corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Just fitted an induction kit? Reset your ECU now!

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Just fitted an induction kit? Reset your ECU now!
MattM

User status: Offline
6th Aug 03 at 09:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

After reading about reseting the ECU on the electrics part of FAQ's, I did it for the first time yesterday, after fitting an induction kit months ago. Boy the power feels more responsive! If you've just fitted an exhuast or induction kit go and reset the ECU now!!

Nice one Corsasport!!!
MikeH

6th Aug 03 at 09:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thats very interesting!

There is an ongoing discussion that the ECU adjusts over time anyway.....

Are you saying you still needed to reset it even after a month or more?
Daimo B

6th Aug 03 at 10:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

it doesn't adjust it!
IntaCepta

6th Aug 03 at 12:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

makes **** all difference, if u ask me!
luca2020

6th Aug 03 at 13:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yer sod all difference i found
Patrick

6th Aug 03 at 13:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I believe reseting the ECU allows it learn again (due to the induction kit) how much air/fuel to mix into the engine etc..
Neshol

6th Aug 03 at 13:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

After you've re-connected the battery, when you start the engine it is 'supposedly' meant to cough n splutter while the ECU recalibrates itself, but mine has never ever done that, just idles as normal almost immediately. And that's after having the battery d/c overnight.
Daimo B

6th Aug 03 at 14:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The standard ecu is setup for the standard engine. It wont reset or adjust in any way to suit an induction kit

The engine is still only going to suck in a certain amount of air.

And after 3 years of connecting, disconnecting, its never once made a difference to my car
Daimo B

6th Aug 03 at 14:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Oh, i lie, i have to keep resetting the electric windows, date/time display, thats it

[Edited on 06-08-2003 by Daimo B]
Makarus

6th Aug 03 at 16:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well I found that it improved performance. the ECU as standard is setup for the standard car, it should over time adjust to become calibrated to the current setup of the car, disconnecting the battery means the ECU has to reset and when it recalibrates itself it should be calibrated to a new part in the engine.

I am not saying it makes it run amazingly but it should solve any potential problems.

Oh and when I reconnected it my car did splutter for about 2 seconds then idle'd without any problem, sorted it nicely for me.

I cannot prove any of this, its just my theory which seems quite logical and has a sound basis, argue if you wish but the information I know was put into the FAQ to try and help.

It does no harm at all to reset the ECU and has a high posibility of sorting problems so it may aswell be done.
iNTA Corsa Bill

6th Aug 03 at 17:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

why reset the ecu it will achieve nothing ?? i work at F1 in bolton, ecu and fuel injection is what we do and my corsa runs on gas, an air filter will not change the fuel trim!(which is what you will reset) its all in your head if you think it did anything?
Makarus

6th Aug 03 at 17:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

An induction kit is known to increase air flow due to pulling colder air denser air in, the ECU controls the fuel air mixture, so resetting the ECU should in theory recalibrate it to an increase air flow so then should get rid of problems such as flat spots and give you a little bit more pull.

Like I said it wont do amazing things but its a good idea to do it from my point of view.
iNTA Corsa Bill

6th Aug 03 at 17:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

corsas only have 0-1volt lambdas so the car doent know HOW rich only that it is rich it is on w.o.t not like the not current switching ones so it can't afectivley "calabrate its self)
IntaCepta

6th Aug 03 at 18:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by iNTA Corsa Bill
its all in your head if you think it did anything?

basically sums up the whole thread.
Jcorsasri

8th Aug 03 at 17:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

when i reset mine it didnt splutter or anything. how can it adjust to new induction kit etc when hardly any air is being sucked in when idling?
luca2020

8th Aug 03 at 18:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ok well look at it this way, if re-setting the ecu recalibrates air/fuel mixture when u put mods on ur engine, then why do people buy unichips to re-map their engine?
AdiSRI

8th Aug 03 at 18:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It didnt do anything to mine, no spluttering it just idled perfectly instantly and made no difference and this was overnight aswell.
Dan_Corsa

8th Aug 03 at 18:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by luca2020
ok well look at it this way, if re-setting the ecu recalibrates air/fuel mixture when u put mods on ur engine, then why do people buy unichips to re-map their engine?

exactly what i was thinking
Blazer

8th Aug 03 at 23:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

reseting the ecu does nothing i'v done ot loads of times to my car after i fitted my KnN and zorst its does nothing and the car doest even splutter..
Cybermonkey

9th Aug 03 at 08:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Daimo B
The standard ecu is setup for the standard engine. It wont reset or adjust in any way to suit an induction kit

The engine is still only going to suck in a certain amount of air.

And after 3 years of connecting, disconnecting, its never once made a difference to my car

Daimo, thats utter bollocks mate. As engine life increases, a natural increase of dangerous exhaust gases happens. To combat this with the help of the lambda sensors, the ECU recalibrates fueling and airflow. Add an induction kit (although drilling your airbox is much better and a whole lot cheaper) and there will be a considerably larger amount of colder denser air entering the inlet plenum. Now to stop the wrong mixture of fuel/air, the ECU must now increase fuelling. The standard ECU is controlled by fixed variables with a maximum fuel and air mixture right down to a minimum. Whether resetting the ECU after adding various small parts to your engine has yet to be proved. An aftermarket chip is great for adjusting fuel and air mixtures by much greater variables, and also removing rev limits, upping turbo boost etc etc.

Dave
Kris TD

10th Aug 03 at 00:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Patrick
I believe reseting the ECU allows it learn again (due to the induction kit) how much air/fuel to mix into the engine etc..

so why buy unichips etc.. if the standard one does it itself, i agree with daimo here.
its all psychological

New Poll