corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Fly Fishing Tips?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Fly Fishing Tips?
Ricky352

User status: Offline
15th Mar 16 at 17:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've been fishing for about five years for trout, pike, tench, perch etc etc, but have only used bait or lures.

Today I bought a fly rod. I've never held a fly rod, or even been in the company of someone fly fishing, so would any of you have some good beginners tips?

Is the idea to place the fly on the top of he water and let it float downstream?
Generation

15th Mar 16 at 17:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

YouTube
_Allan_

15th Mar 16 at 20:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

There is a really good book on it by J. R. Hartley.
DaveyLC

16th Mar 16 at 09:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by _Allan_
There is a really good book on it by J. R. Hartley.

You need to be old to understand that one.
Ricky352

16th Mar 16 at 11:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Generation
YouTube

Can't watch videos in work, and I don't have internet in the house.
ShEp

16th Mar 16 at 20:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cast toward the middle of the river, and let it float down.

Depends on what fly you use as to how it behaves, some will sink slightly, if the fish are rising, it's self explanatory you want the fly on top.

Watch whats behind you too, too easy for people to forget the line is going back as far as it is forwards, also wear a hat, you'd be surprised how easy you can catch your ear
Ricky352

17th Mar 16 at 10:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers ShEp. Looking forward to a bit of trial and error this weekend.
Bart

18th Mar 16 at 19:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Always wanted to learn to fly fish but never got round to it.
Lure fishing for bass all the way for me
Neo

18th Mar 16 at 21:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My ex used to fly fish, used to cast out and reel in super slowly.

Only time I ever saw her catch anything, she went off to get lunch and I was dicking around and cast out and reeled in super fast. Ended up having a fish attached with no clue what to do. Let it flail around for a bit till she came back.

So basically just Twat about till a retarded fish gets stuck on it.

Ricky352

21st Mar 16 at 10:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Was a busy weekend for me, and only got out fishing for an hour or two, so went back to using lures in the hope of attracting a trout. Caught nothing, and will have to get onto the fly asap.
3CorsaMeal

21st Mar 16 at 10:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have caught trout with a float setup with a slug on the end, just trot it down the river
ShEp

21st Mar 16 at 10:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Was out pike fishing one night last year, and caught a 7lb brown on a spinner, was not expecting it
BarnshaW

21st Mar 16 at 12:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the idea is to move about and find the trout and not spend too long in the same location.

Tackle and flies depends entirely on the environment and surroundings, best advice is to check around for what bugs/flies are in abundance and use a fly which looks as close to them as possible as that's what the trout will be eating.

Surface not necessarily the best choice, can try but also try sinking ones, can even have both on the same line, a top fly and one further down the line which sinks/part sinks.

but yes the idea is to have a fly leader (coloured line you see) and a normal mainline hooklink and to cast out to the desired area, you generate the length of the cast by flicking the line back and forth and peeling it out a bit at a time to get the weight of it to the area you are fishing, practice practice practice, its bloody hard, tried myself but wasn't for me, is an art and knack to it, recommend somewhere with a lot of space to get used to it otherwise you will be forever snagging trees and bushes.
Ricky352

21st Mar 16 at 12:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by BarnshaW
the idea is to move about and find the trout and not spend too long in the same location.

Tackle and flies depends entirely on the environment and surroundings, best advice is to check around for what bugs/flies are in abundance and use a fly which looks as close to them as possible as that's what the trout will be eating.

Surface not necessarily the best choice, can try but also try sinking ones, can even have both on the same line, a top fly and one further down the line which sinks/part sinks.

but yes the idea is to have a fly leader (coloured line you see) and a normal mainline hooklink and to cast out to the desired area, you generate the length of the cast by flicking the line back and forth and peeling it out a bit at a time to get the weight of it to the area you are fishing, practice practice practice, its bloody hard, tried myself but wasn't for me, is an art and knack to it, recommend somewhere with a lot of space to get used to it otherwise you will be forever snagging trees and bushes.

Aye good tips. I've even heard some people gorge the fishes belly to see what they have been eating! Someone was also saying I could have more than one fly one the line, which was a new idea to me.

Ricky352

21st Mar 16 at 12:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by ShEp
Was out pike fishing one night last year, and caught a 7lb brown on a spinner, was not expecting it

Biggest trout I've had was about 2 pound, 7 pound must have been a beast!
Ricky352

21st Mar 16 at 12:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by 3CorsaMeal
I have caught trout with a float setup with a slug on the end, just trot it down the river

Always wondered if slugs worked lol. There's an an abundance of worms round my way, which have proven to be successful.

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Fly Fishing Tips? 22 database queries in 0.0111480 seconds