corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » Civic Ej9 sleeper

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Civic Ej9 sleeper
Jake

User status: Offline
16th Feb 17 at 10:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

This will be the third EK/EJ I've had but the first one I will be spending any money or time on.

It's a standard 1.4se. My plan is to change the interior, rear disc conversion and an engine swap this year.

The main priority is a completely different interior, the previous owner must have smoked 20 a day in the car for 3 years and it needs to go, the steering wheel material also spins around on the metal frame! How that's happened I don't know.

After years of not working on cars I needed a new tool set so chipped to Halfords and got this

Interior stripped out. what I love about these older cars is simplicity. Seats came out a bit of piss, doesn't even have the seatbelt tensioners like corsa b's. Its all clips, bolts and a few screws here and there. Cat camping

Off to the tip

and how it was left for the day

Next day, the dash came out. I got a black vti dash the night before so spent some time stripping it back so knew where all the screws were to remove the old dash. Theres only 6 or 7 plugs to disconnect and they are all tied to the chassis so once the dash cover comes off it doesn't fall into a massive heap of shit so when it came to fitting the new dash it was basically plug and play along with probably 20 screws to hold it all in.

Also removed the roof lining. Originally I wanted to wet vac all the nicotine stains but its made of basically pressed and glued cardboard, so I laid it out in the kitchen and kept spraying apc over it and wiping down with a damp cloth. Looks so much better and doesn't smell

Dash, pillar trims, door cards and pillar trim back in

All was going well until it came to fitting the rear door cards, this black metal brace was fitted to the face lift models. At the time of buying the interior I was unaware the pre facelift and facelift vti had a different interior - unfortunately I got a pre facelift which doesn't allow for this brace. All I did was remove the brace and everything went together fine. In the future I might get a facelift interior and reinstate the brace.

Interior completed. The pattern is straight from a coach interior but its better than what was there previously

Found a set of vti clocks. Tacho goes up to 9k ready for the new engine. Also adjusted the mileage so its the same as the factory clocks . Also quite like the red needles and numbers

Bought a few bits for the rear end. Rear lower control arms, braided brake cables all round and rear camber arms

Also bought the rear disc conversion but currently stripping it down and cleaning up the calipers.

That its for now, works a bit slow this time of year so not spending any more on the car until it picks up again. Ive had loads of cars since my corsa gsi but never enjoyed working on them as much as the corsa, this car has definitely reignited that interest again.

thanks

[Edited on 16-02-2017 by Jake]
LukesCorsaSXi

17th Feb 17 at 05:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Looking forward to future updates mate. Love the EK9/EG3/6's etc!
Jake

17th Feb 17 at 11:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by LukesCorsaSXi
Looking forward to future updates mate. Love the EK9/EG3/6's etc!

cheers mate. I really wanted an EG but unless you're paying top money and I'm talking at least 3k for a standard one, the rust issues id have had to deal with would be too much. All I'm waiting for now is to go and buy a decent jack so I can fit the rear discs
Kev_GSI

18th Feb 17 at 11:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

This should be good I am really feeling a old honda again soon
Jake

18th Feb 17 at 13:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

There is a massive source of second hand parts for these cars, similar to how this forum used to be in the mid 00's for corsa b's!

Quick update. Last week was spent cleaning up the rear trailing arms with the disc conversion on already.

The old bushes. The car this came from must have had a very loose back end on corners

New ones fitted. Really shows how bad the old ones were and they weren't damaged at all from removal

Didn't take a before picture of the calipers but they were really crusty. A mixture of flakey old red paint and rust. Went over them with a few different wire wheel drill attachments. Fortunately the discs that came with them were pretty much brand new

Before I put everything back together I gave the trailing arms a wash down with acid and jetwashed it off. Let them dry and gave them a few coats of black hammerite stone chip. Then wire wheeled all the bolts and greased all threads. Also fitted the camber arms and brake hoses because I got bored

For some reason I'm finding it difficult to decide on what jack to buy! The cheaper ones don't have much lift but don't want to spend good money on one that weighs 40kg and gets in the way for the rest of the year. Until I buy one I can't do anything else to the car
willay
Organiser: South East, National Events
Premium Member

20th Feb 17 at 12:01   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Are you jake of MK/hench fame?
Jake

20th Feb 17 at 22:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by willay

You know that mate! Long time no speak
willay
Organiser: South East, National Events
Premium Member

21st Feb 17 at 09:14   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Jake
quote:

Robin
Premium Member

21st Feb 17 at 19:37   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What engine are you going for?
Jake

21st Feb 17 at 20:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Jake
quote:

Why is it so quiet here now mate?
Jake

21st Feb 17 at 20:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Robin
What engine are you going for?

B18C4 turbo. If there's not a complete set up going -engine and turbo, I will run it n/a until a decent turbo kit comes along. Don't want a mickey mouse 600 quid ebay one.
Jake

17th Mar 17 at 23:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Couple of updates. Rear brake conversion done, the arches are a state in the future they will need replacing
Before

After

One of the bolts snapped in the shock thread so had to buy a new shock. Found a full set local to me from a 40k car for 20 quid. Turned up and he had a meister r big brake conversion, it uses the standard 262mm caliper but a bigger carrier and 288mm discs. Bought that from him along with adjustable rear toe arms and front camber arms. Got it all for a bargain but the front arms need sand blasting. Got a set of skunk2 rear camber arms thrown in aswell so will keep for spare.

