corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » very loud ticking noise on start up

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author very loud ticking noise on start up
PaulW

User status: Offline
22nd Nov 03 at 16:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah oil change should sort it, or at least help! its just the lifters, nothin to worry about

[Edited on 22-11-2003 by PaulW]
fax2004

22nd Nov 03 at 17:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

its your hydraulic lifters or your camshaft. check your exhaust manifold tho, cos mine was blowing and was making a ticking noise
PaulW

22nd Nov 03 at 18:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'll take a pic of mine, there in the car somewhere (gota find em cos nearly half the engine is boxed up & bagged up on the front & back seats :lol
PaulW

22nd Nov 03 at 19:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sorry about the quality!

These are the usual bits associated with the lifters.

If ya look to the part on the right in this next pic (the lifter itself) there is what looks like a little hole thing, this is pushed up when the oil pressure is high enough

close up side of the lifter.

and this is how it looks when assembled. The cam is situated above the small arch bit of the piece of metal going across the top, from the lifter to the vavle-cap-thingy (unsure of its name).

The lifter itself changes due to engine load, as the oil pressure is constantly changing under load aswell, unsure of the proper way it goes, but when the engine is started from cold, the small pin which pushes up is still down, so the tappets are loose so rattle, when enough oil pressure is reached (2-3 seconds after startup), then the lifter pushes the tappet up so tightening it or something, not 100% sure tho like i said, but the oil condition will affect the efficiency of the lifters & stuff, so try an oil change to see if it sorts it out!
Chris220

22nd Nov 03 at 23:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I believe a simpler explanation has been overlooked. I found this problem happening before and I eventually figured it was the injectors 'chattering'. Normally a good fuel additive should remedy this. If not, try removing the injectors individually and cleaning them. This cured my 'ticking' anomaly.

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll