corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » Lotus Elise 111R *SOLD*

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4    5  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Lotus Elise 111R *SOLD*
Kyle T
Premium Member

User status: Offline
25th Jan 16 at 19:17   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

111S (the older version of my car with a k-series engine) had better looking exhausts IMO:

vs

However, I'm having second thoughts. The aftermarket centre exit ones don't look too bad.

The main priority is noise, this car sounds nowhere near as good as it looks.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Marc

25th Jan 16 at 19:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Go for option C on the tyres.
Kyle T
Premium Member

25th Jan 16 at 19:38   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Marc
Go for option C on the tyres.

Still undecided, a possible option on eBay has come up too.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
BeetleGav

25th Jan 16 at 22:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Kyle T
111S (the older version of my car with a k-series engine) had better looking exhausts IMO:

vs

However, I'm having second thoughts. The aftermarket centre exit ones don't look too bad.

The main priority is noise, this car sounds nowhere near as good as it looks.

Ahyeah Fairenough the older style does look good, but I reckon the right centre exit could look even nicer, centre exhausts are seriously cool IMO
--ToM--

25th Jan 16 at 22:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Needs some illegal sized plates that rear plates nearly as wide as the car lol
Ben G

25th Jan 16 at 23:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I much prefer the older style exhausts. New one is 99.9% invisible!
Kyle T
Premium Member

26th Jan 16 at 09:41   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ben G, since you've painted your soft top about twelve times I guess you're the authority on soft top care.

I want to keep it black, but it's faded in a couple of spots. What product should I be buying?

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
chris_uk
Premium Member

26th Jan 16 at 12:20   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

prefer the older exhaust personally.
Kyle T
Premium Member

26th Jan 16 at 12:27   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No arguments there. Been looking at the Hanger111 Signature exhausts. I can get either another centre exit which sits out a bit more and is less hidden, or the twin exits like the old 111S.

With the twin exits I'd have the extra costs of replacing the grills, but they're not badly priced.

The fad exhausts for these seem to be the Larini and 2bular offerings, I can't remember which way round it goes but one of them is not trackday safe and the other doesn't do the 111S twin exit one for my car, so Hangar111 it is.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Ben G

26th Jan 16 at 12:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Ben G, since you've painted your soft top about twelve times I guess you're the authority on soft top care.

I want to keep it black, but it's faded in a couple of spots. What product should I be buying?

auto finesse do a good rap top cleaner from what I've seen.

You can use renovo's 3 stage cleaner, reviver and protector but it takes a long time to get a decent finish.

Personally, I'd first try the autoglym fabric roof kit which I've used recently on my red roof. Worked well and it gives the fabric some protection, so the water beads on it, like a waxed paintwork finish.
chris_uk
Premium Member

26th Jan 16 at 14:46   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

larini is the loud one
Kyle T
Premium Member

26th Jan 16 at 15:50   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by chris_uk
larini is the loud one

It sounds proper sewing machine, probably the least sporty sounding car I've had and that includes a diesel seat and a 12v corsa with a drilled airbox

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Kyle T
Premium Member

27th Jan 16 at 21:40   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Wiper Arm was a bit minging and rusty, so hammerited it and treated myself to a new wiper blade.

WP_20160127_17_32_51_Pro by Kyle Townend, on Flickr

If I carry on like this, this money pit will spiral out of control.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
tom_simes
Show Staff
Organiser: South Wales
Premium Member

27th Jan 16 at 23:10   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

Kyle, is it a fabric roof, or vinyl (that looks suspicously like fabric) like the S2000 roof is?

If the later, I recommend Aerospace 303 Protectant (linky)

Make sure you apply it very sparingly - do not spray it on, but pour into a little tub and sponge it on gently. Too much and it'll run off in the rain and look crap on the windows!
chris_uk
Premium Member

28th Jan 16 at 01:56   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

They are indeed fabric.
Kyle T
Premium Member

28th Jan 16 at 09:35   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers Tom, I've got some Aerospace stuff already used for trim and engine bay bits etc. Never thought to use it on the roof!

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Kyle T
Premium Member

30th Jan 16 at 14:53   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Done a bit of driving this week, attended my first North Yorkshire Owners Club meeting (NYLOC) and was rather impressed, chairman, treasurer - the works. Not like a tyre kicking session at the local Jap meet that's for sure

Also took the car out last night, nice dry roads but driving this car in the dark is a bit of a headache - all oncoming traffic look like a full beam and it's blinding!

Took it out this morning, within 20miles managed to encounter bone dry sunny roads, horizontal snow, hail, rain and gail force winds - then back to bone dry sunny roads

After the drive, the car needed a clean so quickly blasted it off and took these photos literally 90seconds before a shit load of dark clouds, snow and hail again! Tucked it into the garage about 20seconds before it all came down

WP_20160130_14_19_18_Pro by Kyle Townend, on Flickr

WP_20160130_14_19_27_Pro by Kyle Townend, on Flickr

WP_20160130_14_19_51_Pro by Kyle Townend, on Flickr

Really, really enjoying this car so far. Getting comfortable now with basics like seating position, gear change, etc - and as a result I'm getting a bit more ballsy with it on the road though still within legal limits!

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Darryl H
Organiser: South Central
Premium Member

30th Jan 16 at 15:26   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The Lotus meet sounds very similar to a Porsche GB meet

Nice to see it's getting used

|My Corsa|SC|My Instagram|
BeetleGav

31st Jan 16 at 23:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the low down main beam thing is a right pain! I find myself insulting the drivers as I go past, muttering "twat twat twat" all the way past then I remember I'm sat very low.

