corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » Audi Shitbox - Euro Trip Project

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Audi Shitbox - Euro Trip Project
nibnob21
Premium Member

User status: Offline
1st Jun 16 at 18:54   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

13 of us going on a Euro road trip in August with 4 cars. Challenge 1 was to buy the cars with a £300 budget per car. I volunteered for the role of car buyer for my team and picked this up for £210.

2.6L V6, 176000 miles, engine and gearbox run nice and smooth, ok tyres, brakes stop you eventually, plenty of MOT.

Pics from the ad:

Inevitably it does need a bit of tlc but not as much as you may expect. Paintwork has certainly seen better days. A clean and a polish should make it more presentable.

Recently changed the stereo in my MX5 so had a spare lying about. Fitted it to this so we can listen to our own tunes through the aux cable. Also hoovered and steam cleaned the interior.

Noticed it had a bit of an oil leak from the oil cooler area.

The oil filter wasn't leaking and after stripping a few bits down the oil cooler o-ring also looked fine. A bit of further poking around points towards the oil pressure switch. Thankfully they only cost a few quid I'll also change the oil and filter when I put it back together.

Air filter is nice and clean and spark plugs look fine, pollen filter was black though so I've replaced that. Couple of bulbs needed replacing but other than that it doesn't need anything. May do the fuel filter.

Got bored today so decided to steam clean the engine bay for shits and giggles. Stupidly I didn't get any before photos but it was a bit of a state. Got a couple that show the level of dirt that was everywhere.

The metal pipes coming through the engine cover were black and covered in sludge. All clean now and plastics dressed.

Current total is £240.33 including a couple of bits already bought that are needed to drive in France.

Still to do:
  • Fit new oil pressure switch and oil cooler o-ring
  • Oil and filter change
  • Buy hi vis jacket
  • Strip, clean and reassemble brakes
  • Wash and polish

[Edited on 01-06-2016 by nibnob21]

MX5 Project Thread
noshua

1st Jun 16 at 19:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Wow that engine bay is immaculate. Nice find, a lot of car for the money
kennySRi

1st Jun 16 at 19:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

interior and engine bay are spotless. Nice choice of car, can't go wrong with the really.

Any pics of what the other guys have bought?
nibnob21
Premium Member

1st Jun 16 at 20:04   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The pictures are flattering, but yes the interior is pretty good. The driver's arm rest on the door has collapsed so I need to pad that out with some foam, and there are a few other bits that show its age. But for 20 years and 176,000 miles it's in remarkable condition inside. It's the exterior that lets the car down, hopefully a good clean and polish will go some way to rectify that. Can't polish out dents, chips and surface rust though!

Only one other car has been bought so far. Mk4 1.9 tdi for £300, may be the gt version but not sure. Haven't seen it properly in the flesh.

MX5 Project Thread
DaveyLC

2nd Jun 16 at 11:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Why are you bothering with the cosmetics? Make sure its reliable, drive it into the ground around Europe then weigh the turd in.
Steve
Premium Member

2nd Jun 16 at 11:57   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

be impressed if this makes it back without problem
pow
Premium Member

2nd Jun 16 at 11:58   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

176000 My BMW is on 175500 now, need to stack a few more on it
spencer88

2nd Jun 16 at 13:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Steve

Why?

Our shitbox Cinquecento made it around Europe without a single problem.
nibnob21
Premium Member

2nd Jun 16 at 14:20   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by DaveyLC
Why are you bothering with the cosmetics? Make sure its reliable, drive it into the ground around Europe then weigh the turd in.

Read the post, I am making sure it's reliable. I find the cleaning work quite satisfying and it costs me nothing.

quote:

We'll see, but I don't see why there should be a problem. Main reason I bought it over 2 months in advance is so I have time to familiarise myself with it and address any issues.

I've been underneath and there aren't any structural issues, the rubber hoses in the engine bay look ok, the fuel and brake lines don't appear corroded, the exhaust is in one piece, the radiator fan works and holds the temp at around 90.

