corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » 2.0 8v / or 16v

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author 2.0 8v / or 16v
mad_mike

User status: Offline
16th Sep 03 at 11:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

im looking to put a 2.0 in me corsa, i was wondering witch are the best to start of with. Ive been told 8v are better of the lights with being a lighter engine, but not as good on top end or mid range.

but they are cheap as chips to buy, so what do you lot recomend...

cheers
Daimo B

16th Sep 03 at 16:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Bascially, the cheaper option is the 8v (not that anyone can complain at £1500 for a 150+bhp conversion).

8v, if anything goes wrong, u can go down the scrappy, take the bits off, cost u bugger all to do, and they still can produce around 200bhp with twin carbs etc (and other mods).

However, the best 8v model comes with 130bhp, where-as the 16v has 150bhp+ as standard. Also, the 16v likes to rev like most of vauxhalls early 16v engines. Hit 3500rpm and it takes off. More power can be obtained, but, it is the 16v, and if it goes wrong (but there very strong engines) then its costly.

All in all, if u've got no cash, go for the 8v. But, it doesn't look as nice either.

You could speak to loudgirl who insists on 140mph from her 8v on 18"s but back down on earth, the 16v will always beat the 8v as standard.
stuyw

16th Sep 03 at 16:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

2.0 8v - 115bhp
2.0 8v - 130bhp - out of cav 130

my m8 had a 2.0 8v 130bhp running with schrick cams n that was quick
SRI 16V

17th Sep 03 at 13:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

2.0 8v ENGINES ARE HARD AS NAILS MY MATE CAV SRI DID OVER 200K MILES AND WAS STILLGOING STRONG UNTIL HE HIT A TREE!!
K100RSA

17th Sep 03 at 14:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the 2L 8v engine is great, in my opinion the best thing to do is go for the 8v, then if not happy with it later on change for the 16V

you can buy a complete car and drive it home for £100, remove engine box and electrics etc, this way you also get to check the engine and box work ok, you also get the ATE calipers fro your front brakes, the fitting kit is almost identical, only the sfi box replacement thing that differs, the mounts and shafts are the same, also the insurance companies are a lot freindlier with the 8V, they wanted £400 more to go for the 16v, but only £74 more when I fitted the 8v, end of the day you will have 130bhp in a corsa, still alot of power whatever way you look at it, also tuning parts for the 8v are cheaper, only half as many cams and valves for starters, and quite easy to get 150 ish bhp for not too much money, the engines run forever and have good torque figures as standard.

Tony
Daimo B

17th Sep 03 at 14:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hence my quote about the cheaper conversion and the cheapness of parts
miles

17th Sep 03 at 14:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

A 2.0 8v will only be very marginally lighter than the 16v as the only real difference is the head, which doesn't weigh much anyway.

I'd like to see 200bhp from a 8v without major, major work.
Daimo B

17th Sep 03 at 14:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I was under the impression that they could be?

Oh, well, if not, i take it we are talking less power? What kind of performance do the 8v engines give with carbs etc?
miles

17th Sep 03 at 14:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Dont know mate, but the 16v is a much much better and more tunable engine, and getting 200bhp from them isn't cheap.
Mase
Premium Member

17th Sep 03 at 14:55   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

but persumably u would be able to use put a 8v in and then change the head for a 16v one in the future or are the bottom ends different ?? don't really know that much bout engines !!

Mase
miles

17th Sep 03 at 15:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Dont think that is possible.
Daimo B

17th Sep 03 at 15:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by miles
Dont know mate, but the 16v is a much much better and more tunable engine, and getting 200bhp from them isn't cheap.

Anyone care to supply £xxxx for the D4 Throttle bodies fund?
K100RSA

17th Sep 03 at 16:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ok but think that there is too much emphasis on getting 200 bhp, it is possible, a 2l 8v with a turbo will put out the same power as an LET, albeit not quite as reliable but tis something different, can get to 150 bhp with sensible tuning and carbs, but my way of looking at this is that for £650 you can have your car up to 2.0 8v 130bhp with bigger brakes on the front, then spend some money on it later on if you wish, or maybe spend the saved money on some suspension, its funny how many people spend a fortune making the car faster before getting the car set up to handle the power and weight of the bigger engine, mine was originally an 8v then went to 16v with carbs for a couple of weeks, but even with the 8v it was a quick car, aminly due to the 15" wheels with ET49, and the coiilovers that were fitted.
K100RSA

17th Sep 03 at 16:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

oh and the other thing to consider is the gearbox, this is the one small mistake I made when fitting the first 2L engine I went for the F16 WR, this was great as its easy to hit 60 in second, and so make the dashes a bit quicker with no gearchange to third that I think is required with most boxes, but the box is very long and 4th gear is the same as 5th gear in a normal F20, 70mph is 3000rpm in 5th, but F16 WR 70mph is 3000rpm in 4th, this was ok for my driving as do a lot of M way driving and 3k in 5th was nearly 95 so sat nicely and was a bit quieter to drive for long distances.
miles

17th Sep 03 at 16:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you want bang per buck than the 8v is great. But you can pick up 16v astra gte's for £3/400 if you look hard enough.....
Virtue

17th Sep 03 at 16:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

2.0 16v Turbo... C20LET, 208bhp

Safe!

[Edited on 17-09-2003 by Virtue]
K100RSA

17th Sep 03 at 16:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

and a 2l 8v with turbo etc will do that, SAFE!!!!
wainey

17th Sep 03 at 17:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Virtue
2.0 16v Turbo... C20LET, 208bhp

Safe!

[Edited on 17-09-2003 by Virtue]
204bhp
Kris TD

17th Sep 03 at 17:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by miles
Dont think that is possible.

i thought the 8v and 16v astra gte's shared a very similar bottom end.
miles

17th Sep 03 at 19:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Dont know. If it was posible Im sure it would have been done on mig, and I've never heard of it!
K100RSA

17th Sep 03 at 20:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the block is the same as far as I am aware, I know of someone that used the bottom end of a 16V to build an 8V, something to do with better crank or stronger something or other, will try and find out more about it later
K100RSA

17th Sep 03 at 20:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

just checked and the bottom ends are swappable, its the con rods that are uprated in the 16V

for engine 8V tuning info check out this link, its tom sticklands page and he is a genius with these engines, brain like a computer and dfoes all the CR calculations etc to work out performance gains, not just on the rollers but on the road
http://www.tomstickland.co.uk/astra/mods2/engine/engine.htm

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » 2.0 8v / or 16v 24 database queries in 0.0147650 seconds