corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » New Car

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author New Car
Kyle T
Premium Member

User status: Offline
17th Apr 16 at 15:18   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The car I'll be using for daily duties has finally arrived, so thought I'd post up some pics. It's a Seat Leon Cupra 290, it's mine for two years on a 10k/year lease. (sorry)

I ordered it back in January. After the Subaru went I decided that I needed something a bit grown up as I'd be starting a new job that would involve driving to client sites, not only was the Sub too thirsty for that - it also wasn't very professional to look at, listen to or smell

I looked round Audi/BMW/Merc at their offerings but by the time I specced up a car/engine combo that didn't bore me half to death - they were all big money. The exec mobile I actually came closest to going for was the Jag XE.

I didn't intend to look at "hot hatches" again, but I saw a Cupra 280 knocking about somewhere and quite fancied it - so started looking into the Leon/Golf/S3 cars. To pre-empt the "shudda got a Golf R" comments: I'm not really sure why I went for the Leon over the Golf, it certainly wasn't the cost as they were near as damnit identical at the time but the Golf just didn't appeal for whatever reason. Maybe it was those ghastly wheels, I think the economy is a shade worse due to lugging the haldex shizzle around, maybe I just didn't want one.
That said, if the Golf R DSG Estate deals were around when I ordered I would certainly have gone Golf just to get the cheaper car.

Aesthetics wise it's the least hot hot hatch I've ever seen, and even when driving it's really refined and comfortable. In Cupra mode it's a bit louder (augmented through speakers I guess?) stiffer and the steering is heavier which makes it feel a little less boaty. These 2.0 VAG engines are quite impressive, the test drive I did in a Leon 280 back in December was the first experience I had of them. Pulls right through the revs, no noticable turbo lag and it's rather quick.

I really wanted a DSG car but the lease deals at the time were asking far too much money. You had to pay the full list price of DSG over your two years which is just silly. I opted though for the non free colour (red) and the adaptive cruise control which blows my mind, love it. Went for the cheap seats and the "Sub 8" pack with the track tyres and big brakes didn't appeal for fairly obvious reasons.

Did my first big boy commute and it returned 36.5mpg over 90 miles or so. Included motorways, stop/start and a bit of city driving. The driving I've been doing over the weekend has been closer to 22mpg though, running it in see.

[Edited on 17-04-2016 by Kyle T]

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Ben G

17th Apr 16 at 16:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I would never in a million years expect that car to have 290ps
Jambo

17th Apr 16 at 16:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Love these!
Nic Barnes

17th Apr 16 at 16:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

they look really good. Will be better on fuel than a golf as it doesn't have awd.

I find the adaptive cruise control mental at first but now I'm used to it it's brilliant.

Good choice!
oJNAo
Premium Member

17th Apr 16 at 16:42   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Very nice, I like the dark grey on newer cars
Kyle T
Premium Member

17th Apr 16 at 16:57   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ben G
I would never in a million years expect that car to have 290ps

I know, it's crackers. I think that might be part of why I went for it, getting a bit bored now of the friends/family comments regarding my choice of cars. As far as they're concerned I've gone sensible for a bit

I couldn't have been less excited about the arrival of this car, since ordering it I went and bought the Lotus so I've been somewhat distracted plus the fact it's a lease - can't get excited about renting a car.

When it got delivered at work and I saw it in the carpark - I finally got a bit giddy about it. Since driving it for a few days I'm rather chuffed, it's much quicker than I imagined and critically is very comfortable. I wouldn't be embarrassed taking a grandparent or "non car friend" out in this car, which I've not been able to say about any of my cars for years

Cheers dudes.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Corsa_Sport21

17th Apr 16 at 21:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Whats the performance like compared to a Golf R? Are they same engine? Id imagine this would destroy 1 once moving as no 4wd transmission losses etc.
Nic Barnes

17th Apr 16 at 22:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It probably would be faster though. It's about 10bhp less and 10lb/ft less and about 40kg lighter.
Kyle T
Premium Member

18th Apr 16 at 08:27   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

A few magazines did track tests between the older Cupra 280 and the Golf R of the time and the Leon was typically a bit quicker round a lap but obviously there wasn't much in it.

Someone took it round Blyton actually, matched my best time in the Subaru... but he was a pro driver and it was his 2nd ever lap in that car Maybe the Subaru flattered me a bit

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Ellis

18th Apr 16 at 08:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

290PS

Just shows you how far the hot hatch has come. I bet that's a hoot to drive. Very subtle too. Great choice sir.

[Edited on 18-04-2016 by Ellis]
kz

18th Apr 16 at 20:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

290bhp in a Leon is crazy. Seat have come a long way... I think that looks fantastic! Good choice over the Golf R imo, because I see those every where now.

