corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » change of plan regarding engine......

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author change of plan regarding engine......
Cybermonkey

User status: Offline
27th Oct 03 at 12:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

C16XE is early GSi engine with 109BHP
X16XE is late GSi and Sport engine with 106BHP
X16XEL is engine from Astra mk4 with 100BHP

This is my X16XE

C16XE has Vauxhall written on top instead of ECOTEC

Dave

Andy

27th Oct 03 at 13:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

People talk about the C16XE as being much more tuneable than the X16XE, but in reality the differences are small and if you have the head of an X16XE properly flowed and ported, the differences are minimal compared to a ported and flowed C16XE head (although it does has slightly larger valve sizes I believe.) The bottom line is that my X16XE puts out 215bhp, and this is as much as ANY C16XE I have come cross in a similar state of tune! Remember too that most C16XEs are getting long in the tooth - for the small differences, you may be better off with a younger and less abused X16XE.
Cybermonkey

27th Oct 03 at 13:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Andy thats the point exactly, yes the C16XE is a superior engine in some ways, but this does not mean the X16XE is a poor engine. The opposite in fact, and age is on its side, its not unreasonable to find a X16XE with 10k miles on it. Try finding a C16XE with this mileage.
M2RTY

27th Oct 03 at 13:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

hehe ill be more than happy with an X16XE

so the vaux/ecoteck writing on it is the main noticable difference when looking?
Daimo B

27th Oct 03 at 13:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think u'll find it easier to just drop in a 2.0 still. Snapping driveshafts etc, how the hell have they bloody been fitting em??? TBH, with PVD's Mtec kit, i've not known anby 2.0 to break driveshafts. In fact, last i heard was Petes car when he done his conversion. Thats at least 2 years ago!!
Fad

27th Oct 03 at 13:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

[Edited on 27-10-2003 by fadscorsa]
Fad

27th Oct 03 at 13:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by fadscorsa
i got to piss on your bonfire here i've driven tuned 1.4 16v, tuned 1.6 16v's and i have a 2 litre myself, tunning wise people say the 1.6 16v is very tunable...it is but at a cost compared to 155bhp out of the tin with the 2ltr, Trust me my tuned 1.4 16v cost me buckets and kept blowing up works out the money i spent i could of done a 2litre coversion 2 half times over Plus the 1.6 16v unless tuned the the extent of miles and Andy H's wont amaze u due to the lack of torque. I might be biased but so are half the people on this thread
Fad

27th Oct 03 at 13:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

feck keep makin that damn mistake :Lol:
Daimo B

27th Oct 03 at 13:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Gotta say i agree with Fad on this on.

I love the 1.6 16v engines, especially the C16 lump, but £ for bhp and torque, you cannot beat the redtop.

And if fitted correctly, it shouldn't go wrong or break anything.
M2RTY

27th Oct 03 at 14:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

but daimo the 1.6 16v is all i require, i do not intend to gain sillt figures as i want to build a light track car too

the 1.6 will finish it off nicely, be quite nippy, and still mean i can sell the car and get insured on it and it will not cost me mega money

500 quid fitting kit and 500 quid for a 2.0 = 1k at least for me

i can get a x16xe for 200 quid and a few hundred for headertank etc

plus i need reliablity, and id rather have a 5 year old engine then a 12 year old one
Daimo B

27th Oct 03 at 14:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Headertank will cost about £5 from a scrappy fella

This is true, but then the redtop is a fantastically strong engine
Kris TD

27th Oct 03 at 14:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

even better go find a mk4 astra estate 1.6 16v or something thats been rear ended, and just change the inlet
Sam
Premium Member

27th Oct 03 at 14:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

X16XEL is from the mk3 Astra, Dave, not the mk4. It's called something different on the mk4, if I remember, I will check on EPC tonight and post up the engine code. I think it's something like Y16XEL or Z16XEL, something like that...
M2RTY

27th Oct 03 at 15:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

daimo the "etc" part ment mounts, shafts etc etc etc too

what do u mean kris? change the manifold?

FlamingCorsa

27th Oct 03 at 23:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if u put a red top in ur gonna have 2 upgrade the brakes2 if u wanna stop! stick with the 1.6 cos then u wont need 2 spend much on the brackes 2 make the car stop fast still! stoping is just as importand as going fast if u ast me! iaz
Cybermonkey

28th Oct 03 at 00:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

well said flaming corsa, just getting some Astra GTE 256x24mm discs would be great. Sam, it seems there are at least 3 1.6 16v engine types in the Astra mk3/4. there is the X16XEL from Astra mk3, Z16XEL from Astra mk4 and Z16XEV from mk4 too. Maybe there were differences between the standard 1.6 16v Astras and SXi models?
Kris TD

28th Oct 03 at 00:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by M2RV H

there is a guy in my town that has a x16xel astra engine in his nova, basically the only difference between that and the corsa sport engine is the inlet manifold. so if u change that for a velo item etc.. then it will release the same power as the corsa item. the engine is most likely to be in better knick than out of a sport model corsa. oh he has sbd 164 throttle bodies on it, omg that thing is so quick.
Cybermonkey

28th Oct 03 at 00:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

Yes the inlet manifold from the X16XEL was among the only changes to this engine from the Corsa X16XE engine. It is a more complicated inlet manifold and plenum to reduce power to 100bhp, and give it better efficiency apparently. The L stands for Low output.
Cybermonkey

28th Oct 03 at 00:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Kris TD
quote:

there is a guy in my town that has a x16xel astra engine in his nova, basically the only difference between that and the corsa sport engine is the inlet manifold. so if u change that for a velo item etc.. then it will release the same power as the corsa item. the engine is most likely to be in better knick than out of a sport model corsa. oh he has sbd 164 throttle bodies on it, omg that thing is so quick.

So the SBD Jenvey TB's fit both the X16XE/XEL engines?
Jason

28th Oct 03 at 01:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Kris TD
even better go find a mk4 astra estate 1.6 16v or something thats been rear ended, and just change the inlet
iv one ere for sale and let me tell ya that thing can shift for a estate!!
M2RTY

28th Oct 03 at 08:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i have wilwood 2.0 16v disks callipers and pads already and a rear disk beam going on
Andy

28th Oct 03 at 08:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Marv- unless it's for looks, don't bother with rear discs. They'll not increase your braking power one jot. Spend the money on the best you can up front. TBH, when you fit uprated front brakes, you can obviously brake much harder. This throws MORE weight over the front, which in turn means the rears do even less than on a standard brake set up.
vibrio
Banned

28th Oct 03 at 09:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yes or get a fat bastard to sit it in the rear all the time
Daimo B

28th Oct 03 at 09:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Andy
Marv- unless it's for looks, don't bother with rear discs. They'll not increase your braking power one jot. Spend the money on the best you can up front. TBH, when you fit uprated front brakes, you can obviously brake much harder. This throws MORE weight over the front, which in turn means the rears do even less than on a standard brake set up.

Disagree fella. My rear discs helped my brakes respond MUCH better. Pedal feel is better, brakes response is better and rear end is much more balanced.
Cybermonkey

28th Oct 03 at 09:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

TBH Daimo, even though they look pants, i would prefer drums on the rears on my Corsa, i would not want that big ass kicking out all the time in the wet everytime the discs lock up, Yes its all well and good adjusting the brake bias valve, but thats designed for less powerful drums.

[Edited on 28-10-2003 by Cybermonkey24]

<<  1    2    3  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » change of plan regarding engine...... 22 database queries in 0.0998230 seconds