corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Snap Day » My First slr - Canon 1100d

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author My First slr - Canon 1100d
nathy_87

User status: Offline
11th Aug 15 at 10:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hi folks, as the title suggests I've purchased my first SLR which I'm looking forward to start using. It won't be for anything big just car meets and pet photos, and just wondering if people had any pointers for me? Looking at getting a flash gun eventually for dusk/under tunnel photos. Is there any software similar to Photoshop that's easy to use or even tutorials for photoshop as I've never used it just to lightly edit photos if needed.
Balling
Premium Member

11th Aug 15 at 12:20   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Great beginner camera. Have had the 1000d for years. Sold it at one point and shortly bought another as I missed it too much.

Get an f/1.8 50mm lens!!! Only thing you'll ever need, beside the camera.

Find a second hand one if you can, they're often easy to come by.

Flashes can be fun, but their use is quite limited if you're doing "action" stuff.

Get to grips with the camera first, then start buying toys. There are literally thousands of ways to capture a picture, so try to stick to the basics to not get overwhelmed. Despite the impression enthusiasts might give, you definitely don't need heaps of equipment.

As for software, have a look at Adobe Lightroom. Fairly straight forward, yet quite advanced if you want it to.

If you already have and know Photoshop, I'd just stick with that.

Tutorials for what? Find out what you want to do and type it in the empty square in the middle of google.com. Lots of resources for beginners.

Balling
Premium Member

11th Aug 15 at 12:22   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Also, find a good (active) forum to post your pictures for some basic advice.

Ask for specific things you want to change/improve in your photography. Don't just post a pic of your dog an expect people to tell you how it differs from a professional studio shot with an actual interesting subject.

I'm not clued up on the best places to look, but you'll find little help in here these days, unfortunately.

nathy_87

11th Aug 15 at 12:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thanks Balling for your input I can't wait to start using it.

That will be my first purchase for the camera will have a look around the usual places like Ebay/Amazon and possibly shops that sell photography equipment.

As for the flash, it probably won't be used as much as I think it would but wouldn't mind as a back up if needed.

Adobe Lightroom (AL), that more sufficient than Photoshop (PS) or completely different product? Only wanting free/cheap software to edit one or two photos and not over the top editing either.

Not used PS ever, so what would you say? PS OR AL?

And i menat for photoshop. I'm aware how to use Google thanks

So like a photography forum rather than a car forum? I was just thinking as you've got yourself, will_ainsworth (although don't see a lot of him) and no doubt a few others who are into their photography so was wondering if they'd have an input too.

[Edited on 11-08-2015 by nathy_87]
Balling
Premium Member

11th Aug 15 at 15:42   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Neither PS nor Lightroom is free or cheap. Lightroom's the cheapest option though and the one intended specifically for photography, whereas PS has a broader reach.

Both are on a monthly subscription. https://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop-lightroom.html

As for cheap or free I don't know. Picasa used to be good for managing photos, but haven't used it in years.

If you're on Mac the latest Photos release seems to get decent reviews, but I never could get to grips with iPhoto and haven't given Photos a go yet.

You'll get very little feedback on here. Have a look at the first page of Snap Day. Hardly any threads with more than five replies for the last year.

Find a photography forum for beginners.

MikeF86

12th Aug 15 at 17:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Pistonheads photography sub forum is very good.
Cavey

13th Aug 15 at 07:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'll be honest, for 'editing' I just use the windows gallery, can do all I need on that, quite easily.
nathy_87

20th Aug 15 at 11:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Went out last weekend as my cousin wanted a few shots of his car all in I took 66 photos (not all of his car) here are just a few...

[Edited on 20-08-2015 by nathy_87]
RichR
Premium Member

20th Aug 15 at 13:31   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Top one the main road out of Alton towards Farley?
nathy_87

20th Aug 15 at 14:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by RichR
Top one the main road out of Alton towards Farley?

Correct Rich, and as you're coming down the hill you might see this too:

spencer88

21st Aug 15 at 12:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Buys first SLR.

Starts Facebook N J Parker Photography Page.

Pretend to be professional photographer.
Balling
Premium Member

21st Aug 15 at 14:20   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by spencer88
Buys first SLR.

Starts Facebook N J Parker Photography Page.
Surely not.

spencer88

21st Aug 15 at 16:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

https://www.facebook.com/NathJPhotography?fref=ts

Balling
Premium Member

22nd Aug 15 at 06:22   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

nathy_87

26th Aug 15 at 09:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's a new hobby/fad, whatever, I'm not saying I'm professional by any means am I Spencer?
spencer88

26th Aug 15 at 15:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by nathy_87
It's a new hobby/fad, whatever, I'm not saying I'm professional by any means am I Spencer?

I drive the Mrs to work, don't have a page depicting me as a taxi driver.
DC90

6th Sep 15 at 21:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Driving the Mrs to work is a bit of a weird hobby
Ben G

9th Sep 15 at 13:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm not a photographer, but you need to work on your aim.

In the first flower image, you've cut off a bit of it at the top. Images like that needed to be centred correctly. Same goes for the car image, you've cut the roof off.

Also photography page on Facebook

[Edited on 09-09-2015 by Ben G]
whitter45

9th Sep 15 at 14:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

just keep practicing and shooting - are you shooting raw and try and shoot as much in manual mode - you learn so much more and at a quicker rate
VrsTurbo
Premium Member

30th Sep 15 at 18:46   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Wow just seen the latest pictures on Facebook.
Kyle T
Premium Member

30th Sep 15 at 18:52   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Balling
Premium Member

30th Sep 15 at 18:55   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by whitter45
just keep practicing and shooting - are you shooting raw and try and shoot as much in manual mode - you learn so much more and at a quicker rate
Not sure I agree with this. RAW and manual mode offer nothing until you've gotten the hang of the basics like lighting and composition. On the contrary they're just more aspects to be confused about. Leave exposure to the camera until you've come to terms with it.

I'd say any beginner should shoot exclusively in AV and in the rare instance in TV. In fact, I hardly ever switch away from AV myself. Unless in a studio or other controlled environment, there's very little benefit from shooting manual.

whitter45

1st Oct 15 at 13:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Balling
quote:
Originally posted by whitter45
Not sure I agree with this. RAW and manual mode offer nothing until you've gotten the hang of the basics like lighting and composition. On the contrary they're just more aspects to be confused about. Leave exposure to the camera until you've come to terms with it.

I'd say any beginner should shoot exclusively in AV and in the rare instance in TV. In fact, I hardly ever switch away from AV myself. Unless in a studio or other controlled environment, there's very little benefit from shooting manual.

each to their own, but once you understand the relationships, I found shooting in manual gives far more control over the picture you want to take

I agree AP is probably the one to go for but shooting in manual does help
Ellis

1st Oct 15 at 13:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm starting to feel the need to upgrade my kit 18-55mm zoom lens. Pretty convinced I need a 50mm f1.8 in my life. Anyone fancy adding weight to the argument in my own head?
Balling
Premium Member

1st Oct 15 at 15:03   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Once you've taken your first few shots with that sweet, sweet shallow depth of field, you're never looking back.

Want to shoot landscapes or architecture? The 50mm is probably the wrong tool.

Want to shoot stunning portraits and crisp snapshots? The 50mm is the best tool you'll find.

I do find it sometimes gets a bit too close, especially in smaller areas, where taking a few steps back isn't an option.

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Snap Day » My First slr - Canon 1100d 24 database queries in 0.1924040 seconds