corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Mini R53 - now for sale

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Mini R53 - now for sale
RichR
Premium Member

User status: Offline
7th Sep 16 at 12:39   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My Jag is pretty much dead and as a few things have fallen through with the car I should be replacing it with, I've been looking for a cheap, fun, stop-gap car for the next 6-12 months.

I've settled on two which I'm going to see this weekend, my cousin is a BMW/Mini main dealer technician so hes given me all the common issues to look out for but I'm stuck between two so looking for opinions:

The first is a private sale, quite modified including engine modifications and I was put off by the 1 month MOT on it but the owner has said they'll put 12months on it if I buy it.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201608176880748?search-target=usedcars&make=mini&model=hatch&price-to=4500&year-from=2004&maximum-mileage=up_to_70000_miles&transmission=manual&searchcontext=default&radius=80&keywords=%22Cooper%20S%22&sort=default&postcode=st137jq&page=1&onesearchad=new%2Cnearlynew%2Cused&body-type=hatchback&logcode=p&adPos=8

The second is a dealer, almost standard, near mint condition. Comes with warranty and the back up of having bought from a dealer so recourse if something goes wrong.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201609057446661?search-target=usedcars&make=mini&model=hatch&price-to=4500&year-from=2004&maximum-mileage=up_to_70000_miles&transmission=manual&searchcontext=default&postcode=st137jq&radius=80&page=2&keywords=%22Cooper%20S%22&sort=default&body-type=hatchback&onesearchad=new%2Cnearlynew%2Cused&logcode=p&adPos=1

I'm leaning towards the private but the only thing off-putting is whether ti will be harder to shift on being modified down the line or if that kind of thing isn't an issue with the Mini world.

Any advice, thoughts or help would be appreciated.

[Edited on 10-02-2017 by RichR]
Chris x

7th Sep 16 at 13:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I personally prefer the modded one.

What killed the jag in the end?
RichR
Premium Member

7th Sep 16 at 13:13   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

215k, 2 years of no maintenance and generally not taking care of it. My wife has a new job with a company car which was due to start this month so I was havin her TT-Q but the job has been put back to the next intake in February. I can't justify spending a penny on the jag to get it through its MOT next month as its so tatty and got a couple of issues I'm not prepared to pay out to fix so want/need another car at least for now.
willay
Organiser: South East, National Events
Premium Member

7th Sep 16 at 14:19   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

12 month MOT if you buy it, what a crock of shit, why not just put through anyway and make it more attractive to buyers

[Edited on 07-09-2016 by willay]
willay
Premium Member

7th Sep 16 at 14:21   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Also modifications dont seem that bad on the first one now I've read the link, pulley, cold feed, catback and a lsd. Most of it looks factory or is factory!
tom_simes
Show Staff
Organiser: South Wales
Premium Member

7th Sep 16 at 14:33   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by willay
Also modifications dont seem that bad on the first one now I've read the link, pulley, cold feed, catback and a lsd. Most of it looks factory or is factory!

Agree with Will, most of the mods are JCW (so likely to be factory, or at least manufacturer approved), and then there's the SC pulley and cold air induction kit, both of which are reversible if you want to. The LSD will also be very useful on a powerful FWD motor.
RichR
Premium Member

7th Sep 16 at 14:39   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Female owner, spoke to her last night-I genuinely dot think she realised the short MOT would put people off so she's booking it in for MOT early next week when she's off work. My wording probably wasn't clear in my first post sorry.
FlaFFy_91
Premium Member

7th Sep 16 at 16:35   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Private one is a gtt car. That will put people off buying when you come to sell.
They've not got a very good reputation in the mini world.
RichR
Premium Member

7th Sep 16 at 16:38   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Aside from the badge, what would give away that it was done by GTT? I'd dump the badge anyway as not keen on badges at the best of times!!
Andrew

7th Sep 16 at 17:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Dealer

Not much more expensive
It's not been played with in a shed by some idiot that doesn't know what they were doing
Easy way to shift the jag getting more than the scrap value
Warranty
AndyCorsaSport

7th Sep 16 at 17:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Andrew
Dealer

Not much more expensive
It's not been played with in a shed by some idiot that doesn't know what they were doing
Easy way to shift the jag getting more than the scrap value
Warranty

you talk utter bollocks
RichR
Premium Member

7th Sep 16 at 21:54   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm really not bothered by the cost difference particularly; up until last week after we found out my missus' promotion had been put back, I was looking at Disco 4s, Elise/Exige, Touareg, Westfields, XF-R and an XK-R before shifting to a van; I even tested a V8 Vantage and started thinking about GTRs and R8s but I can't decide on anything plus it seems stupid to spend big when I live in a house without a kitchen; I'd look fucking ridiculous having an expensive car parked outside a building site which is when I started looking sub 5K and was amazed at what you can get for your money. Realistically, I'm not going to lose anything even if I keep it for 12months. I bought my Jag for £3.5k 6 years and 125k ago and that owes me nothing. So a £200 difference isn't even slightly on my mind Andrew; I'd have lost a lot more if I'd bought any of the above.
FlaFFy_91
Premium Member

9th Sep 16 at 21:12   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by RichR
Aside from the badge, what would give away that it was done by GTT? I'd dump the badge anyway as not keen on badges at the best of times!!

I may be wrong but I sure the air filter or airbox and charger pulley have gtt stamped on them.
Other than that I don't think there's anything else to show its a gtt.
RichR
Premium Member

11th Sep 16 at 22:21   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Test drove the standard one, it is really clean, has obviously been well looked after but I just don't like the blue interior in a blue car so not going for it. Seemingly eveything is against me even looking at the modified one so feels like it is becoming too much effort. However, after driving the first one, I definitely want one for a bit so now trying to find a grey one in the right spec without moon miles.
RichR
Premium Member

16th Sep 16 at 09:59   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Bought one, '04 plate, 60k, aero kit, full leather and sat.nav, picked it up last night; supercharger noise is addictive!
kz

18th Sep 16 at 21:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've got full leather and sat nav and I hate both options lol.

If you like the supercharger standard, get one of these

https://orranje.co.uk/shop-by-brand/orranje/orranje-stealth-cold-air-intake-kit
RichR
Premium Member

21st Sep 16 at 02:45   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

First job I've got to sort is the broken dipstick which is a bit of a pita and then get it in for a full, decent service as it hasn't officially had one since Nov' 2012 (it's only done 9,000miles in that time though) and sort the wheels out as it must have been owned by a female at some time. Quite chuffed with it for the money I paid but prefer the power delivery of the TT so might sell this in February once it's tidied up and I can have the missus' TT which I've already bought off her anyway. That said, there's something nice about how small the mini is compared to my jag; easy to find parking spaces now!!
willay
Premium Member

21st Sep 16 at 08:28   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by RichR
Bought one, '04 plate, 60k, aero kit, full leather and sat.nav, picked it up last night; supercharger noise is addictive!

pics pls
RichR
Premium Member

10th Feb 17 at 16:30   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Bought it, enjoyed it, now selling it. so pics for Willay 6 months late.

http://www.corsasport.co.uk/board/viewthread.php?tid=671602&pid=9026082#pid9026082

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Mini R53 - now for sale 22 database queries in 0.0165551 seconds