corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Corsa C subframe

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Corsa C subframe
IvIarkgraham
Premium Member

User status: Offline
1st Mar 17 at 11:47   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My mums car was in for its MOT and has failed on a corroded subframe (unrepairable) This was not even an advisory last year and only driven for less than 1500 miles.

Going to source a second hand subframe but I want to make sure I am getting the correct part.

2003 1.2 16v SXI Corsa C
any body know the correct part number?

what should I be checking on the subframe to make sure its ok to use? basics like rust, cracks holes I know. but what about the bushes etc...

Thanks
Ian
Site Administrator

1st Mar 17 at 12:52   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not sure there are bushes on there if you are re-using what is on the car. If they're not on the MOT advisory then they're either unchecked or OK.
davegreen
Premium Member

1st Mar 17 at 13:05   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

only 3 types i have come across on the corsa C and they would all fit the 1.2
Basic sub frame is for you car
then there is one with a front center gear box mount
then you get the Combo one which also has the front mount but also has more gussets to make it stronger and stiffer.

only thing you have to look out for is it being bent or rusty.
and when you fit it you will need to re align it and have tracking checked.
IvIarkgraham
Premium Member

1st Mar 17 at 13:42   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers guys,

I have a part number from VX now so when I go to the scrap yard i'll see if I can locate it.

I will not be fitting it the garage will be.
IvIarkgraham
Premium Member

1st Mar 17 at 16:05   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Original-Automega-Aggrgatetrager-Motortrager-fur-Opel-Corsa-C-Meriva-A-Combo-/162388007426?hash=item25cf145a02:g:~AgAAOSwNnRYmryK

part no 93174594
IvIarkgraham
Premium Member

1st Mar 17 at 21:24   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Jacked the car up. 3 small holes no bigger than a 5p

What's the rule on welding these?
Ian
Site Administrator

1st Mar 17 at 21:28   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Depends if that the end of it or its thinner all over the cavity.

You can weld whatever you can repair using a weld, question is will what is left burn through when you try and patch it
IvIarkgraham
Premium Member

1st Mar 17 at 21:54   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

it looks pretty solid. but i wont know until i can get proper access i suppose

cheers
sxibeast

1st Mar 17 at 22:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by davegreen
only 3 types i have come across on the corsa C and they would all fit the 1.2
Basic sub frame is for you car
then there is one with a front center gear box mount
then you get the Combo one which also has the front mount but also has more gussets to make it stronger and stiffer.

only thing you have to look out for is it being bent or rusty.
and when you fit it you will need to re align it and have tracking checked.

Just out of interest (and sorry to hijack the thread), how would you realign the sub-frame?

Are there particular points for it to line up with?
davegreen
Premium Member

2nd Mar 17 at 08:12   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

for re aligning i just measure and make sure its on center left to right and parallel to rear axle.
the 4 bolt holes are a lot larger than the bolts so plenty of room to move about.
if you are re fitting same sub frame you can draw marks on the body where sub frame was before removing it.

the sub frame in the image is the middle type with front mount, not used on the 1.2's but will still fit.
most breakers sell sub frames for around £50.
i cut one up for scrap in the summer when i fitted the last 2.2, standard ones without front mount are not worth as much secondhand.
sxibeast

2nd Mar 17 at 10:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers Dave! I'd put a sub frame back on my Astra a while ago, but did wonder if there was a certain way of doing it. I've seen some places using a jig for alignment, but what gets me is the jig is on wheels they roll away once the engine is out.
davegreen
Premium Member

2nd Mar 17 at 17:34   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i think the jigs vauxhall use have pegs which go into sub frame and others which go in to the under side of body which can be adjusted so on refit they end up in same place.
IvIarkgraham
Premium Member

3rd Mar 17 at 23:47   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

bought one today took it to work and glass beaded it. powder coat next week then get it fitted

cheers for the help
IvIarkgraham
Premium Member

17th Mar 17 at 20:11   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Car completed last week.

Was told it was uneconomical to repair but total bill was less than £350

Subframe was £50 then the powder coating cost me £30

Thanks again everyone

New Poll