corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » 86’ E30 M325i

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author 86’ E30 M325i
FlaFFy_91
Premium Member

User status: Offline
22nd Dec 23 at 13:09   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It’s been a while! Thought I’d share my new project on here as well as the e30 forums because I miss this place and the horrible people that are part of it.

So here’s the beginning of what i think is going to be a LONG journey!

Bought this New Zealand imported M325i about a month ago now. 96k miles only a couple owners from new and as far as I can tell it’s a fairly clean example. Underneath was under sealed when it was fairy new and it’s had a respray not too long back (although it seems to of been painted by stevie wonder) tuns under the trims and seals with overspray on for example.

Been wanting an E30 since I was probably 12 and now at the tender age of 31 years old I’ve finally bought one.

This is going to be a bit of a restomod, want to build it as it would be built by bmw today if that makes sense.
Anyway. Couple photos to get us started, although I don’t actually have many!

FlaFFy_91
Premium Member

22nd Dec 23 at 13:10   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So first things first on my test drive I noticed the headlights weren’t working, well one of them was the rest weren’t.
On closer inspection I found most of the wires had either snapped off at the connector or were on their way to doing so.

An easy job I thought, new connectors and wires and job done.
Didn’t quite turn out that way as I ended up stripping a lot more than I thought I’d need to but anyways. Photos…..

Before

Bought the proper BMW connectors and wires
Here’s the part numbers if anyone needs them

And they’ve been superseded from the straight connectors to the 90° connectors

Stripped out the SLUG of electrical tape to be greeted by THE best attempt at joining wires together I’ve ever seen

Anyways, cut all the old birds nest of wiring out and using genuine BMW butt connectors and all weather heat shrink I worked my way through replacing the connectors.

All the connectors wires up

Then started tidying up and wrapping the wiring up and securing it better with…. You guessed it…. Genuine BMW loom tape :clap:

And all finished for now. Admit it’s not my best tape job but it will do for now…. I’ll sort the drivers side out another day.

[Edited on 22-12-2023 by FlaFFy_91]
FlaFFy_91
Premium Member

6th Feb 24 at 15:09   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So I finally got some spare time to have a little look over the car on the weekend and I’m fairly happy with it all in general.

All in all it’s in really good condition underneath. It’s been under sealed in the past with that thick black crap but it is all fairly solid underneath. I’ve not took any panels off yet to look behind them (so I could still be in for a surprise) but the underneath is pretty solid.
Up until 2 years ago I was a mot tester so know the deal with hidden rust.
Gave it all a good knock and found no real issues on the underside of the car.
Couple of bits of surface rust that will need sorting as you can see but nothing major. So I’m quite happy with that.

This is just where it’s been jacked up a few times and messed up the underseal. It’s absolutely solid but just looks bad

The very little bit of inner wheel arch rust, again just surface rust really

Onto a couple of bad bits.
First of all we look at the leaks. It’s a BMW… and old one so it’s going to have leaks.
The gearbox has a little leak and the engine has a leak too. Neither are too bad however it’s clear the engine leak is coming from the head gasket, not a big issue really but it does need replacing.
The head was removed and “refurbished” not that long before I bought it. I’ve always had my suspicions on the quality of the refurb and I’ll be honest this kind of confirms said suspicions. It’s always been a bit tappy too so won’t hurt it taking it off and giving it a proper refresh.

While I’m at it can anyone identify this sensor off the top of their heads?

Next up is the drivers side sill. It’s clear it’s had some repairs done on this sill. Badly too. Not too bad but absolutely not up to my standards so this will be getting cut off and replaced. The rear end of the sill is rusting out anyway so a full replacement sill is in order.

These two front panels under the lights seem to be the worse part of the rust so again replacements will be welded in there.

After that we move onto the engine bay. It’s got an aftermarket radiator fitted and it’s clearly either not the right one or something is up with it, as the bottom radiator hose is angled in such a way it’s catching on this pulley and wearing through. Good thing I spotted it to be honest as it’s nearly gone all the way through what seems to be a brand new hose.

Next up in the bay is this airbox. Clearly again not the right airbox for the car so I need to look at what exactly needs replacing. The box itself or the elbow setup. As it’s not sitting near the mounts and is catching on the alternator fan
If anyone could let me know whether this is an elbow or airbox issue that would be brilliant.

Rear brakes need replacing. Discs are fairly new but some deep corrosion and one of the pads looks like this
So new discs and pads needed too.

And for now that’s it. I’ve got other stuff on a big long list but I’m happy now I know it’s not a flinstones car, I can start actually spending some money on it now and getting it sorted.

Should be updating more frequently soon so keep your eyes peeled for what ever comes next.

[Edited on 06-02-2024 by FlaFFy_91]
FlaFFy_91
Premium Member

25th Apr 24 at 21:40   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No real updates as of now, currently paying out what feels like 20 bazillion pounds for a wedding in September so slow and steady.

Ordered some new brakes and a service kit which arrived (no photos as they’re in a box in the garage untouched at the mo)
However I took the car out today for a spin and it seems I’ve got a very bad oil leak. Had a quick nose under it and it’s coming from the oil pressure sender.
Weird one but it’s leaking through the sensor itself, oil is coming out from around the electrical connector on it….. bizzar but true.

This is an old photo but you can see the oil on the end of the spade connection. Thought this was oil from elsewhere but it’s flying out of it at a rate of knots now so will have to get one ordered.

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » 86’ E30 M325i 23 database queries in 0.0060689 seconds