corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » House Day » Lean To / Porch

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Lean To / Porch
dannymccann

User status: Offline
19th Sep 15 at 07:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Need a couple of square meters for keeping the buggy, coats and shoes etc and porch would be ideal. Here's what the front currently looks like

Would want it to go here, up to the edge of the slabs (basically the gas meter on the floor would be outside the porch) on the right and where my motorbike anchor is at the front, it's about 1.5x2m

Obviously the leccy meter is there and there is a weird 'inspection chamber' on the floor (the black square) but I wasnt really planning on putting indoor tiles down or anything, it is literally going to be a front storage area with one of those conservatory plastic roofs, basically a dry space for storing 'outside stuff'.

As you can see, access to the rear of the property from the front is not possible otherwise I would just stick it on the back.

Is this sort of thing possible without planning and if so is it literally as easy as getting someone in to screw a PVC structure to the front, stick a roof on and some glass in?

[Edited on 19-09-2015 by dannymccann]
Aaron

19th Sep 15 at 15:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It looks like a relativity new building, so i wonder if there will be any sort of rules/covenants stopping you from drastically altering the front exterior.

From an outsiders point of view, i dont like it when someone goes and sticks a porch on the front of a row of neat looking connected properties...i think it spoils the uniformed look. But that's just my opinion of course.

Did you buy the property from new? If so, i suspect that there will be some information in the docs you signed to buy it (even if you bought it non new tbh)
dannymccann

19th Sep 15 at 17:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yea first owners march 2010. I totally get your point of view... However these newbuild houses come with no inside storage whatsoever. The single buggy fits in the cloakroom now but the double buggy we need in a few weeks won't and it isn't the sort of thing you can just wheel in the house thanks to the layout and the kiddie gate on the internal doors. Having no garage or rear access is a complete arse!
VegasPhil
Premium Member

19th Sep 15 at 19:33   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Mind the covenants, warranty/nhbc, fucking off the neighbours etc. I'd be quite surprised if you can make changes like that after 5 years.

Corsa 2.0 16v Vegas - Sold
AndyKent

19th Sep 15 at 21:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Would need planning permission for any work on the front of the property
dannymccann

19th Sep 15 at 21:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Bugger, looks like the boot of the car will become the extension then
Rob_Quads

21st Sep 15 at 17:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by AndyKent

Why, as long as it meets the following its permitted development

1. Ground area of the porch, measured externally, not to exceed three square metres.
2. Highest part of the porch not to exceed three metres.
3. No part of the porch to be within two metres of any boundary that fronts a highway.

You might not be allowed due to a local covenant etc but not planning permission. Most new builds do have some forms of covenants for 5 or even 10 years depending on what you want to do.
DaveyLC

21st Sep 15 at 17:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Rob_Quads
quote:
Originally posted by AndyKent

Why, as long as it meets the following its permitted development

1. Ground area of the porch, measured externally, not to exceed three square metres.
2. Highest part of the porch not to exceed three metres.
3. No part of the porch to be within two metres of any boundary that fronts a highway.

You might not be allowed due to a local covenant etc but not planning permission. Most new builds do have some forms of covenants for 5 or even 10 years depending on what you want to do.

As above In the eyes of your local planning department you can build a porch within permitted development HOWEVER you should check your deed first for any covenant that may prevent you from altering the street facing elevation of your house.

[Edited on 21-09-2015 by DaveyLC]
Marc

21st Sep 15 at 18:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My parents bought their house new and it stated that they were not allowed to have a wall, fence or hedge across the front for so many years. You might have something similar in place.
Graham88

21st Sep 15 at 22:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I want to do similar for the same reason. I hope you can do it so I can watch your progress :-)
dannymccann

4th Oct 15 at 11:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

In fairness Graham I am well known for wanting to do these things then find out how much it is and start putting a fight up with the wife so it could be some time yet

However, the above discussion is very encouraging - I've got a new baby on the way next week so it's going to get parked until at least next year anyway, and need to pour over the deed for the above info anyway...
Graham88

5th Oct 15 at 13:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah I've just had a little one so all projects are on hold too lol

New Poll