corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » EGR valve goosed?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author EGR valve goosed?
Miner

User status: Offline
   15th May 03 at 13:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My car was running great 2day for the first time in ages after finally getting my exhaust sorted at the manifold/cat flange where it has repeatly blown for 2months. Now when driving into glasgow, it started chugging & cutting out, and was idling high yesterday. When i got to glasgow the engine management light came on & the car keeps wanting to stall or revs eratically & then wont restart. I reckon its the EGR valve as my girl's sister's corsa just packd up last week suffering from the same symptoms & I know this is a common fault. I kneed advice from anyone who has had this prob as I'm gonna have to do it myself as I don't have £220 to pay vauxhaull for it, I'm assuming it can be cleaned up? Sorry for the length of this post!
Mikorsa16v

15th May 03 at 14:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

that problem as it has been a management fault may not be solved by just cleaning, it hasnt done many miles has it?
you can take it to a local garage, which will in turn be cheaper labour+parts, they have diagnostic testing computers as well!
Miner

15th May 03 at 16:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's done 52000 & is due it's next service, it's a W-reg but I'm up & down to uni everyday. Just dont want to face up to spending anymore on the car as it has cost me a battery, a rear wheel bearing & 3hrs garage time to fix a long recurring exhaust prob & that's just the last 2 days! Not happy with my car, if I didn't owe out £4k on finance it would have bn binned 2months ago!
Miner

16th May 03 at 00:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Anyone else? I remember seeing loads of posts on this but it was b4 the board was re-stuctured & they've now gone
Wolf In Welsh Clothing

16th May 03 at 00:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Block the EGR valve of with a bit of gasket or metal!
Is only used to keep emissions down and costs bout £300 me thinks!
Miner

16th May 03 at 00:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hear this being done b4, does it cure the lumpy running?
Wolf In Welsh Clothing

16th May 03 at 00:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Should do!
Cause of my inlet manifold mine is behind the passenger headlight and have no running problems!
Even the lad at the vaux garage said to just block them off!
Cavey

16th May 03 at 00:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

don't spose anyone knows if a 106 has an EGR thingy ? cause my mates has a similar problem...
Miner

16th May 03 at 00:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's either that or John baked my lambda sensor with the burner trying to get my studs off!
Wolf In Welsh Clothing

16th May 03 at 00:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Disconnect the lamda and see how it runs without!
Shold go to default.
Miner

16th May 03 at 01:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ran it without lambda sensor for about a minute, still wouldn't start or run properly. That was one of the first things it tried besides letting it cool down, which involved sitting parked with the bonnet up like a fanny!
morty

16th May 03 at 10:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

nothing wrong with sitting with the bonnet up mate aslong as you have a nice engine... on another note ive had the same prob on my gsi and wouldn't mind knowing how to block the valve off I know where the egr is but its right at the back of the engine bay!

Q: My g/f dad is a welder/fabricator if I bought a egr valve gasket and asked him to make me a one but more like a blanking plate would this work???

Darren

[Edited on 16-05-2003 by morty]
Miner

16th May 03 at 13:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

There is when you drive a 12v & people point & laugh! "Look mummy, a sewing machine!" Dunno, wolf must be running TB's to get 147bhp from 1.6 so he wont have an inlet on his manifold for it & running custom ecu settings, probably bypassing it all together. Not sure if it would work on ur GSi, but there will prob be somone who's tried it! Sitting on the web @ Kerr & Smith where it's getting replaced, costing a cool £195! But valve was £118+vat & I had to pay 4 diagnostics if I didn't get it fitted here which was £40 quid plus vat so for the sake of £20 I might as well not bother getting my hands dirty! It's cost me a wheel bearing, a battery & getting my exhaust fixed this week & after the hassle lately it'll be good to have somone to shout at if it breaks again!
Wolf In Welsh Clothing

16th May 03 at 16:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nothing's been by passed in me ECU!
It notices that me EGR valve is sticking every now and again so ive got a switch on me engine warning light and just turn it off if it lights up when i back off the throttle. Look at the "before posting in this....." topic to see how to check ur diagnostics, mines got code 0400 stored for EGR valve!

New Poll