corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » GSi Problems, possible Cracked Pistons

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author GSi Problems, possible Cracked Pistons
Yidwann

User status: Offline
22nd Jun 04 at 22:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hi Guys n Gals,

Im posting this up for a friend as she is a little shy, and I know nowt about Corsa's not really my bag, but she needs a bit of help.

Recently, the car has been smoking a lot from burning oil. Recently refilled the oil and it was gone in about two weeks. Thought it might be the oil temp going up and making it run thin and burn off, but oil temp appears to be fine. So perhaps burning up on the piston rings or something along those lines? She took it into the Garage and they have had a bit of a fumble around and have come to the conclusion that one of the pistons is cracked and it will cost about 2k to fix? I'm at an end, but it doesn't sound right to me. So basically I need to ask.

1. Has anyone come across the same problems?
2. Could it be a cracked Piston
3. And if it is a piston (something im not ruling out) should the bill really be that amount, or is someone trying to take a girl for a ride?

Any ideas you can throw my way would gladly appreciate!

Cheers
Tom
mike_1.2LS96

22nd Jun 04 at 22:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

1. Never heard of a cracked piston before
2. Probably worn piston rings
3. No, its shouldn't cost 2k, less than £500 really and these engines can be bought from £300 in good working order.

They cant say its cracked pistons unless they take the engine apart, and if it was, it wouldn't run at all.

It is possibly one or more:
Head gasket gone,
Valve stem seals gone,
Piston rings gone.

Just from my experience.
Corsa_B1.2

22nd Jun 04 at 22:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Piston rings or valve stem seals mate.

Cracked piston my arse. The car would probably run like crap if a piston was cracked.

They have just seen that she doesnt know alot about it and their taking advantage.
corsa_godfather

22nd Jun 04 at 22:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

got to be piston rings.
corsa_godfather

22nd Jun 04 at 22:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

or failing that the head gasket.cant see it being valve stems
Mistamist

22nd Jun 04 at 22:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

my mate had a hole on one of his pistons on his 1.6 vectra and it ran like a pile of shit, he used 4 litres of oil a week, smoke billowed out the back, the plug on the cilinder with the damaged piston was covered with oil in less than 100 miles.

cracked piston would follow the same symptoms, she has probaby got what the others have said, most likely worn piston rings, valve stems

how many miles has the car done?
GuildfordCorsa
Banned

22nd Jun 04 at 22:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

There fuck all wrong with the pistons i drove the car it drive and runs ok
Darren

23rd Jun 04 at 08:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Valve stem seals, they went on mine and it smoked like a biatch on start up - cost about 500 squid
bravotwozero007

23rd Jun 04 at 21:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

that sounds like rings, is it smoking all the time or just when you start the car? i had to have mine done, if you piston was cracked itd run like a bag of sh*t
Yidwann

23rd Jun 04 at 22:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thanks for the replies guys! I thought it would run like a John Deere on lead if something was really foooked up!

Mr GC, seeming as you have taken the motor for a spin! I'll now leave it in your capable hands!

Thanks again Folks!

Tom

New Poll