corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » wot i need to do.........

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author wot i need to do.........
Drew
Banned

User status: Offline
25th Jul 03 at 22:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Maintenance - Replacing The Rear Differential Cushion

The following are instructions on how to replace the rear differential support cushion often responsible for "rear end clunk".
PLEASE NOTE. I AM NOT A LICENSED MECHANIC. THESE INSTRUCTIONS ARE FOR REFERENCE ONLY AND I DO NOT TAKE RESPONSIBILITY FOR ANY DAMAGE DONE TO PROPERTY OR BODY AS A RESULT OF THEIR USE.

I used a 1991 Toyota Celica shop manual as a reference and the torque values given are from this manual. The instructions are in order of disassembly with bolt torques given for re-assembly. All the listed steps are necessary. I wouldn't list them if it wold have worked otherwise.

Visually inspect the dampener, located on the rear end of the differential with two 19mm bolts in it just in front of the fuel tank. If you feel you need a new one due to "rear end clunk" or poor visual appearance go buy a new one (part number 52291-20010 for a ST-185; roughly US$100) or have arranged a place to have the cushion re-vulcanized.
If you have access to a hoist which lifts the car by its wheels, this would be best. I used 2 jack stands and a floor jack. Raise the car high enough so you can comfortably work under it. Place a platform under each rear tire such that the tires touch the platform approximately 100mm before the car is supported by the jack stand. ALWAYS USE A LOCKED JACK STAND, NEVER A LIFTING JACK WHEN WORKING ON YOUR VEHICLE. The platforms allow the half shafts to be in a more neutral position when you later lower the differential. Otherwise they would contact the suspension.
Under the car. Remove the four bolts (17mm 54lbf-ft) holding the rear cross member.
Disconnect the drive shaft from the differential. Four bolts (14mm 53 lbf-ft). Secure the drive shaft to the bottom of the car to avoid straining the CV joint at the other end.
Remove the two 19mm bolts (108 lbf-ft) and four 14mm bolts (??? lbf-ft) from the rear diff cushion.
Loosen the four bolts holding the differential to the sub-frame. The bolts are 17mm while the nuts above the diff are 19mm. I don't understand either. (74 lbf-ft)
Support the differential with a floor jack with a piece of wood in-between.
Remove the four vertical differential bolts loosened earlier.
Slide the differential as far forward as possible and then lower approximately 50mm.
The diff cushion should slide out to the RHS of the car.
It's a real good idea to clean all the bolts and nuts / tapped holes prior to re-assembly. Not only does it allow quick threading in these awkward positions, but it ensures proper torque measurements. Consider replacing bolts which appear to be severely corroded. Be sure to buy the proper grade bolt if it's not the Toyota bolt. Usually grade 10.9 or higher. Another hint is to start all your bolts/nuts before tightening them. This nearly assures proper component allignment.

just so ya know
Kayleigh

User status: Offline
25th Jul 03 at 22:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

5 minute job

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » wot i need to do......... 22 database queries in 0.0046182 seconds