corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Fuel pump likely probs? (1.4 Hi-torq)

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Fuel pump likely probs? (1.4 Hi-torq)
andy t

User status: Offline
26th Nov 03 at 08:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Corsa won't start when its cold or when it's been standing for a few days. Did the Diagnostic test (16 pin) came up with 1 fault which was 'Fuel pump'

What could this mean? Could it be just a blocked filter? (I've already bought a new one) Or is the pump blocked or broken?

Car runs (or ran) fine when warmed up ???

Where is the fuel pump on this car, is it in the tank?

The fuel filter I bought is the ally canister type, where does it go?

Thanks for any help,
miles

26th Nov 03 at 08:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The pump is under the rear seat. If you stick your head by it you should hear it prime when you first turn the ignition on.

The filter is just infront of the drivers rear wheel on the nova, probably the same on corsa.
Cybermonkey

26th Nov 03 at 08:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the fuel pump is situated in the tank itself. Get a mate to listen around the fuel tank whilst turning over, a distinct whirring noise should occur. If not, its knackered. Did you get code 28, 29 or 32? One could be a faulty contact or low voltage meaning its had it. Check the fuse and relay before taking the pump out, and remember that you should empty the tank to start with.

Dave
Cybermonkey

26th Nov 03 at 08:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by miles
The pump is under the rear seat. If you stick your head by it you should hear it prime when you first turn the ignition on.

The filter is just infront of the drivers rear wheel on the nova, probably the same on corsa.

Miles thats not the filter, thats the charcoal canister for the fuel tank fumes. The filter is located next to the fuel tank under the rear of the car.

miles

26th Nov 03 at 08:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No its not, you miss read rear wheel for front wheel, and drivers side for passenger side

I've taken out and replaced my fuel pumps at least a dozen times with a full tank of fuel
Cybermonkey

26th Nov 03 at 08:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

on the nova yes. The fuel filter on the corsa hatchbacks is next to the tank. Does your nova have a charcoal canister?
miles

26th Nov 03 at 08:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My nova did have a charcol canister, but I ripped it out. It was in the passenger front wheel arch.

The fuel filter on the nova is next to the tank, which is just infront of the rear wheels. Hence the filter being just in front of the drivers side rear wheel.
Cybermonkey

26th Nov 03 at 08:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yesh
andy t

27th Nov 03 at 08:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers for all the help.

The fault code was a four digit one, and on that diagnostics website it just says 'Fuel pump' !

I checked all the fuses that I could see, which relay is the fuel pump relay? and how can I check that its working ok?

Will have a look at the fuel pump & filter on friday

cheers
Gary Reece

27th Nov 03 at 09:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Let us know how you get on fella
andy t

29th Nov 03 at 13:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Forgot to mention, after trying to start for a while I took the plugs out, they were soaked in petrol.

So fuel is getting in there, is it still likely to be a fuel pump problem?

How do I get in to the dizzy? its one of those metal ones with cooling fins(!) Is it worth having a look inside? I'm used to the Bosch type plastic dizzy caps!

cheers
andy t

29th Nov 03 at 13:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Forgot to mention, after trying to start for a while I took the plugs out, they were soaked in petrol.

So fuel is getting in there, is it still likely to be a fuel pump problem?

How do I get in to the dizzy? its one of those metal ones with cooling fins(!) Is it worth having a look inside? I'm used to the Bosch type plastic dizzy caps!

cheers
Cybermonkey

29th Nov 03 at 14:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Definately fuel pump/injector problem then. Overfuelling by the sounds of it.
andy t

29th Nov 03 at 14:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Bugger. Any clues? Could it be dodgy temp sensor telling ecu that its colder than it is, and therefore putting far too much fuel in?

thanks

New Poll