corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Whats wrong with my wiring?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Whats wrong with my wiring?
BigSte

User status: Offline
19th Apr 04 at 08:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My girlfriend had an amp n sub in her old corsa which I put in myself.........I then removed everythin the other day and put it in her new car.......it was in and playing for about 10 minutes then the amp just packed in (protect light came on), the headunit still plays fine tho.

Luckily the guy who we bought the amp off is a friend so he is sendin it back as a demic and replacin ours but what could I have done wrong?

This is what I did:
1. Wire from battery to power on amp (inc in-line fuse)
2. Earth lead from bolt on metal chassis to earth on amp
3. Phono leads from head unit into first two pre-outs on amp
4. Auto antenna from antenna lead on head unit to remote on amp
5. Sub wired into ported box then ports wired to plus on first channel and minus on the second channel?

What could be wrong with the circuit as I dont want to fuck up another amp cos he probably wont change it again and was quite pricey to start with.
drunkenfool

19th Apr 04 at 10:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

looks fine to me. Is the amp bridgeable? Is the sub single or dual voice coil too? You might not be showing the amp the right impedence ofthe sub if it is DVC wired up wrong.
BigSte

19th Apr 04 at 10:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

im not too good with stuff like that and didnt understand a word of you post .lol.

I'll post the spec up of the amp and sub in a sec mate
BigSte

19th Apr 04 at 11:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

strugglin findin the amp........this is the same make as my gf's. My gf's is 1600w and has four channels.

http://audiovisual.kelkoo.co.uk/sitesearch/go.jsp?offerId=3780723100314923uk3780723-RENEGADE-REN-800+Amplifier&orw

This is her sub........no spec on here tho
http://www.cheap-car-audio.co.uk/car-subwoofers-sony-12inch-sub-1200w-prod583.html?cheapaudio=bd8e3828a893978b0f65037c0f473a07
Ally

19th Apr 04 at 13:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Could have been a dodgy earth or incorrect bridging.
BigSte

19th Apr 04 at 14:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i know this might sound dumb but whats bridging? Is it when puttin wires to channels?
corsa_lover

19th Apr 04 at 15:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

sounds like when my friend blew his amp check your entire lenght of power cable and check for any cuts in the wire coz if there is its shorting out by touching the car if this is the case and you just wire it straight up again itll blow the second amp
Richie

20th Apr 04 at 12:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by BigSte
i know this might sound dumb but whats bridging? Is it when puttin wires to channels?

Its when you use the power of both channels together in mono.

Basically if you have a 2 channel amp, you can bridge them to get a single power rating for running a sub ect.
C2RL R

20th Apr 04 at 23:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by corsa_lover
sounds like when my friend blew his amp check your entire lenght of power cable and check for any cuts in the wire coz if there is its shorting out by touching the car if this is the case and you just wire it straight up again itll blow the second amp

if the power cable is fused then surely if there is a problem it will blow the fuse and not the amp?????
Richie

20th Apr 04 at 23:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yup thats correct. When the protect light comes on its usually a ground fault or a problem on the amplification side, such as incorrect impedence due to incorrect sub wiring, or a short on the subwoofer end.
C2RL R

20th Apr 04 at 23:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

thought so

New Poll