corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Mini Cooper or Cooper S buying tips

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Mini Cooper or Cooper S buying tips
VegasPhil
Premium Member

User status: Offline
1st May 16 at 21:16   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I was lent a 2010 Mini Cooper S the other weekend and loved it. After hardly any deliberation our Clio has gone onto Autotrader and I am on the lookout for something mini-like for the wife (well...she'll be the wife in 5 weeks).

Anyway - I don't know a lot about these, but I have seen a lot crop up on here over the years so over to CS to pick up some tips .

I am looking at the facelift Cooper or Cooper S at about a 2007/57/08 plate. Criteria so far is decent history - I see a lot had this TLC pack which hopefully means they were taken back for servicing when they were supposed to. Chili Pack - I'm told a must have? Then the usuals - Low owners, decent tyres etc etc. Not fussed on higher mileage as it won't go far - Up to about 90k.

Is there anything I should be on the lookout for? Seen a bit about timing chains and using lots of oil etc.

[Edited on 01-05-2016 by VegasPhil]

Corsa 2.0 16v Vegas - Sold
kz

1st May 16 at 23:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm not really up on the R56 models but I think the facelift came in about 2012 so you're a little bit out there.

The actual engine was different before then, or something about it at least. They (the MCS/JCW) basically all suffer from needing a decoke, not a massive issue though as only costs a few hundred to sort, but certainly worth remembering. My mate spent £16k on his 2011 JCW last year and has already had to have the decoke, timing chain change and flywheel go... all in all about £1,500 in repairs in just 6 months!

I think, looking at the Mini forum quite regularly (although Mini Torque is a horrid place really) it seems the general consensus is to go for an R53 facelift (2004-2006) or R56 facelift (2012-2015) for the least issues
pow
Premium Member

2nd May 16 at 09:12   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You have to rememeber there are thousands and thousands of prefacelifts on the road with no problems at all, I often get the feeling that whenever you look at a buyers guide they try and get you to spend more than you need.
FlaFFy_91
Premium Member

2nd May 16 at 10:40   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If your getting a cooper s. Get one after 2010. That's when they changed from the n14 engine to the n18
N14 was the one with the Coke issue. The chain issue. The HPFP issue. The rail pressure sensor issue. So on so forth.
They sorted most of the problems when it came to the n18 so it's the one to go for. They still Suggest a decoke every 30k though. But they use far less oil and don't have the common issues as the n14. There also MUCH better to tune if you wanted to go down that route.
VegasPhil
Premium Member

2nd May 16 at 17:20   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It will be an older one. 8-10 years old.

I said facelift as they changed and had new bumpers/lights etc from about 2007 onwards.

DaveyLC

3rd May 16 at 11:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Funky looking cars and they are proper (not so) little go-karts but the drive is rough as bastard and it gets annoying fast
FlaFFy_91
Premium Member

7th May 16 at 16:53   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

They changed engine and shape and everything in late 2006 mate.

But the early turbo engines. The n14's are plagued with problems. Hence me saying stay away
kz

7th May 16 at 18:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cool well it seems you're talking about a whole new model R53 - R56 rather than a facelift...

Ride is a little rough, but it's mainly due to the runflats all Minis come with. I'm now down on coilovers and proper tyres and it feels a little better than stock
FlaFFy_91
Premium Member

10th May 16 at 09:29   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That's where he's confusing me.
The facelift was late 04 I think. And that's the r53 still.
The r56 came in late 06 and that's the turbo n14 cadburys engine
VegasPhil
Premium Member

10th May 16 at 20:51   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It clearly says in the OP the reg years of the cars I'm looking at. I don't understand the confusion.

Thanks for the advice anyway. I've picked out the relevant bits

kz

11th May 16 at 21:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The confusion is that you say you want a 07-08 facelift .

This doesn't exist.

Facelift (gen 1) ran from 04-06.
Facelift (gen 2) ran from 10-14.

07-08 will be a pre-facelift gen 2.

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Mini Cooper or Cooper S buying tips 23 database queries in 0.0102620 seconds