corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » McLaren P1 round Knockhill (World of Supercars Show & Trackday)

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author McLaren P1 round Knockhill (World of Supercars Show & Trackday)
BluKoo

User status: Offline
   25th Jul 16 at 12:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

On of my mates just bought the last ever built McLaren P1 and had it down at Knockhill to show at the "World of Supercars Show & Trackday."

DX7A3843 by Murray Aitken, on Flickr

Being a racing driver too of course he had it on track and said he'd take me out for a few laps.

The weather was typically Scottish. When we arrived at 8am to get the cars in place (my dad and bro were showing theirs too), it was dry, sunny and really warm. However around 10 am as soon as the first batch of cars came on track the heavens opened and it rained pretty much the rest of the day. This definitely made my passenger laps more memorable though. Not that I'd be likely to forget anyway.

The owner is a very quiet and non-showey kind of guy, but when he gets a chance to make an impression behind the wheel, he does just that.
This was his first time on track with it and only his second time driving it but he was still driving it to it's limit in what was a very wet and greasy track. Drifting the likes of an M3 around a wet track takes balls, but a Ł2 million pound McLaren, that's titanium ball territory.

Having had an i8 for a while I knew what to expect from a hybrid, but the P1 was just far more incredible. The noise, the delivery, the responsiveness and from what I could tell from the passenger seat, the balance of it is amazing. Very predictable and easy to control on it's edge.
It was just tearing past most other things on the track.

I had my camera gear with me, but apparently cars were getting pulled back into the pits if they were seen filming, so I did manage to take a video, but you can't see much as I was trying to hide it down in my lap. Might upload a little later just to hear the noise. There are some parts you can see him fighting the wheels to keep the car on track haha.

It was an awesome day and one I won't forget in a while.

When I was taking pics I mostly concentrated on cars of which I knew the owner so I could give them the shots, so there are a few of the same car.

DX7A3723 by Murray Aitken, on Flickr

DX7A3724 by Murray Aitken, on Flickr

DX7A4071 by Murray Aitken, on Flickr

DX7A4204-flame by Murray Aitken, on Flickr

DX7A3488 by Murray Aitken, on Flickr

DX7A3494 by Murray Aitken, on Flickr

DX7A3510 by Murray Aitken, on Flickr

DX7A3518 by Murray Aitken, on Flickr

DX7A3531 by Murray Aitken, on Flickr

DX7A3572 by Murray Aitken, on Flickr

More to come as I work my way through...
Ellis

25th Jul 16 at 12:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nice pictures Murray. He a local Stoney lad?

Incredible piece of kit with an incredible price tag.

ETA: reason for the attitude towards filming the cars?

[Edited on 25-07-2016 by Ellis]
BluKoo

25th Jul 16 at 12:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ellis
Nice pictures Murray. He a local Stoney lad?

Incredible piece of kit with an incredible price tag.

ETA: reason for the attitude towards filming the cars?

[Edited on 25-07-2016 by Ellis]

He's originally from town, but his growing car collection basically meant he needed more space so he moved out to the countryside to a farm with a big shed to keep his toys.

I saw loads of cars with go-pros etc, so it wasn't the filming, it was maybe more a loose hand held decide which could get dropped and fall under a pedal or if there was an accident then could rattle around the cabin.

It's a shame I didn't catch more with my filming because a 650S spun infront of us just coming out of Duffus Dip causing quite a sketchy moment, but all was well in the end.
Ellis

25th Jul 16 at 12:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Very nice indeed.

Mind if I ask what camera gear you're using for stills? Surely I'll run into you one day at a GT Scotland event or similar.
BluKoo

25th Jul 16 at 12:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Very nice indeed.

Mind if I ask what camera gear you're using for stills? Surely I'll run into you one day at a GT Scotland event or similar.

It's a 5D MkIII and I had my 70-200 on pretty much all day and coulnd't be arsed changing lenses in the rain hence the lack of parked car shots.

Forgot to mention we had a nice wee convoy on the way home. My dad's mate's Veryron Grandsport Vitesse WRC (1 of 8).

Ellis

25th Jul 16 at 13:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Some nice kit there sir.

Thought I was being flamboyant buying a second hand 35mm f/1.8 lens on eBay the other day

Is that the Kingsway in Dundee? If so, I hope you weren't stationary too long!
whitter45

25th Jul 16 at 13:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

awesome photo's as always
Steve
Premium Member

25th Jul 16 at 13:09   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Are all these people actually your mates?
BluKoo

25th Jul 16 at 13:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Some nice kit there sir.

Thought I was being flamboyant buying a second hand 35mm f/1.8 lens on eBay the other day

Is that the Kingsway in Dundee? If so, I hope you weren't stationary too long!

Haha, well I do make money from my work so it literally pays to have good kit.

Yeah, the dreaded Kingsway. We were stationary long enough to draw quite a bit of attention from everyone passing by lol.
Amazingly the Veyron didn't steal all the attention, the GT3RS got a few looks too.

A few cars behind...

Just uploaded the video from the laps. At about 33 seconds in the 650 begins to spin. That's why we hit the anchors and swerve to go past him.
You can also see the signature on the dashboard from Frank Stephenson the designer of the P1.

https://youtu.be/Laowf-DAaxc
BluKoo

25th Jul 16 at 13:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Steve
Are all these people actually your mates?

What do you mean these people. I'm talking about one person here.
Steve
Premium Member

25th Jul 16 at 13:18   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

This one and all the other posts you have made featuring expensive cars, all of them seem to be "a mate"
BluKoo

25th Jul 16 at 13:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Steve
This one and all the other posts you have made featuring expensive cars, all of them seem to be "a mate"

Yeah, you caught me. I'm lying. They don't belong to a mate at all. They're all mine haha

Nah, I've known the owner of the P1 for a good few years now. Met him when I shot his Noble many moons ago. My bro now looks after most of his cars and my dad keeps some cars out at his house.

The owner of the Veyron is a guy my dad went to college with. Always catching up at meets around the area.
BluKoo

25th Jul 16 at 13:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ps. I don't know the guy with the La Ferrari and i'm not claiming to.
Although I do know of him. He used to have a McLaren F1 back in the day. He actually bought 3 ex-Le Mans F1s and converted them back to road spec. Saw them on a transporter heading out to his house back in my school days. Still a sight I remember well

My bro will have the La Ferrari in shortly thought, so probably have more pics to come i'm sure.

[Edited on 25-07-2016 by BluKoo]
nathy_87

25th Jul 16 at 15:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

nathy_87

25th Jul 16 at 16:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by BluKoo

My bro will have the La Ferrari in shortly thought, so probably have more pics to come i'm sure.

[Edited on 25-07-2016 by BluKoo]

Is that for his detailing work? If so would you be able to post the write up that he does for it please?
Kyle T
Premium Member

25th Jul 16 at 17:42   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Great to see one used like that, I imagine it'll be a very rare sight even in your social circles

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
3CorsaMeal

25th Jul 16 at 18:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Adam perthericks rallye corsa gave them the inspiration for the roof vent
Corsa_Sport21

25th Jul 16 at 18:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Your not allowed any hand held loose devices on track, needs to fixed in place. Id have thought that would be obvious.
BluKoo

25th Jul 16 at 20:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Kyle T
Great to see one used like that, I imagine it'll be a very rare sight even in your social circles

Rare enough. Syd has a blue one but see his cars less often. Plus I think it's actually his wifes now as he bought a 918 and gave the P1 to her...

[Edited on 26-07-2016 by BluKoo]
kz

25th Jul 16 at 20:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My favourite cars ever, but I'm still pissed off that an English company only makes them in LHD.
Kyle T
Premium Member

25th Jul 16 at 21:02   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by kz
My favourite cars ever, but I'm still pissed off that an English company only makes them in LHD.

It amazes me with the sheer range of bespoke options and specifications that come on these hypercars that they won't put the driving seat wherever the fuck you want it. It's not like these are mass produced and there's a tooling up cost to produce both RHD and LHD models which would cut into the stack em' high and cheap economics.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Ellis

26th Jul 16 at 07:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Corsa_Sport21
Your not allowed any hand held loose devices on track, needs to fixed in place. Id have thought that would be obvious.

I didn't interpret correctly, I thought he meant filming from trackside.
VrsTurbo
Premium Member

26th Jul 16 at 09:08   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Kyle T
quote:
Originally posted by kz

It amazes me with the sheer range of bespoke options and specifications that come on these hypercars that they won't put the driving seat wherever the fuck you want it. It's not like these are mass produced and there's a tooling up cost to produce both RHD and LHD models which would cut into the stack em' high and cheap economics.

When i did some work for Noble they were telling me the cost it takes to manufacture a car with different steering and its eye watering.

You'll get more people wanting left hookers as that is more % of the population that needs a left hooker

BluKoo

26th Jul 16 at 12:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by nathy_87
quote:

Is that for his detailing work? If so would you be able to post the write up that he does for it please?

Sorry, missed this comment.

Yeah it'll either be for detailing or paint protection film application. He now deals in Xpel film.

He no longer does write ups as he doesn't have the time, and he said he only ever did them to promote the business, but the order books are constantly full these days, so they'd have no benefit. He does now have a facebook page for Polished Bliss though, so give that a like and you'll see updated and pics now and again

https://www.facebook.com/PolishedBlissDetailingServices
nathy_87

26th Jul 16 at 12:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by nathy_87
quote:

Sorry, missed this comment.

Yeah it'll either be for detailing or paint protection film application. He now deals in Xpel film.

He no longer does write ups as he doesn't have the time, and he said he only ever did them to promote the business, but the order books are constantly full these days, so they'd have no benefit. He does now have a facebook page for Polished Bliss though, so give that a like and you'll see updated and pics now and again

https://www.facebook.com/PolishedBlissDetailingServices

Ah it's a shame he can't do the write ups as it was a really interested read. Guess i could go and do a search on here for the previous ones and Thank you Blu

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » McLaren P1 round Knockhill (World of Supercars Show & Trackday) 23 database queries in 0.1916540 seconds