corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Uni Students - Graduate Jobs

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Uni Students - Graduate Jobs
jrsteeve

User status: Offline
30th Nov 03 at 15:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by jrsteeve
nowadays its not hard to get a degree, so employers don't take as much notice anymore. Its experience that they look for, and also vocational qualifications.

Its the people that take courses that have nothing to do with the job they are applying for that annoy me.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

why? am in 3rd year of medical microbiology and am wanting to be a pilot.. it makes no difference.

Thats exactly what i mean, why take someone else's chance of a degree in something they actually want to work as, to do something entirely different.

If you studied physics or mathematics to be a pilot then fair enough, but people like that are just wasting money and a fair few years of their lives, studying someting that they have no intention to use in their future career.
jrsteeve

30th Nov 03 at 15:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

For me, i think university would be a waste of time. For one, i couldn't live without a decent income. If i were to go, i would study a business course.There are numerous people out there now with business degrees, so wouldn't make much of a difference to my chances of getting a job.

My brother is studying medicine, so fair enough, he doesn't have a choice, but so many people go now just for the sake of it.

My plan now is to start a voactional business and marketing evening course at a business college. This gives me the best of both worlds. A further education, without the huge debt of full time study, and also experience.
Ian
Site Administrator

30th Nov 03 at 15:44   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

A lot more people are dabbling with computers than say 10 years ago but the money is still good for the right people. Two lads I was uni with both got firsts, one is now a consultant working with enterprise-scale (ie. very large and complex) databases. The other works for Morgan Stanley investment bank as an application developer, working with .NET, C-sharp, and all that difficult stuff. They're both older than me and both earn more than their age.

I didn't do as well results-wise but my degree was still some leverage in my current job to negiotiate a higher starting salary. I've probably only just broken even compared to if I'd been working for three years instead of studying but its worth doing. I'm futher up the scale for other movements within the place now.

University is as much about sticking something out for three years and proving a very general aptitude as it is about learning things that you're actually going to use.

[Edited on 30-11-2003 by Ian]
Mikorsa16v

30th Nov 03 at 17:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by j1400
Have you been searching reed.co.uk, steppingstone.co.uk, monster etc..... for graduate jobs? There's loads in there.

good reply! there is lots of relevant jobs on these sites

<<  1    2    3  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Uni Students - Graduate Jobs 23 database queries in 0.0102701 seconds