The calipers the big brakes come with were seized so will use the ones on my car already so stripped them down and stripped the paint from the carriers

Came up like new but will be painting all calipers silver anyway

Downside to 288mm brakes are they require a minimum of 15" wheels and the ones I have are 14", so looked up wheels within 5 miles of my postcode that would fit the car and found these for 30 quid. Not after looks they are purely functional, although they need a dust of paint on the faces and I will be spraying the rover badge. The tyres are the wrong size so will be getting a set of 195 50 toyo t1r's

[Edited on 17-03-2017 by Jake]
Jake

13th May 17 at 09:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Works been quiet so spending has been low on this. I bought a set of rear mg zs calipers and disks. They are 260mm and the standard vti brakes are 242mm so marginally bigger. One of the vti calipers kept binding and the mg calipers have been rebuilt so was a no brainer
Gave them a scuff up and painted the calipers silver, dusted the discs with black high temp paint

Old brakes

Had some welding done on that side aswell so they shutzd the whole arch at the same time on both sides

New brakes fitted

Didn't take any pictures but I upgraded the 15/16" master cylinder and servo to a 1" mc from a ek9 civic. Brakes are much better now, very little pedal travel aswell

Bought a shiny eBay rear subframe brace, these help prevent 'tear out' of the rear arb bolts- something I have yet to fit
Jake

29th Jan 19 at 21:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Done stuff. Removed the 1.4 to fit a b18c4 with teg type r gbox, remapped etc. Removed abs and fuse box, battery, rad reservoir and screen wash bottle relocated. Lots of wiring tucked and of course painted the bay hammerite blue

SetH

30th Jan 19 at 10:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Love this Project I remember taking a look back in 2017 when I was lurking.

The subtle break upgrade is pretty cool TBH!

I actually like the 90's coach seat patterns! I never liked them at the time but they do seem retro cool now in a world of plain black/grey and leathers in newer cars.

That drive train swap! tell us more! B18c4 is that the mk 1 integra type R lump? what power is it putting out? Are you still going Turbo? I would probably be happy with a nice N/A Vtech lump. In fact I can't remember the last time I drove a non-turbo car albeit mostly diesels. A novelty to wind an engine out to 9k these days

Good Work you Weapon
Jake

30th Jan 19 at 15:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers mate. I've done lots of work on it but couldn't access photobucket to upload pictures so didn't bother taking any! I'll get some retrospective ones to upload now I've got photobucket back.

The engine is from the civic vti-s but mine has a aftermarket inlet which is very similar in design to the b18c which is the teggy dc2 lump. It's only mapped to 182bhp and has a raised limiter to 8500 I think and also 2step which is basically just launch control. Not much power compared to new cars but it probably weighs two thirds less!

I've driven diesels for the last few years and getting back to petrol is a breath of fresh air - I only drove it for the first time two weeks ago!

I'll go turbo eventually but for now this is more than enough to have a laugh in.

I also did not fit those gash rover wheels
SetH

30th Jan 19 at 23:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

182bhp @8500 in a fairly light chassis, I imagine that is lively and great fun in an old school kind of way! I used to lust over Civic VTi's in my late teens, insurance was a no go back then. Accord Type R is another car I wanked over

I think I am getting old as I looked at the Rover wheels and was not offended by them. cover the rover badge and jobs a good un!

Look forward to seeing the photos
Jake

23rd Nov 19 at 10:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Update : it still works. Front shock was blown so bought two sach shocks from ECP - they only took a month to arrive... Also a good reason to keep spares as osf caliper was sticking and had two spares in my shed for a couple of years so that was an easy fix. The innovative engine mounts are not recommended for daily use, or a car with any interior or interior trim as they will find something that rattles
SetH

23rd Nov 19 at 11:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Vids needed of you going Vtech yoooo on the arses of the general population in their Kia's please
Jake

23rd Nov 19 at 12:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by SetH
Vids needed of you going Vtech yoooo on the arses of the general population in their Kia's please

Haha! an rs6 got easily baited by my exhaust even though I was driving normally but he easily dispatched of me aswell. 4x4 and turbos will do that
Jake

8th Mar 20 at 12:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Shells fucked. Bought another shell
Jake

14th Apr 20 at 16:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Engine is in, had a few wiring issues. It sounded like a V8 on idle and found a break in the signal wire from the map sensor to the ecu. Also wasted half a day trying to start it then realised I forgot to plug in the ignition immobiliser. The shell was an auto originally and wasted a load of time thinking it was something to do with the wiring loom that was plugged into the auto shifter. Want to upload pictures but lost my photo bucket password again
SetH

14th Apr 20 at 19:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

good to see you are still working on this. The engine you put in is the one from the VTi-S right?

Hope you are well mate.
Jake

15th Apr 20 at 09:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeh it's in constant need. I took it in for the mot and if failed on rear brake lines and couple of holes in the floors so got under it that afternoon. It was pissingndown with rain, took nearly an hour to unclip the lines and I was laying there and thought - I'm fucking done with this car. Absolutely EVERYTHING has been a battle, mainly due to rust and old electrics. When I stripped everything off, the inner arch had a big gaping hole in it that they didn't notice on the mot so I did the right thing scrapping the cunt. The shell I have now is a few years older but a coupe which were built in America and everything has been nice to work on. They must have built them better than they did the hatchbacks over here.
Jake

21st Jun 20 at 16:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I put my engine into my new shell a week before I got sent home from work for 7 weeks

It's always been a bit worst for wear as far as looks so took the time to strip it back and restore it

About 4 hours later with wire brushes and white spirit and it was looking much better

All painted up, did the same for the inlet manifold and used vht wrinkle red on the valve cover and intake pipe

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » Civic Ej9 sleeper 23 database queries in 0.1015110 seconds