corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » London commuting from oop North

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author London commuting from oop North
Kyle T
Premium Member

User status: Offline
11th Sep 16 at 08:59   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm a week or so into a contract that requires me either in the centre of London or over Kent way.

First week I drove down to Kent on Monday morning (3am start ) and drove back Friday night. Dartford crossing was a bit of a twat to be honest and got held up at Cambridge a little bit on the A1.

Then I tried the train into Kings Cross, tube to the London Office and then took an overground train out to the town in Kent for the Kent days. This was great because I could get up at 5am instead of 3am, and I could sleep on the train. I was home for 19:20 on Friday vs 210 when I drove.

I've arranged with the client to potentially do Mondays and Fridays in London each week, with tues/wed/thurs at the Kent office. This means I can train into Kings Cross and home again at the peak hours. Problem is, the train into Kings Cross is very expensive (about 5x cost of driving) so it seems a bit of a waste.

I'm thinking of a hybrid option of driving down to Stanmore(?) and leaving my car there all week and then paying ~£5 to take the tube all the way into London to my office. I can then take the overground trains out to Kent when needed.

Questions, is driving down to Stanmore on a Monday morning going to be a nightmare? I'd be coming down the M1 or A1, depending on closures etc. Are there any better stations that are more accessible to me by car? Looking at the tube map, Epping might not be a bad shout as that's on the actual line I want to be on - so no changes, can wriggle my way onto a seat and then settle in!

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
pow
Premium Member

11th Sep 16 at 10:06   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yes, the M1 is horrible.

There is no easy easy way of doing it really.

How's the journey from Milton Keynes?

BTW - whya re you worried about cost? That should be footed by your company and shouldn't be a concern of yours. Doing North Yorkshire to London, you should be using the most convenient method for you.

[Edited on 11-09-2016 by pow]
Kyle T
Premium Member

11th Sep 16 at 10:43   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by pow
Yes, the M1 is horrible.

There is no easy easy way of doing it really.

How's the journey from Milton Keynes?

BTW - whya re you worried about cost? That should be footed by your company and shouldn't be a concern of yours. Doing North Yorkshire to London, you should be using the most convenient method for you.

[Edited on 11-09-2016 by pow]

Cheers Pow, MK may be a good middle ground. Easiest drive of the lot, will check train schedules into London.

Yeah I do get to claim costs from the company... but it's my company so I've got an interest in keeping costs down

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
pow
Premium Member

11th Sep 16 at 12:45   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think MK has a high speed into London, and saves you breathing around the M25 which is just a nightmare
Kyle T
Premium Member

11th Sep 16 at 15:14   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah been looking into that, MK might be another option - cheers Pow.

My main concern is parking really with this plan, do all these stations have ample spaces for what I expect is a small army of Northerners parking up for the week?!

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
VrsTurbo
Premium Member

11th Sep 16 at 15:18   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Get to rugby or market harborough quick enough off the motorway. Then it's an hours train into central London.

Parking at both stations are ample. Iirc train to London is every hour or 30mins.

Mileage is gonna kill your expenses!

MK is a nightmare driving round it.

[Edited on 11-09-2016 by VrsTurbo]

Kyle T
Premium Member

11th Sep 16 at 15:26   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by VrsTurbo

Mileage is gonna kill your expenses!

Indeed. I've got other encouragement to rack up road miles too, if I spend £200 on a train then that's £200 of money down the shitter. If I do 400miles @ 0.45p a mile plus parking, almost cost neutral to the company except my car only costs £50 to cover that 400 miles

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
VrsTurbo
Premium Member

11th Sep 16 at 15:28   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I don't think of it that way. I think of it as less tax I have to pay at the end of the year and you'll soon hit 10k then you can only get 25p a mile.
Tiger

11th Sep 16 at 15:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I can get from Nuneaton, where I live, to Euston in an hour.

[Edited on 11-09-2016 by Tiger]
VrsTurbo
Premium Member

11th Sep 16 at 15:35   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

But Nuneaton
pow
Premium Member

11th Sep 16 at 18:16   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'll rent you my spare room and run you to beaconsfield every morning
Tiger

11th Sep 16 at 20:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
But Nuneaton

It's not all bad.
Dom

12th Sep 16 at 19:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

With peak traffic sure, otherwise MK is fine - £38 for a week car parking isn't too shabby though but i would check the time/length of stay on that.

Bedford could possibly be another option as it's only 40 mins into St Pancras/Kings Cross; getting from the A1 or M1 across town could be a bit of a pig but if you time it right then it'll be fine.
willay
Organiser: South East, National Events
Premium Member

13th Sep 16 at 06:42   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Epping station is 15 minutes from me, parking can be abitch but its at the start of the line so getting a seat is not a problem.
Steve
Premium Member

13th Sep 16 at 07:30   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Fucking love to bum you
sxibeast

13th Sep 16 at 09:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dom
quote:

With peak traffic sure, otherwise MK is fine - £38 for a week car parking isn't too shabby though but i would check the time/length of stay on that.

Bedford could possibly be another option as it's only 40 mins into St Pancras/Kings Cross; getting from the A1 or M1 across town could be a bit of a pig but if you time it right then it'll be fine.

Even in peak traffic its not bad, and you'll soon pick up the shortcuts through estates.

There are plenty of free areas to park near MK station (near Wickes/Maplins or one of the estates that back onto it) if you dont mind a 10-15 minute (max) walk from them? At the time you'll be getting there, there'll be ample space.
Kyle T
Premium Member

13th Sep 16 at 12:14   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers guys, all good info.

I think I might try MK next week, then Epping the following week.

This week was train in from home, gotta say it was ace to only have to get up at 6 and was reasonably fresh when getting to work.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
3CorsaMeal

13th Sep 16 at 12:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Get a motorbike imo
ed

13th Sep 16 at 15:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I do Northampton to Euston most days, so nothing compared to yours. One tip though, instead of going MK Euston, could go Bletchley Euston as the parking and fare is cheaper (unless they're paying for transport). I often go in from Bletchley and it's just over 30 mins.
deano87

18th Sep 16 at 20:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Don't discount Peterborough. Fast train / intercity thing to London Kings Cross. On the A1(M) before the traffic gets shite at A14, Black Cat and Stevenage.

That's the last stop on the fast trains before Stevenage and then London.

Either way, journey sounds a complete pain in the arse.
Kyle T
Premium Member

19th Sep 16 at 11:37   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Tried the Epping option today, fucking disaster

Out of the house at 5am, made good time till Cambridge then all hell broke loose. Lost about an hour at Cambridge, got diverted off the A1 and then got stuck in the middle of nowhere for a bit.

Finally got to Epping way after the last parking spot was filled, so turned around and headed for my accommodation in Gravesend. Got to.Gravesend for 11, high speed train into London for 11.30 and tube to the office just in time for lunch

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
willay
Organiser: South East, National Events
Premium Member

19th Sep 16 at 12:03   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

mate, the fucking car park at Epping is a joke. What time did u get there?

I had to use epping the other day because the overland trains were buggered and all the roadworks near the station, what a mission
DaveyLC

19th Sep 16 at 14:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

FUCK THAT! I hope they are paying you LOTS of wodge.
Wrighty

19th Sep 16 at 18:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

they will be
VrsTurbo
Premium Member

19th Sep 16 at 18:53   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Contract azure role I'm going to say around £400/500 per day

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » London commuting from oop North 23 database queries in 0.2198501 seconds