corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » 1.2 8v to a 1.6 16v

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author 1.2 8v to a 1.6 16v
M2RTY

User status: Offline
27th Oct 03 at 20:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ok u all know im only good at bodywork lol, and shite when it comes to engines

help me make a pricelist

engine (c16xe or a x16xe)
engine mounts, driveshafts - 2nd hand or new? where from cheapest??
fuel pump
header tank
exhaust? does manifold fit or do i mod downpipe to fit?
do i need a transponder key on later engines? how do u wire in the bit which picks the signal up?

what do i do in terms of the loomb? never seen 1 b4 so what wires do i get with the engine and do these go to on the car

any sensors or anything i need?

i have coilovers and suspention allready

many thanks in advance, prices too etc

PS - what do i keep off my engine?

e.g ait filter etc
MattyB

27th Oct 03 at 20:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

do a search, i'm sure some one had asked this question at least once a week for the last month.

quick reply = straight fit, all u need is engine, box, loom, ecu, rad, zaust + header.

But wudnt recommend gettin em all separate coz u'd b runnin round foreva. Just find a scrappers breaking 1.6 16v astra/corsa and work from that, then u no u've got access to every thing.

Fuel pump remains same on all models.

Mounts need modding coz they are different between 8v + 16v engines.

Transponder - I thought only the later sport engines had these? See wot happens when u find a doner car.

Cant keep air box, totally different on 1.6 16v. Although if u have induction kit, that'll fit.

Zaust - u might be better gettin custom one made up, so u no its a perfect fit. I believe some of the front mounts were different on the 16v models, to the early 8v models.

Matt
M2RTY

27th Oct 03 at 20:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

already done a search, found out quite a bit but i need to ask specific questions

could i make/buy engine mounts?

if i buy an engine will the rad etc not come with it? i thought the rad off mine would be ok?

zaust will be custom made, but can i use manifold off the 1.6?
MattyB

27th Oct 03 at 21:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

All i know is that when i went to get a 1.4 16v put into my 1.2 8v......

*Just use the old mounts off the 16v engine. Dont need new mounts really, unless u want brand new rubbers holding the motor in.

*A scrappers etc wont necessarily supply rad with engine, they'll want £30 more. I've been told on good authority that the 1.2 8v rad wont fit correctly on the 16v engines.

Yes - use manifold from 1.6. infact, u cud use the whole system from 1.6 i think, but u'll need to alter brackets slightly to suit 1.2 hanging brackets.

Matt
Cybermonkey

27th Oct 03 at 23:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Radiator is a larger size in the 1.4/1.6 16v models. Will end up overheating with a C12NZ radiator.
MattyB

28th Oct 03 at 10:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

thats the one. i reckon thru the winter, u'd prob get away with the 1.2 Rad, but its definately a good choice to upgrade as soon as u can.
Cybermonkey

28th Oct 03 at 10:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Im not sure if it matters but the fuel pumps after 1997 changed. I think they were both still internal type pumps though. Also, the washer bottle on the C12NZ is at the back of the engine, but on the Sport models its located on the passenger side wing. Will you be fittinf ABS? if so, then a new washer bottle from an ABS fitted Corsa is needed, as the moulding is a different shape.
MattyB

28th Oct 03 at 11:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

In that case, it'd probably make more sense to go for a C16XE , with no ABS, PAS or anything fancy, just to make the conversion that bit simpler.

Matt
Cybermonkey

28th Oct 03 at 11:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

C16XE fitted GSis came with power steering and ABS as standard. Sport 1.6's came with ABS as optional extra and PAS as standard. ABS will be a pain in the ass to install, so look for a low mileage X16XE.
MattyB

28th Oct 03 at 11:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Oh really? Never knew that! Thought that some early GSi's were non PAS, but maybe not!

So PAS will be must then? or could it be bypassed?

Yeah, ur right then, X16 wud b the better choice.

Matt
Cybermonkey

28th Oct 03 at 11:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

AFAIK all GSi's were PAS, makes it easier for little old ladies to turn those chunky wheels when parking in Tescos. You would be hard pushed finding a good condition C16 these days, better going for the X16 with low mileage.
M2RTY

28th Oct 03 at 12:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

so i need

a low mileage X16XE with no PAS but ABS

(will ABS be hard to fit?)

gearbox, enginemounts off the 1.6 16v (will these be welded/bolted on?)

rad off a 1.6 (do at later date)
Cybermonkey

28th Oct 03 at 12:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

no marv, you need a low mileage X16XE with PAS not ABS. PAS came as standard on all X16XE fitted corsas, and you might as well fit the PAS pump and rack while you are putting tyhe engine in. ABS is a frickin nightmare job to install. Gearbox mounts will probably be the same, but engine mounts may be in a different place as the original engine was 8v.
Adam-D

28th Oct 03 at 12:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

abs i heard is a twat to fit
Cybermonkey

28th Oct 03 at 12:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yesh, vauxhall wanted £2k to fit it to my sport. You are better off leaving well out. The ABS controller is a bronze box on the left side of the engine bay with about 20 green pipe coming off it. It looks fucking complex.
MattyB

28th Oct 03 at 13:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I reckon Marv cud prob get away without PAS as well, just by leaving the pump etc out, like the 2.0 boys do.

Gettin the rack etc all set up wud just add ££ to the project, when non PAS is a lot nicer to drive anyway IMO

Matt
M2RTY

28th Oct 03 at 15:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

so a x16xe with pas but no abs is the way to go

id defo NOT add the pas as i dont like it

engine mounts are different

rad should be ok ive been told?

ive been offered a W reg one, everything minus the rad, what should i pay?

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » 1.2 8v to a 1.6 16v 23 database queries in 0.0112391 seconds