corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Uni Students - Graduate Jobs

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Uni Students - Graduate Jobs
vibrio
Banned

User status: Offline
29th Nov 03 at 22:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

sports science is ghey as fuck
whitter45

29th Nov 03 at 23:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

im in the same position. Graduated in July doing Aeropsace Engineering (BEng). Can't seem to get a job yet
R Lee

29th Nov 03 at 23:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

im studying design management, fook knows where im going to find work, lol
whitter45

29th Nov 03 at 23:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Believe me the easiest part is gettin the degree and in my case that wasn't easy. My degree was so so hard
CRB 553

30th Nov 03 at 00:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by jrsteeve
nowadays its not hard to get a degree, so employers don't take as much notice anymore. Its experience that they look for, and also vocational qualifications.

Its the people that take courses that have nothing to do with the job they are applying for that annoy me.

why? am in 3rd year of medical microbiology and am wanting to be a pilot.. it makes no difference.
Jordan1

30th Nov 03 at 00:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

its all about experience these days like some1 said, its good 2 have good qualifications tho but experience helps u so much! i will probably need 2 leave uni at the end of this year and this is my 3rd
Paul_J

30th Nov 03 at 02:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The thing is - its not so much people expect to automatically get a job by getting a degree, but its getting to a point where if you don't have a degree - your at a disadvantage for getting a job.

My sister decided not to goto uni, and she's applied for quite a few jobs and a lot of the places said 'It'd be alot better if you had a degree, in anything - just shows your able to stick with something for 3 years'

thats the thing, in the old days having a degree was more a rarity - so people who had them had a advantage and employers would really like them.

But now, employers expect them, but there's so many people doing degree's now adays that they're not a advantage like they used to be - hence no one can get a job... yet it still costs £££ and without one you'd be struggling to get a job too.

Its a lose lose situation.
si_reading

30th Nov 03 at 02:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I finish my final year 2004 - so I should be looking for a proper job soon, but haven't started looking into it yet! My course is computing/internet geared so would want my job to incoporate some of this (hopefully).

Oh and I am at Manchester Met Uni!

[Edited on 30-11-2003 by si_reading]
CRB 553

30th Nov 03 at 03:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if u want big$$$ need a degree, unless u can play football lol or have a mint idea one day!
MarkM

30th Nov 03 at 08:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Its helps if your are doing an academic degree and at at good uni...im doing Law so when I finish I need to go to "law school" for year or two then I will be able to apply for jobs at firms...if you do something like "sports science" which has no specific route after u finish I think u will always find trouble getting work...

stick to academic degree's I say!
Craig6682

30th Nov 03 at 08:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I did a HND for two years and graduated last summer. Was looking for a job for three months but just couldn't get one so i decided to do a degree. Prob just be the same when i finish the degree but you know what, that's life !!!
Craig6682

30th Nov 03 at 08:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by sport16v
Its helps if your are doing an academic degree and at at good uni...im doing Law so when I finish I need to go to "law school" for year or two then I will be able to apply for jobs at firms...if you do something like "sports science" which has no specific route after u finish I think u will always find trouble getting work...

I did Computer Studies but the jobs i was looking at were for like £200 a week. That's just a joke !!! I earn more than that now working part time for Arnold Clark
MarkM

30th Nov 03 at 08:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah but computer studies is too generalised you need to specialize in an area...thats where u can command better wages...
Craig6682

30th Nov 03 at 08:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Yeah but computer studies is too generalised you need to specialize in an area...thats where u can command better wages...

Everyone is into computers these days so it's gonna be harder in three years time to find a job. Just have to see what happens.

Anyways, gotta go to work.
Phil321

30th Nov 03 at 09:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

When do you graduate sport16v?
MarkM

30th Nov 03 at 10:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not for a couple of years mate...why?
Phil321

30th Nov 03 at 10:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just wondering. Remember chatting to you about this before a while back.

Anyway, I got my final interview on Friday so wish me luck!
MarkM

30th Nov 03 at 10:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah good luck mate you should be sound...
Phil321

30th Nov 03 at 10:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Better had be. Wasted too much time on the application process to mess it up now!
MarkM

30th Nov 03 at 10:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Mate whatever will be will be....chill out will be fine...
James R

30th Nov 03 at 10:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Have you been searching reed.co.uk, steppingstone.co.uk, monster etc..... for graduate jobs? There's loads in there.
vibrio
Banned

30th Nov 03 at 11:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by CRB 553
quote:
Originally posted by jrsteeve
nowadays its not hard to get a degree, so employers don't take as much notice anymore. Its experience that they look for, and also vocational qualifications.

Its the people that take courses that have nothing to do with the job they are applying for that annoy me.

why? am in 3rd year of medical microbiology and am wanting to be a pilot.. it makes no difference.

that pisses me off. why not just join first off rather than taking someones place on a course they may actually use.
vibrio
Banned

30th Nov 03 at 11:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

sorry thats crap
vibrio
Banned

30th Nov 03 at 11:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

no it is not. most places now adays require a post-graduate degree. computing studies is just the foundation for doing something better at a higher level.
IntaCepta

30th Nov 03 at 15:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i'm planning to grad this july with a first or 2.1 at least. Since bachelors are pretty much worthless, i might consider taking a masters. But really want sponsership from a decent job.

I know it may sound unrelistic to find a sponser, but thats what i set out to do.

if not, i'll just go with the flow lol

<<  1    2    3  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Uni Students - Graduate Jobs 22 database queries in 0.2107871 seconds