corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Computer help!

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Computer help!
TOMAS

User status: Offline
2nd Nov 03 at 13:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Forgive me im not a genius with computers.
Im running XP with Bt Broadband. Recently ive been bombarded with damn popups! For the first 8 months was fine, no spam or popups and now I get loads! I had Symantec website run a security check on my I.P address and it says I have a port locked open??! Ages ago I installed Moosofts 'Cleaner' programme which found about 20 trojans on my harddrive, the free trial has now run out and I want something else which can clean me up/ stop the popup!

When I look at Task Manager these are SOME of the dodgy looking processes going on, anyone who knows the lingo may know if these are bad?

wuauclt.exe
ATRACK.EXE
STARTEAK.EXE
NAVAPW32.EXE
svchost.exe
CPQEADM.exe

Any advice would be great, cheers
Ian
Site Administrator

2nd Nov 03 at 13:45   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I recommend this - http://www.safer-networking.org/
mr.hankey

2nd Nov 03 at 13:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

wuauclt.exe - Windows Update AutoUpdate Client
svchost.exe - Generic Host Process for Win32 Services

both of these are required by Windows to run and are located in the system32 folder. As for the others, I haven't the foggiest.
TOMAS

2nd Nov 03 at 14:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers - Ive just installed and ran S&D, cleaned out about 18 things!! See if it all still runs ok and see if I get more of the bleeders! Cheers Ian
Ian
Site Administrator

2nd Nov 03 at 14:16   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If the popups keep coming then you want to stop Messenger Service in Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Services. Trotty had a How To somewhere I think...?

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Computer help! 22 database queries in 0.0088761 seconds