corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » House Day » Buying first house

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Buying first house
nibnob21
Premium Member

User status: Offline
10th Sep 15 at 18:35   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm also in the process of buying a house, but not a new build because I don't like paying a premium for a generic house. Thought I'd share my cool story as it seems to be the 'in' thing right now.

Our sellers are being bellends though.

MX5 Project Thread
Ben G

10th Sep 15 at 18:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Old houses cost a fortune to put right the retarded previous owners wrongs though

Mine was built in 1995 and I can't believe some of the stuff the prick done. Proper bodge job billy.
whitter45

10th Sep 15 at 19:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Congratulations, best thing you will do

Can't beat the feeling of getting keys to your first house

Remember the day like yesterday
--ToM--

10th Sep 15 at 19:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Id rather have an old house than a new build myself have you seen the way they throw them up? Old houses are a lot better built but as said by Ben it's the idiots who have decorated them previously that can be a pain
nibnob21
Premium Member

10th Sep 15 at 19:48   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's a 30s semi. Built bloody solid but no cavity wall insulation.

To be fair to the current owners they've done a good job with it. It's in good condition and the quality of the interior is pretty good. Certainly one we can move in to and not have to worry about redecorating for a while.

For me the important things are garage, garden and good kitchen. Ticks all those boxes.

Just need them to stop fannying about and get the fuck out now. Been going on since April

MX5 Project Thread
MarkM

10th Sep 15 at 20:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I bought a new build and it hasn't fallen down yet?
nibnob21
Premium Member

10th Sep 15 at 21:18   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm Ron Burgundy?

MX5 Project Thread
Neo

11th Sep 15 at 08:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm in the process of buying an old house, so much more space for the money than all the new builds we looked at.

Offer was accepted last week of July and want to be in before November, not sure how likely that's looking at the moment though.
tom130691
Premium Member

11th Sep 15 at 09:46   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I liked the fact most new builds have en-suit's alot of the older houses dont,

MarkM

11th Sep 15 at 12:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Neo
I'm in the process of buying an old house, so much more space for the money than all the new builds we looked at.

Offer was accepted last week of July and want to be in before November, not sure how likely that's looking at the moment though.

Being small isn't a prerequisite of a new build.
nibnob21
Premium Member

11th Sep 15 at 15:06   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

But pound for pound they tend to be smaller.

MX5 Project Thread
nibnob21
Premium Member

11th Sep 15 at 15:08   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by tom130691
I liked the fact most new builds have en-suit's alot of the older houses dont,

Only me and my girlfriend, so out bathroom would basically be an en suite anyway.

Plus this place has lots of extension potential, so we could always consider that sort of thing further down the line.

MX5 Project Thread
Neo

11th Sep 15 at 15:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by MarkM
quote:
Originally posted by Neo

Being small isn't a prerequisite of a new build.

No but for for the amount I've spent, we have got a larger place than we could have got from a new build.

Example's, smaller and over 40k more in the same area

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/new-homes-for-sale/property-34622442.html

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/new-homes-for-sale/property-36198762.html

[Edited on 11-09-2015 by Neo]
nibnob21
Premium Member

11th Sep 15 at 18:04   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

AAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRGGGGGGGHHHHHHHH they really are being utter cunts. Stressed.

On the verge of it falling through. Fucking fuckers can just fuck off and choke on a million dicks.

MX5 Project Thread
VegasPhil
Premium Member

12th Sep 15 at 10:09   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What's the problem?

Corsa 2.0 16v Vegas - Sold
nibnob21
Premium Member

12th Sep 15 at 11:59   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

We've been bending over backwards for them when a couple of their purchases have fallen through. They promised they'd look for somewhere to rent and we were about to exchange contracts with a deferred completion date. They've now had an offer accepted on another property and now aren't willing to exchange with us yet, but the rental place we're in is up for sale so it's a timebomb before we HAVE to be out.

They've just been complete pussies from the start and haven't been willing to follow through on any of their promises. Driving me mad.

MX5 Project Thread
nibnob21
Premium Member

24th Sep 15 at 16:00   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

They've been convinced it's reasonable that if we're left out of pocket through their third attempt at an onward purchase taking ages then it's coming off our offer.

Should give them an added incentive to pull their finger out and get us in for November.

MX5 Project Thread
VegasPhil
Premium Member

24th Sep 15 at 18:29   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

They kind of have you by the short and curlys. You are hundreds out of pocket both if you pull out and find something else or if you wait.

I expect it will be worth it. You might as well put some pressure on the agent. No doubt they think the sellers are being cunts too.

Could try to put the shits into them. You might be able to use the mortgage offer expiring excuse to create some leverage or book to view some other properties and make sure they know you are doing so.

Corsa 2.0 16v Vegas - Sold
nibnob21
Premium Member

24th Sep 15 at 18:58   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by VegasPhil
They kind of have you by the short and curlys. You are hundreds out of pocket both if you pull out and find something else or if you wait.

I expect it will be worth it. You might as well put some pressure on the agent. No doubt they think the sellers are being cunts too.

Could try to put the shits into them. You might be able to use the mortgage offer expiring excuse to create some leverage or book to view some other properties and make sure they know you are doing so.

Yeah it's very frustrating. We have been keeping an eye out at other places throughout, but there just simply hasn't been anything else that ticks the boxes this place does...which makes it more frustrating haha.

Agent is firmly on our side which is good. They think we've been incredibly fair and patient and it was their extra pressure on the sellers that got them to see that too.

Sellers know that if we have to reapply for our mortgage and have to move into another rented accommodation then all expenses will be coming off the offer. So they should have plenty of motivation to crack on.

MX5 Project Thread
nibnob21
Premium Member

16th Oct 15 at 16:25   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Update: their onward purchase has progressed well and we should be in a position to FINALLY exchange next week. Sending loads of money across to the solicitors this evening! :s Won't be able to complete for a few more weeks though I don't think.

MX5 Project Thread
nibnob21
Premium Member

21st Oct 15 at 16:11   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Contracts exchanged today. Should be moving on either 11th or 12th of November. 3 weeks!

MX5 Project Thread
nibnob21
Premium Member

11th Nov 15 at 22:34   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Got the keys today

MX5 Project Thread
Cavey

11th Nov 15 at 22:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

exciting!
nibnob21
Premium Member

6th Dec 15 at 10:56   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Been in for a few weeks now. Very happy with it.

Obviously I've got my priorities right and started with sorting the garage. I don't have a before picture but it was a bit of a state. Absolutely filthy in there and had some old kitchen units left behind.

Swept it all out and took the units to the tip. Looking much better now.

Pressure washing is fun.

Then gave the walls a quick lick of white. The floor will be getting a coating of this stuff http://www.floorpaintexpress.co.uk/garacoat-garage-floor-kit.html but it'll have to wait until next year when it's a bit warmer. It won't set properly in this weather unfortunately.

MX5 Project Thread

New Poll