corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Car guzzling oil

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Car guzzling oil
scorchingpost

User status: Offline
16th Dec 03 at 09:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My car seems to be churning through oil rather quickly. I've checked for leaks and it doesn't seem to be this, so i can only assume its getting burnt up by my engine. The exhaust is a little bit smokey, but not dramatically so.
Any ideas what may cause this/how to solve it?
And is it okay to just keep topping it up with oil, or should i really be getting a regualr oil change?
Gambit

16th Dec 03 at 09:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

what miles on the car? and what rating of oil are you using?
scorchingpost

16th Dec 03 at 09:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

63k. I don't know what oil is in there actually - garage put in last lot, but assume it is reasonable stuff. Perhaps I should go and ask for an oil change and specify a certain type of oil to go in? I'm driving a 1.6 sport (99)
Gambit

16th Dec 03 at 10:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

run 10w40 or 15w40semi-synthetic in it, anything less will be too thin & u'll just be pissin it out the exhaust.

could also be the stem seals, but try an oil change first, and then keep an eye on the level
Cybermonkey

16th Dec 03 at 10:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yes, dont forget to change the filter too. Could be just wrong oil but if vauxhall did last oil change, it should be the correct viscosity. Maybe stem seals like gambit said.
scorchingpost

16th Dec 03 at 10:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

anyone care to elaborate on the stem seals thing, as its all greek to me! I'm grateful for all the help.
Cybermonkey

16th Dec 03 at 10:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

well the valves have seals on them to stop oil reaching the cylinders, if the seals are shot, oil gets into the engine, burnt, then thrown out the exhaust in big black plumes of smoke
scorchingpost

16th Dec 03 at 10:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

£££££ ?
Cybermonkey

16th Dec 03 at 10:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yes ££££
Greasemonkey

16th Dec 03 at 10:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Parts are cheap its the labour, the seals are 19p each !!!! you need 16.
Mine are gettin done in 3 weeks when cars out the body shop, i got my engine back from a full bottom end re-build and we put fully sinthetic oil in and was smoking real bad pulling off and backing off the throttle and on gear changes, smoke was blueish. The head was apparently re-build a few months back but it seems it wasnt or am i jus using the wrong oil, i mean the smoke was thick couldnt see people behind you and would put a smoke screen across a roundabout that would linger for ages and impare other road users vision is it the stem seals
scorchingpost

16th Dec 03 at 11:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i had a full bottom end rebuild (well new bottom end) and a head change too. It isn't smoking badly though at all (looks bad coz of cold weather, but is white rather than black or blue)

New Poll