Only thing I would say was that it's a bit high and side on looks a bit bulky, but I guess most modern hatches are like that. I couldn't lease a car like that because I'd have to slam it
Mark.W

19th Apr 16 at 08:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Really like these too
IvIarkgraham
Premium Member

19th Apr 16 at 08:43   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cool people drive seats!!!
Kyle T
Premium Member

19th Apr 16 at 15:57   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

This car is getting a fairly good reception it seems, the people who've seen it/been in it seem quite fond too.

New record today after 35miles or so of variable speed limits on the M62!

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
kz

19th Apr 16 at 20:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Is that a hair or a crack near the 20? Either way, I don't like it.
Nic Barnes

19th Apr 16 at 20:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That's great mpg. Most I've had out the golf on a run was 38
big eck

19th Apr 16 at 20:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not a fan of the looks of the mk3. To plain considering that SEATs supposed to be the fun side of the vag group. They're bloody quick tho. Nothing but a simple map takes them up to 375bhp.
Ben G

19th Apr 16 at 21:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Is that on dave A's rollers???
3CorsaMeal

19th Apr 16 at 22:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I bet someone or even you has rubbed the painted in the sun and commented on the sparkle. People do that, it's like metallic paint is a new thing still

It does have a nice sparkle though
Kyle T
Premium Member

20th Apr 16 at 07:59   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by kz

Bloody cat hairs get everywhere! She's not been anywhere near the car but they cling to my clothes and fill every car I've ever sat in with hair.

Even found a cat hair inside our rental car when we went to Florida a few years ago

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Kyle T
Premium Member

20th Apr 16 at 08:03   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by 3CorsaMeal
I bet someone or even you has rubbed the painted in the sun and commented on the sparkle. People do that, it's like metallic paint is a new thing still

Funny story about that...

On Sunday I washed the car for the first time and decided to give it a decent coat of wax, then after that just take it round the poles on a weekly/fortnightly basis. It's a daily and will do more miles than I've ever done in a car, and it won't be mine in 23 months and 3 weeks.

I dug through my cleaning supplies and found a wee tub of "angel wax" which is apparently especially formulated for grey and silver cars. I had this from the Subaru days, obviously.

I'd only ever used it once on the Subaru and couldn't remember why - so I whipped it out and got to work.

Instructions say to coat the whole car, let it cure then buff off - so covered the entire car and came to buff off, and it was like fucking concrete I could only describe it as the same consistency as weetabix leftovers if you leave your bowl on the side over night, rock solid and wasn't going anywhere.

I actually ended up using a hand polish to buff it off, then gave it a quick wipedown with some Megs quick wax spray. The Angelwax is hateful bastard stuff, never ever use it or attempt to use it. I got the odd spec on black trim and it's the hardest thing to remove from that too. I had to throw away two microfibre towels and pretty sure it ruined a t-shirt too.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
kz

20th Apr 16 at 19:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Kyle T
quote:
Originally posted by kz

Bloody cat hairs get everywhere! She's not been anywhere near the car but they cling to my clothes and fill every car I've ever sat in with hair.

Even found a cat hair inside our rental car when we went to Florida a few years ago

My Renault 5 GT Turbo seats were the worst for that. Sold it about 3 years ago but I'm pretty confident they'll still be some hairs attached
3CorsaMeal

20th Apr 16 at 20:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Kyle T
quote:
Originally posted by 3CorsaMeal

Funny story about that...

On Sunday I washed the car for the first time and decided to give it a decent coat of wax, then after that just take it round the poles on a weekly/fortnightly basis. It's a daily and will do more miles than I've ever done in a car, and it won't be mine in 23 months and 3 weeks.

I dug through my cleaning supplies and found a wee tub of "angel wax" which is apparently especially formulated for grey and silver cars. I had this from the Subaru days, obviously.

I'd only ever used it once on the Subaru and couldn't remember why - so I whipped it out and got to work.

Instructions say to coat the whole car, let it cure then buff off - so covered the entire car and came to buff off, and it was like fucking concrete I could only describe it as the same consistency as weetabix leftovers if you leave your bowl on the side over night, rock solid and wasn't going anywhere.

I actually ended up using a hand polish to buff it off, then gave it a quick wipedown with some Megs quick wax spray. The Angelwax is hateful bastard stuff, never ever use it or attempt to use it. I got the odd spec on black trim and it's the hardest thing to remove from that too. I had to throw away two microfibre towels and pretty sure it ruined a t-shirt too.

I've had that happen. Proper pain in the arse.

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » New Car 23 database queries in 0.0159850 seconds