MX5 Project Thread
nibnob21
Premium Member

2nd Jun 16 at 14:21   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cambelt done in late 2010 about 30000 miles ago.

MX5 Project Thread
djgritt
Premium Member

2nd Jun 16 at 14:38   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Looks a good buy.

This isn't for a banger rally is it? If it is, this is far too nice for one of those...
DaveyLC

2nd Jun 16 at 15:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by nibnob21
quote:

Read the post, I am making sure it's reliable. I find the cleaning work quite satisfying and it costs me nothing.

I did read it.. WASH & POLISH is on your list of things to do
Generation

2nd Jun 16 at 16:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I was thinking the same as him actually.
pow
Premium Member

2nd Jun 16 at 17:12   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You need a bit o cruise control on there
Ian W

2nd Jun 16 at 18:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by spencer88
quote:

Why?

Our shitbox Cinquecento made it around Europe without a single problem.

Same as our Volvo, figured if it has made it over 200k, another 3k was unlikely to kill it.
nibnob21
Premium Member

2nd Jun 16 at 19:14   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by djgritt
Looks a good buy.

This isn't for a banger rally is it? If it is, this is far too nice for one of those...

No, just for a laugh with friends.

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by nibnob21
quote:

I did read it.. WASH & POLISH is on your list of things to do

As is oil and filter change, replace oil pressure switch and oil cooler o-ring and check the brakes over. Air filter and spark plugs have also been checked.

In other words, a service. You know, the sort of thing that makes sure it's reliable. Incredible selective reading.

Pow - that would be nice but hey ho, can't have it all.

Ian - that's my thinking too. If it's got to 176,00 I'm sure another 2,000 will be fine.

MX5 Project Thread
nibnob21
Premium Member

2nd Jun 16 at 20:33   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

While waiting for some of the service items to arrive (several bits I'm doing that will make the car reliable) I had a bit of spare time today so thought I'd see how the paint may come up - just to please Davey and get Generation's grumpy piss flaps in a twist. Had a go on the boot and one of the rear quarters. The photos flatter but I've been able to remove some pretty bad hazing on the panels. Yes, the boot is a different colour to the rest of the car.

Before:

After:

Before:

After:

Before:

After:

Everyone knows clean cars mean you don't break down.

MX5 Project Thread
DaveyLC

2nd Jun 16 at 20:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You need a girlfriend.

nibnob21
Premium Member

2nd Jun 16 at 21:13   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Got one. She's real and everything. I even let her out of the house sometimes.

MX5 Project Thread
noshua

3rd Jun 16 at 05:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That's where you are going wrong nib nob, u NEVER let them out the house
pow
Premium Member

3rd Jun 16 at 07:16   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Come do the BMW? I'll pay you. B-M-swirly-mcswirly-W
pow
Premium Member

3rd Jun 16 at 07:17   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

BTW what did you use to steam clean the engine bay? Both my cars want doing and I have a steam cleaner but waht attachement did you use?
nibnob21
Premium Member

3rd Jun 16 at 07:36   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by noshua
That's where you are going wrong nib nob, u NEVER let them out the house

It's ok, for some reason she comes back.

quote:
Originally posted by pow
BTW what did you use to steam clean the engine bay? Both my cars want doing and I have a steam cleaner but waht attachement did you use?

Mainly used steam to steam clean it.

Had a small brush attachment I used wrapped in a microfibre for some stubborn bits but in general I just used a small nozzle to blast bits directly then wiped over with a cloth. There was a lot of dirt but nothing that was too stuck on so it was fairly easy going.

After it was clean I just gave it a wipe with a light coating of Aerospace 303.

MX5 Project Thread
pow
Premium Member

3rd Jun 16 at 09:46   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ta. You sarcastic fucker

When do you go away?
nibnob21
Premium Member

3rd Jun 16 at 12:29   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by pow
Ta. You sarcastic fucker

When do you go away?

First week of August, so got a little while yet.

MX5 Project Thread

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » Audi Shitbox - Euro Trip Project 24 database queries in 0.1681120 seconds