corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Paying for a car in a private sale via online transfer, yay or nay???

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Paying for a car in a private sale via online transfer, yay or nay???
gavin18787
Premium Member

User status: Offline
8th Nov 15 at 14:40   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Put a deposit on a new motor today. All good with no problems. When I go to collect the car I asked the seller what would be easiest and he said online banking transfer would work well.
Is this a safe way to do it? Car is in his name registered to his house that I have viewed the car at which also matches the bank details. Only difference is its a joint account with his wife.
Cash is the other option but I don't fancy a train journey with 13k cash

Drives supercharged Tec with torque
RichRu

8th Nov 15 at 14:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Bank transfer is the safest way to do it especially for 13k
gavin18787
Premium Member

8th Nov 15 at 14:43   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

as in regular online transfer or some different way? may go into natwest tomorow and ask

nibnob21
Premium Member

8th Nov 15 at 14:48   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I bought a car recently and did it through online bank transfer, granted it wasn't £13,000.

Offer to pay x amount, fill out all the details on the V5 and go with them to a post box then pay the rest, if you feel uneasy about it.

MX5 Project Thread
oJNAo
Premium Member

8th Nov 15 at 14:48   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

PayPal friends or family
taylorboosh

8th Nov 15 at 15:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if your worried just transfer whilst there and wait 2 hours
VegasPhil
Premium Member

8th Nov 15 at 15:28   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I did mine last week by online banking. I set up and paid £50 to test in the morning. Transferred instantly as a faster payment.

Then went over, paid the £8500 or whatever on my iPad via online banking. He went in the money was already showing in his bank. I got the keys and off I went!

Mine was Halifax to Santander

Easiest ever!

[Edited on 08-11-2015 by VegasPhil]

Corsa 2.0 16v Vegas - Sold
tom_simes
Show Staff
Organiser: South Wales
Premium Member

8th Nov 15 at 15:58   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Did that selling the S2000 recently. Seller sent me £1 the night before to set up a payment between the accounts, then transferred the remaining ~£9k when he got here and drove off with the car.
andys sxi
Premium Member

8th Nov 15 at 16:09   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Do some bank accounts have a limit of what you can transfer over internet banking? Might be worth checking

April 08 feature car
gazza808

8th Nov 15 at 16:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Did the same when I bought a car, stood there and did it via my online banking, he was on his literally as I sent it, he hit refresh and it was there.

[Edited on 08-11-2015 by gazza808]
Ian W

8th Nov 15 at 17:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Did it when I bought the Corsa, bank transfer then waited for the car on a transporter

Granted it was only 10% of your amount
Toby
Premium Member

8th Nov 15 at 17:09   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Bought and sold my megane via transfers there and then. Even paid via transfer for the m3 to a Mercedes dealership. Called accounts, monies landed and away I went.
taylorboosh

8th Nov 15 at 17:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Lad who bought my evo paid via transfer which took 2 hours lol he asked to leave with car and i said no until cash is in account.

Offered him tea but he couldnt eat it as it wasnt halal. He prayed in my dining room as i ate mcdonals then he sat and chatted to me for an hour about cars and shit
gavin18787
Premium Member

8th Nov 15 at 18:01   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Good idea on the test amount. If its instant i may do as you say and do it there.
Ok been a joint account that differs slightly the the v5 name?

tom_simes
Show Staff
Premium Member

8th Nov 15 at 18:22   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I see no problems, just get the seller to write a full receipt and as long as you leave with the keys and a V5/2 in your name then happy days!
big eck

8th Nov 15 at 19:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Why don't you just both go to the bank together when you go to get the car?? Safest way possible. That's what I done when I bought the Cupra.
Generation

8th Nov 15 at 21:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Lot of banks are 10k Max per day online .
Seen it done hundreds of times when I used to work at HSBC

[Edited on 08-11-2015 by Generation]
gavin18787
Premium Member

8th Nov 15 at 22:03   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Il check with the bank tomorow to be safe

Generation

8th Nov 15 at 23:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ok, thanks everybody for helping
DaveyLC

9th Nov 15 at 08:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As mentioned above a regular Bank transfer is completely fine, make sure the seller puts the reg number as the reference...

If you want to be some kind of paranoid anal prick you could suggest you both use a Escrow service.
DaveyLC

9th Nov 15 at 08:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

BTW the MOST important thing is to spend money on a decent warrantied HPI check..
nathy_87

9th Nov 15 at 09:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by andys sxi
Do some bank accounts have a limit of what you can transfer over internet banking? Might be worth checking

That's a good point, my bank stopped £3k going out once, took a while to rectify that it was a genuine transfer.

[Edited on 09-11-2015 by nathy_87]
deano87

9th Nov 15 at 09:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Think the limit is £10k for Faster Payment, i.e. in their account instantly. Anything else could take 3 days I believe.

You can set up payments over that for a fee, but not sure if it is timed, rather than you doing it via app.
tom_simes
Show Staff
Premium Member

9th Nov 15 at 10:16   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by DaveyLC
As mentioned above a regular Bank transfer is completely fine, make sure the seller puts the reg number as the reference...

The seller can't do that - the buyer is the one that sets up the transfer?
quote:
Originally posted by DaveyLC
BTW the MOST important thing is to spend money on a decent warrantied HPI check..

Whole-heartedly agree with this. Quidco also gives cashback on some (direct from HPI, I think).
AndyCorsaSport

9th Nov 15 at 10:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Guy I sold my 106 GTi to paid by bank transfer. Paid me £100 deposit, came a week later. I picked him up from train station, went to mine, did the £2800 transfer, I was going out for a family meal so off he went in the car. It came through a couple of hours later.

<<  1    2    3  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Paying for a car in a private sale via online transfer, yay or nay??? 23 database queries in 0.1117179 seconds