corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Gear Linkage problems (20xe corsa)

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Gear Linkage problems (20xe corsa)
DP.

User status: Offline
27th Dec 03 at 12:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

We have extended the two parellel bars by 15mm each and connected the linkage all up but cant quite get it right.

Managed to connect it so that we can get into reverse, 1st, 3rd and 5th but the gear stick wont pull back into 2nd or 4th.

Has anyone had the same problem or got any advice?

Cheers
J100RSA

27th Dec 03 at 15:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

no cos i dont do it like that cos them spaceres are silly and a wast of time
Dave

27th Dec 03 at 17:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

How come you didnt just remove the gearbox spacer? Its much easier that way.
Colin.S

28th Dec 03 at 00:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Have you reset the linkage?

I cant remember exactly how you do it (It says in the haynes manual)

From memory-

1) Put the g/box in 2nd gear.
2) Slacken off the bolt where the linkage comes through the bulkhead.
3) Take off the gear stick gaiter, there should be a little hole on the side.
4) Put the gear stick into 2nd gear & lock in place by putting a small pin in the hole.
5) Go round to the front of the car, ther should be a small plug on the side of the g/box near the linkage, take it out & put a pin in the hole to lock it in 2nd.
6) Now both the g/box & gear stick are locked in 2nd gear.
7) Then tighten the bolt on the linkage, pull out the pins, put the plug & gaiter back in.

Job done
Colin.S

28th Dec 03 at 00:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just read that you cant get it in 2nd

Slacken off the linkage bolt first, then put it in 2nd on the g/box by hand.
Andy_S

28th Dec 03 at 15:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Its quite easy to do mate, you can lock the gear lever in neutral, then you just have to trial-and-error tightening the linkage up
lee mitchell

29th Dec 03 at 09:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

to get 4th and 2nd better straighten one of the bars that the rod attatches to because it fouls the steering coloum
DP.

29th Dec 03 at 19:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i tried to straighten the bar that fouls the steering column.. but even then there wasn't enough movement to get 2nd or 4th... the sliding thing on the actual gearbox wasn't been pushed far enough in.. so the part of the linkage that attaches to the gearbox we extended by 10mm this is as well as previously extending the 2 parellel bars by 15mm.

Reconnected all the linkage again and now i can get reverse, 1st, 2nd and 3rd. No 4th or 5th

Left it at that for the moment and carried on with the conversion which is just about finished now. When its running will come back to the gear linkage problem.

Any more ideas anyone? I guess i might even end up taking the gearbox spacer out if its the only way
Dave

29th Dec 03 at 19:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Take the spacer out then,you dont need it.
Dave

29th Dec 03 at 19:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Also,not being able to get 4th and 5th sounds like you have set up the linkage slightly wrong. If you start the engine you may find what you think is reverse is actually first. Loosen the shaft off and reset it as per Haynes.
DP.

29th Dec 03 at 19:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hmm "being able to get 4th and 5th sounds like you have set up the linkage slightly wrong. If you start the engine you may find what you think is reverse is actually first."

interesting thought, i doubt it but will definately give it a try before removing the spacer!

Thanks
Dave

29th Dec 03 at 22:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Why the obsession with keeping the spacer? Lose and lose all yout troubles,honestly,take it from someone with a 2ltr Corsa with all five gears sat on the drive now!!I was having exactly the same problems with mine till a phone call to Beardy where he told me to take the spacer out.

After I finished mine the linkage slipped on the knurled shaft that comes out of the car,meaning all the gears moved across one,1st was where reverse is,4th was where second should be etc. It only has to be a couple of degrees out on the shaft to knacker everything up. When you get it set up right nip the shaft up very very tight then maybe a quick blob of weld on it.
DP.

29th Dec 03 at 23:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ok i'll remove the spacer... but then wont i need the linkage standard? we have already cut end welded it etc etc
Dave

29th Dec 03 at 23:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No, I wouldn't have thought so, the only reason for extending it was to clear the speedo drive on the gearbox. As long as it doesn't hit anything else with the spacer out you will be fine.

On the other hand if it is clearing everything now you may aswell leave the spacer in and concentrate on altering the position of the linkage on the shaft. If you get under the car,loosen the linkage and rotate it anti-clockwise slightly when you are looking towards the back of the car you should find you can get 4th and 5th again, not too far though or you'll lose reverse! Its a fairly fine balance.
DP.

1st Jan 04 at 23:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What a nice surprise.. after filling gearbox with oil and taking the car out for a test spin i found that i could get all gears with no problems at all. Not only that but it was like having quick shift

well impressed at the how the linkage modifcations turned out
Colin.S

2nd Jan 04 at 00:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Did you remove the spacer in the end?
DP.

2nd Jan 04 at 18:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

no i left it in Didn't adjust anything at all on the linkage after extending it.

New Poll