corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Cant choose between em

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Cant choose between em
SteveoBC
Premium Member

User status: Offline
11th Feb 16 at 15:14   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Still got the next budget track car stuck in my head these last few days

narrowed it down to 2 cars but cant make a decision, so going to let CS put their 2 pence worth in to help me decide, budgets around 1200 or less (but want to get as cheap as i can)

Choices are
Ford Fiesta ST
Ford Puma 1.7

pros/cons as i can see it (correct me if im wrong)

Fiesta ST Pros
150ish bhp
Younger car
Handles well from past experience
like the look of em
engines very reliable if it has full fsh

Fiesta ST Cons
Not many cheap ones about
Even CAT Ds still ask for 1200 or more

Puma Pros
can handle well with right mods (ians was great)
engines usually reliable
Ian has spare bits for days
Much cheaper and more about
15inch wheels mean cheaper tyres

Puma Cons
Rusty arches
little no service history on these cars
25bhp less than the ST
Looks a little uglier than the ST

i really cant make up my mind i like both for different reasons
want a half decent looking track car that will take the abuse around the track and can then drive home again, but needs to be able to make fairly long trips without too many headaches

[Edited on 11-02-2016 by SteveoBC]

[Edited on 12-02-2016 by SteveoBC]

[Edited on 13-02-2016 by SteveoBC]
Ian W

11th Feb 16 at 15:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'll be the first to say it....considered a Clio 172/182?
sc0ott

11th Feb 16 at 15:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If 950 won't even get you a cad D then isn't it fair to say you won't get one with your budget?
SteveoBC
Premium Member

11th Feb 16 at 15:25   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

there is bit of movement on the top end of the scale spose at most £1200
SteveoBC
Premium Member

11th Feb 16 at 15:34   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian W
I'll be the first to say it....considered a Clio 172/182?

not really a fan at all Ian
taylorboosh

11th Feb 16 at 15:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Agree with ian all day long
Ian
Site Administrator

11th Feb 16 at 16:06   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Clio for me may be the better driver's car but they're still loads of money. Same reason I wouldn't have a Fiesta ST.

How are you moving it? See I know I go on about trailers but you really genuinely car turn up not GAF if you have one of those and a cheap car to start with.

Other stuff is more of a worry as it starts to get more expensive.

Also money - £1200 Fiesta or Clio would be completely standard? £1200 Puma would be fairly prepped. And by that I mean a bit of safety gear as well as the obvious massive brakes / proper tyres etc.
SteveoBC
Premium Member

11th Feb 16 at 16:07   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by taylorboosh

lol that as it may be, still really dont like them. Correct me if im wrong but are these not as reliable as the 2 fords mentioned?

plus might be blowing my own trumpet here but they dont seem that fast, not sure if its the guy driving but my old 150bhp corsa used to fly past em (see aournd 9min mark)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COQlgyzf_bg
SteveoBC
Premium Member

11th Feb 16 at 16:13   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian
Clio for me may be the better driver's car but they're still loads of money. Same reason I wouldn't have a Fiesta ST.

How are you moving it? See I know I go on about trailers but you really genuinely car turn up not GAF if you have one of those and a cheap car to start with.

Other stuff is more of a worry as it starts to get more expensive.

Also money - £1200 Fiesta or Clio would be completely standard? £1200 Puma would be fairly prepped. And by that I mean a bit of safety gear as well as the obvious massive brakes / proper tyres etc.

see the prep money towards getting it track ready now pushes me towards pumas again

what do these top out at again? i know yours was a bit strangled last time i drove it

trailers are out of the question, has to be a case of driving it, never did it with the corsa, not going to get one now, dont have a tow vehicle anyway
Ian
Site Administrator

11th Feb 16 at 16:29   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah just meaning the trailer thing is a reason to have a cheaper car you're potentially going to drive harder. That's more difficult to quantify.

You'll struggle to see 110mph at Combe with a standard Puma engine.

All the others inc. your Corsa probably kill that although that figure is out of the Performancebox and not a speedo.
Ben G

11th Feb 16 at 16:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Have to say my 1.7 puma handled better than my mk6 fiesta zetec s and it felt quick aswell.
SteveoBC
Premium Member

11th Feb 16 at 16:36   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian
Yeah just meaning the trailer thing is a reason to have a cheaper car you're potentially going to drive harder. That's more difficult to quantify.

You'll struggle to see 110mph at Combe with a standard Puma engine.

