corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Cold air feeds for my newly adjusted airbox...HELP

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Cold air feeds for my newly adjusted airbox...HELP
Cybermonkey

User status: Offline
15th Jul 03 at 08:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have replaced the cracked airbox lid for another one and decided to get a K&N panel filter and drill the airbox. I did this on my old 1.2 and found good gains in responsiveness. I know how to do the procedure of drilling, but i would like some cold air feeds this time. I am going to a hardware store to buy some flexi piping, but where do i feed it from, and where have people placed cable ties to hold it on? Thanks in advance

Dave
Gambit

15th Jul 03 at 08:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

personally i'd just cut the front of the box out, as there is a vacuum effect that occurs behind the light

if you want then get a big diameter piece of pipe (u'll see what i mean in B&Q) and attack it to the front of the airbox & behind the light
Cybermonkey

15th Jul 03 at 08:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Should i just hover it right behine the light housing where all the power cables for the bulbs lead to?
chris_uk
Premium Member

15th Jul 03 at 09:10   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i fed a 4" washing machine pipe from the airbox to the underneath of the car! worked a treat!
Cybermonkey

15th Jul 03 at 09:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

right ok then. I cant believe the difference the new filter has made. Car revs all the way to the redline without hassle and feels like its happy doing it. No funny screeching noises once 6k RPM is reached. all I need is a good drilling to get a nice noise. I could do this now but i want cold air feeds, especially if its gonna be 32 degrees today. Im going to go to a hardware store and buy something meant for a washing machine, since this is all that is needed and run cold air from behind the headlight housing to the bottom or side of the airbox where im gonna drill.

Dave
Sam
Premium Member

15th Jul 03 at 09:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I know it's not the same engine but here's a pic of what I did for one of my experiments in cold air feeds, abeit to a K&N cone filter:

Cybermonkey

15th Jul 03 at 09:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Where abouts is that running from Sam? Behind the rad?

Dave
miles

15th Jul 03 at 09:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Personally I wouldn't drill it, I would attach a tube to the standard intake and run that to the front of the car.

No matter how many cold air feeds you have they are never going to push enough air there for the engine to suck
Cybermonkey

15th Jul 03 at 09:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yes miles, but its all about supplying the engine with enough COLD air. Cold air is denser and always forces warm air out.
Sam
Premium Member

15th Jul 03 at 09:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Cybermonkey24
Where abouts is that running from Sam? Behind the rad?

Dave

Yes. You can either squueze the pipes through the little slit where the plastic pipe between the air box and the slam panel used to go, or you can cut that slit away if you don't plan on using an airbox any more so that you have more space for the pipes.
Cybermonkey

15th Jul 03 at 09:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I see sam. Cheers for the help everyone. I will experiment with various things i think.

Dave
miles

15th Jul 03 at 09:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yes but the engine will suck in much more than what is provided by an air feed.

If its sealed then it has no option but to suck cold air.
Cybermonkey

15th Jul 03 at 09:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I see miles. i have taken it into account. But how hard will it be to sort a tube thats an exact fitment for the square hole and run that to the front bumper?
and-m

15th Jul 03 at 09:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

There seems to be a space at the side of the rad for a decent sized ait intake, on the left hand side looking under the bonnet.

Cyber monkey, you could easily jigsaw a circular hole big enough for a large diameter pipe to fit in, bit of silicone to seal it and jobs done.

[Edited on 15-07-2003 by and-m]
miles

15th Jul 03 at 09:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I fibreglassed a bit of old tube to the square rim. Then attached a bit of ducting to the front of the car. I also chopped all of the useless stuff out of the airbox, and removed the funny side bulge bit. The used silicon, fibreglass and the side of an ice cream box to seal it again. It seemed to work ok! Took ages though.....
Cybermonkey

15th Jul 03 at 09:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I bet it did. took me ages to cut the pipe from the airbox lid out. The pipe inside the airbox though was easy since it just pulls out.

Dave
and-m

15th Jul 03 at 09:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I removed that pipe also, just slides out, seems a little louder. Best thing to do is what I mentioned above, cut the hole out larger say 4"
Cybermonkey

15th Jul 03 at 09:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yes. I noticed that where the standard air feed runs from, the size of the hole is tiny. I dont have any faith in induction kits since i believe larger power gains can be had from a drilled airbox and decent panel filter. for only £30 and a bit of my spare time.
and-m

15th Jul 03 at 09:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I totally agree, induction kit may sound better but a sealed box and cold air intake is better for performance.

New Poll