whole car.
Drysdale

26th Jun 04 at 23:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

lol... I like to be prepared. Still got about 2l of Poseiden Blue from my Saxo...
JOPO

27th Jun 04 at 00:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

aye jus fire the filler primer on kinda heavy tae fill the bad bits then if its ruff gee it a wee sand down till its smooth n jus paint over it
Drysdale

27th Jun 04 at 13:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Good stuff this!
waynep

27th Jun 04 at 13:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

make sure u wet and dry over filler primer it werks a treat
Drysdale

27th Jun 04 at 13:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah noticed it does fill small imperfections but also builds up quite a bit. I havent used much either. Will wet n dry with 1200 grit tommorow then go for the first coat of white primer.
MattyB

27th Jun 04 at 18:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

"Filler Primer" is for PRIMING FILLER.

Ask any bodyshop expert, it is NOT designed to fill imperfections. If it does, your just spraying on loads to make it look like you are.

To fill imprefections in filler, use a High build primer, then you'll see what a 'thick' primer really is. Stopper is another alternative and is much cheaper.

Whatever primer you use, you should always go over the top in the recommended coloured primer. ie: you wouldnt want to be spraying glacier white over a yellow filler primer. It affects the shade of the finish.

Matt

[Edited on 27-06-2004 by MattyB]
Mav 3000

27th Jun 04 at 18:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Good luck.

Oh, and chance your side repeaters to clear Vauhall Corsa C ones
Drysdale

27th Jun 04 at 20:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Bollocks thats what it was I was looking for, hi build primer!

Mav - Yep those orange badboys need to go I know...but I'd rather get the bigger things out the way first...wheels....new skirts etc
koni

27th Jun 04 at 23:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ok,
Filler primer is just a build primer. It can be used to prime a car with or without imperfections. What most good bodyshops do if say respraying a full car thats had allot of bodywork is use the filler primer as a guide coat. This is when the primer is applied heavilly enough that if any imperefections show up in the guide coat, there is enough build to sometimes flatten out the imprefection without the need to fill. It is not used to fill in holes etc, fine fillers and stoppers are used for this.
As for the primer affection the shade of the paint, thats not true. Coloured primer is actually used to reduce the amout of paint needed to get the "true colour of the paint"... e.g. if you used a plake primer to paint a metalic white, you would need to coat the car about 5 times. Whereas if you used a white primer, you could get away with 2 coats and then into lacquer. Coloured primers or tining a primer is used to save bodyshops money. The only time primer would affect the colour is when painting a car with a 2 coat pearl colour, which will require its only ground coat to make up the finish (this isnt flip paint, allot of every day cars have this type of finish).

So in basic answer to your question, the 2k high build primer or filler primer will meet all your needs and you wont need any others to do the job... and if its a pearl colour, then the paint data sheet will tell you what what colour ground coat you need and its as simple as having the primer tinted or buying a coloured primer that suits your paint.

hope this helps
Mistamist

27th Jun 04 at 23:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

in my local Halfords they do half litre of filler primer for just under a tenner, i basically used this, put on two really thick coats and left it to dry and gave it a wet and dry with some 800 grade, came out really smooth and got rid of the dents and scratches in the original material (bonnett and boot)
STEvieXE

29th Jun 04 at 22:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

u shouldnt be filling pin holes in repairs with high build primer. pin holes should be stoppered up. the high build will sink thru time and ull see the pin holes again...

New Poll