I was driving from mine over towards Liverpool in that weather on Saturday, was a bloody nightmare! Everytime I found sunshine again, where I had been 5 seconds prior literally looked like mordoor
Wrighty

1st Feb 16 at 00:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Really nice, i like the clean rear end and much prefer it to the older one you've posted.
Kyle T
Premium Member

1st Feb 16 at 08:13   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Wrighty
Really nice, i like the clean rear end and much prefer it to the older one you've posted.

Ta, it's funny that. I've been under the car a fair bit this weekend (more on that later) and I'm having second thoughts about the two exit jobby, as there's a lot of heat shielding and stuff in the way.

The Aftermarket options for the centre location do look a bit better than standard, with much less hassle to fit...

Capture by Kyle Townend, on Flickr

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Simon_16v

1st Feb 16 at 08:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just looks a bit 'stuck on' and an after thought to the 111S exhaust?
Kyle T
Premium Member

1st Feb 16 at 08:50   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I can only assume there was an engineering reason for switching the position. All the Toyota ones have come down through the diffuser as far as I'm aware. The engines may just be packaged in such a way that this is easier/lighter/safer/whatever.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Kyle T
Premium Member

3rd Feb 16 at 19:41   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As the car only came with the one key, I've been looking at options for a spare.

The key that I did get was just a plain old key, with a Cobra ballbag dongle on it. I did some research and ended up buying the following:

- Spare Cobra ballbag
- A blank generic key with similar internal layout to the Cobra ballbag.

The ballbag arrived first, so I had to programme it.

The steps are as follows:

1) Press and hold both buttons on ALL of the ballbags you want to programme. After being held for 10secs, their LED will hold on solid.

2) Turn ignition on/off three times within 10secs. The tacho gearchange light will remain on solid for a few seconds, then it'll go off.

3) Turn the ignition to on, the gearchange light will flash. You need to let it flash the number of times to reflect that digit of the pin code for your alarm.

4) Repeat for digits 2, 3 and 4.

5) Press the unlock button on each ballbag, done.

That was the procedure, but I didn't have the PIN for my alarm! Went through all the docs, no sign of it anywhere

Bit more googling suggested an idea, basically the gearchange light reacts differently if you get a digit right or wrong - a tell tale if you like. That meant that you can effectively guess your PIN by going through all the options

Considering it "locks" your alarm for 10mins each time you get it wrong three times in a row... it took me about 6 hours to hack my alarm

I was very, very satisfied once done though - spare ballbag done!

Next up the key arrived, pretty easy task of splitting it and transferring the internals of my ballbag.

Here's what I started out with:

WP_20160203_17_27_09_Pro by Kyle Townend, on Flickr

And finished with...

WP_20160203_17_40_40_Pro by Kyle Townend, on Flickr

It works well, and was pretty cheap as far as replacement keys goes. Just need to get Timpsons to cut the blank and jobs a good un'.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Kyle T
Premium Member

4th Feb 16 at 21:18   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've had the car on axle stands all of this week, mainly just to have a look around - check out all the gubbins and do a bit of cleaning

Oh, and I also bought some new wheels which are due tomorrow so I've kept the car up on stands till they arrive. More on that tomorrow

While up on stands, I did a bit of cleaning up and attacked the calipers with good old' hammerite. Don't panic, they're not red - or worse, blue.

Before:
WP_20160131_13_19_43_Pro by Kyle Townend, on Flickr
After:
WP_20160131_15_05_08_Pro by Kyle Townend, on Flickr

See the state of the wishbones and track rod end? Can't wait to get those refurbed, probably next winter.

Next up I ripped out my arch liner on the rear passenger wheel well so I could have a look at my airbox. Car had been "serviced" the week I collected it, I guess the air filter wasn't changed...

WP_20160131_14_17_49_Pro by Kyle Townend, on Flickr

Anyway, I want the car to make some more noise - but don't want to spend out on exhaust yet... so went for a cheap option.

I bought a TRD airbox which came on some of the later Exige cars I believe. It's basically got a bigger inlet, bigger panel filter and does away with the acoustic snorkle thingy.

Factory box with snorkle:
WP_20160131_14_09_26_Pro by Kyle Townend, on Flickr

The cover off, this is the part I'll be replacing:
WP_20160131_15_04_46_Pro by Kyle Townend, on Flickr

With...

WP_20160203_17_26_16_Pro by Kyle Townend, on Flickr

Filter differences:
WP_20160203_17_44_36_Pro by Kyle Townend, on Flickr

WP_20160203_17_51_46_Pro by Kyle Townend, on Flickr

Getting it back in was a bit of a pig, I had to bend the bracket for it to make it fit - and then it was a case of forcing about 9 things into specific positions at the same time. Felt very similar to the good old days of refitting the TMIC on the Subaru, pain in the arse!

From the engine bay, just a capped off vacuum port which is no longer needed:

WP_20160203_19_04_43_Pro by Kyle Townend, on Flickr

I've not actually started the car yet, but apparently should expect a tiny volume increase (mainly due to snorkle removal) on idle and low revs, but a much more eventful cam-change soundtrack. I'll record a quick ride out at the weekend hopefully

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi

<<  1    2    3    4    5  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » Lotus Elise 111R *SOLD* 24 database queries in 0.1926489 seconds