All the others inc. your Corsa probably kill that although that figure is out of the Performancebox and not a speedo.

i suppose its not all about top speed for me, yours handled really well, i had so much fun, even though it was out of puff going up towards quarry corner

suppose there would be the added satisfaction of overtaking a quicker car by brakes/handling rather than grunt
SteveoBC
Premium Member

11th Feb 16 at 16:37   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i cant remember was yours on coilovers Ian? or just a lowering kit?

i think you said yours had a diff aswell?
Ben G

11th Feb 16 at 16:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by SteveoBC
quote:
Originally posted by taylorboosh

lol that as it may be, still really dont like them. Correct me if im wrong but are these not as reliable as the 2 fords mentioned?

plus might be blowing my own trumpet here but they dont seem that fast, not sure if its the guy driving but my old 150bhp corsa used to fly past em (see aournd 9min mark)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COQlgyzf_bg

That video is hardly a fair comparison, considering the clio guy lifted off to let the corsa pass.
SteveoBC
Premium Member

11th Feb 16 at 16:41   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I know Ben, but i did catch him when he was over half a lap in front and i had a passenger on board

you would have thought on a flat out run he would have seen me off?
Ian
Site Administrator

11th Feb 16 at 16:44   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

Cheap coilovers which are a bit bouncy compared to my old one, should have put them on that car but yeah, does the job.

LSD but really I wouldn't be arsed, you do feel a bit of a benefit some places in some conditions but I never really felt the old car was so monsterous on power delivery that the inside wheel needed restraining.

Don't get me wrong - you can tell its there in the wet if you get back on it fairly early but in the dry? I'd struggle to make use of it with a standard engine.
SteveoBC
Premium Member

11th Feb 16 at 16:51   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian
quote:

Cheap coilovers which are a bit bouncy compared to my old one, should have put them on that car but yeah, does the job.

LSD but really I wouldn't be arsed, you do feel a bit of a benefit some places in some conditions but I never really felt the old car was so monsterous on power delivery that the inside wheel needed restraining.

Don't get me wrong - you can tell its there in the wet if you get back on it fairly early but in the dry? I'd struggle to make use of it with a standard engine.

i was hoping you said cheap coilies- felt spot on to me with the ones you have, good to hear about the less needed diff in the dry, saves some pennies there with me not having to get one lol
Ian
Site Administrator

11th Feb 16 at 16:57   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My old one was quicker TBH, this one feels a bit heavier-handed probably down to the wheels and brakes being larger.

If I was doing one from scratch I'd have the Wilwoods off the current car - they're mega, coilovers off the old which were GAZ, possibly downgrade the disc a bit so that 15s fit.

New (light) seats on old (solid) frames so they're lower - get someone who can weld to make you something that replicates the OE floor holes.

[Edited on 11-02-2016 by Ian]
SteveoBC
Premium Member

11th Feb 16 at 17:05   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

felt pretty planted when i was sat in it

spose i best start looking more into pumas then i guess lol

any main things to look out for Ian?
Ian
Site Administrator

11th Feb 16 at 17:20   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Rust underneath and funny noises. Anything other than that you'll be changing.

Oh and don't pay any more than 100 quid
SteveoBC
Premium Member

11th Feb 16 at 17:28   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian
Rust underneath and funny noises. Anything other than that you'll be changing.

Oh and don't pay any more than 100 quid

i will struggle, i know they are cheap but for that i reckon i will get a parts bin on wheels

id say 3/400 is fair for a half decent one
Ian
Site Administrator

11th Feb 16 at 17:33   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The bargains are out there, don't assume because its cheap its shit, there's a lot of good stuff for no money and there's a lot of shit for 300 quid. Will depend on the car when you see it.
Ben G

11th Feb 16 at 17:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Mine was a good shell. Shame it went to the scrapyard for £60
SteveoBC
Premium Member

11th Feb 16 at 17:44   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

being a bit of a hypocrite if im honest

i bought my Corsa for £150 (granted i spent a few more on it but at the time i was on apprentice money and chuffed for the price lol)
SteveoBC
Premium Member

11th Feb 16 at 17:49   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian
The bargains are out there, don't assume because its cheap its shit, there's a lot of good stuff for no money and there's a lot of shit for 300 quid. Will depend on the car when you see it.

Im scouting Cat C/D auctions now lol

whats the difference between a normal 1.7 puma and the "thunder" model i have seen crop up?

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Cant choose between em 22 database queries in 0.0134578 seconds