corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » What size tyres with coilovers...

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author What size tyres with coilovers...
kz

User status: Offline
17th Feb 16 at 22:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah so I'm looking to go pretty low on AP coilovers and I'm choosing a wheel and tyre package to go with it. My options are 195/45, 205/55 or 215/55. This is on 16x8 wheels btw.

Now I'm a fan of a lower profile so my instinct is the 195/45s.... but is there any advantage of going bigger? Would love to see comparison pictures if anyone has any
Ian
Site Administrator

18th Feb 16 at 04:01   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ride will be better on the taller ones.

What's the standard wheel width? Might be worth ensuring that you can lower the spring seat past the top of the tyre at the width you want to go. Standard wheel will have the spring seat above it and the damper shaft only to the side.
kz

18th Feb 16 at 21:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm afraid I don't really understand half of what you're saying

I'm getting adjustable top mounts and rear control arms if that helps...
gavin18787
Premium Member

19th Feb 16 at 11:07   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

basically if too big the inner tyre/wheel could rub on the coilover, I had this problem back in the day on my corsa B on spax coilovers.

If the wheels are 8 wide I would have thought you would want 215 for it to be a square fit. Or are you going for the "stretched" tyre look?

Drives supercharged Tec with torque
tom_simes
Show Staff
Organiser: South Wales
Premium Member

19th Feb 16 at 11:19   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Those tyres will look completely different, and will be completely different sizes, massively affecting the speedo. What size tyres are fitted at present?

The 195/45/16 are almost 10% smaller than 215/55 across the whole diameter - they'll look completely different in the arch, and there'll be a 10% change in speedo between them too.
ShEp

19th Feb 16 at 11:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Need to know what sort of car it is, what size of tyres is fitted to it as standard to work anything out
kz

19th Feb 16 at 19:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

These guys are both running 205/45 which look okay...

Hadn't considering stretch... so wider means less of that I guess. Not a massive fan of stretch but I think the above aren't too extreme.
tom_simes
Show Staff
Organiser: South Wales
Premium Member

19th Feb 16 at 20:26   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

But what size tyres are on your car already

[Edited on 19-02-2016 by tom_simes]
kz

20th Feb 16 at 00:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I don't know okay

But basically decided I'll be running the same wheels, same tyres, and same suspension setup as the above car on the same model of car... who had the same standard wheels that I have lol. So, I guess if I'm happy with the above it doesn't matter too much does it

Regarding the speedo, thing, I honestly don't really care. Will it be an MOT fail though? If so I'll the owner of the car above what he did about it.
Ian
Site Administrator

20th Feb 16 at 00:28   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Speedo you can verify with a sat nav, probably will just get it more accurate if the radius is larger. They under-read as standard.

And re my first reply - regular strut -

See how the spring seat is on top of the tyre, tyre size and wheel width can go up as far as you have room there, note also that offset will move the wheel in and out, left to right in that pic.

If you exploit all that space when you fit the coilover you then can't wind it down. It will typically have a smaller spring radius but it still needs accommodating along side the back of the tyre if you want it low.
kz

20th Feb 16 at 12:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm getting it professionally set up for me but thanks for the information! It's good to know what's actually going on I know the guy above had to hack his arches about a bit... fine with me to be honest.
Ian
Site Administrator

21st Feb 16 at 03:09   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah you always have the option to move the wheel outwards with either a lower offset rim or spacers - hence affecting the arch more.
ShEp

21st Feb 16 at 10:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Mini on 16's will be 195/55x16

you will be fine with 205's if you want to fit them, 205/55 is overkill, they wont fit.
Steve
Premium Member

21st Feb 16 at 11:57   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Watch out changing the offset it can alter massively how the car feels to drive, get it wrong and your return to centre on the steering will disappear, and scrub radius will be to cock, makes it feel like its not connected to the road
3CorsaMeal

21st Feb 16 at 14:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah but in real life its always better than before.
kz

21st Feb 16 at 19:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by ShEp
Mini on 16's will be 195/55x16

you will be fine with 205's if you want to fit them, 205/55 is overkill, they wont fit.

I wasn't even given 195/55 as an option from the installer (sent me a load of wheel/tyre packages to look over) so yeah... I think I'll go for 205/45 as I know they will fit

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » What size tyres with coilovers... 23 database queries in 0.0122499 seconds