corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » PC EPOS alternative

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author PC EPOS alternative
R Lee

User status: Offline
17th Jul 15 at 11:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have a takeaway and I want to change my current EPOS system in the future.
At the moment, I am running 2 touchscreen PCs with windows XP and a piece of software that handles the ordering side (same as McDonald's, KFC, etc). These machines cost a bomb to replace so...

What other alternatives do you think would be suitable?
Ideally, I'd like to slim everything down. Is there anything in the form of a tablet that could handle it?
Raspberry pi?
Do you reckon an average person (myself) would be able to build something custom to suit?
Software easy enough?

Sorry if everything is a bit vague. Just getting the ball rolling
Neo

17th Jul 15 at 13:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Loads of epos solutions, most will run on anything and you can just buy a touchscreen. Stuck a system in at a school a while back that uses a couple of dell aio machines that were about £400 each. The epos company were trying to sell their stupid touchscreen machine for about a grand each iirc.
DaveyLC

17th Jul 15 at 13:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I believe there are a few hosted ones around, that way you can use any old tablets browser
pow
Premium Member

17th Jul 15 at 14:24   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm building a meal ordering system for my school at the moment that's all sql and php based so it'll run on anything... It's not proving easy but meh. The other solution is to buy a pc like a Dell 3030 that are touchscreen for like £400 instead of the stupid tills and run the software on that.
willay
Organiser: South East, National Events
Premium Member

17th Jul 15 at 14:44   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Why do the machines cost so much to replace? do you have a model number to check you arent being spanked?

Does it control a cash drawer too?

Generally the machines are made up of normal hardware and then a large margin.

Fuck building any system by yourself, you need something thats going to work 24/7 and not a home project that will drive you nuts. - thats regarding software btw, hardware can be a little different.

[Edited on 17-07-2015 by willay]
willay
Premium Member

17th Jul 15 at 14:46   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by DaveyLC
I believe there are a few hosted ones around, that way you can use any old tablets browser

Yep they have been doing the hosted ones for a while now, I wasnt convinced back when I saw them but they do serve a purpose. If you do go down this route I would suggest ensuring you have redundant internet connectivity
Dom

17th Jul 15 at 15:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Plenty of tablet orientated/hosted EPOS solutions around - Oddo, Good Till, Vend, Shopify, MyCart.

But i'm not sure a hosted EPOS solution is that great of an idea considering the monthly costs, hardware costs (more so if you go down the iOS route) and on top of those you have the issues of being internet reliant.

With a standalone solution, majority of the cash is for the software and (any) support; you can pick up the hardware quite cheaply.

What's the reason for change anyway? Or are you after new features/functionality?

quote:
Originally posted by willay
Fuck building any system by yourself...

This times a billion!

[Edited on 17-07-2015 by Dom]
pow
Premium Member

17th Jul 15 at 15:48   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thanks for the vote of confidence guys
willay
Premium Member

17th Jul 15 at 16:04   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

better spending your time on other things imo
Andrew

17th Jul 15 at 16:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by pow
I'm building a meal ordering system for my school at the moment that's all sql and php based so it'll run on anything...

You have way too much time on your hands

Bit of a challenge mind!
Neo

17th Jul 15 at 17:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Unless it's massively unique, why reinvent the wheel. Surely school systems like Cunningham's have all the functionality you'd need Dave linking to ipay and doing allowances, free meals, biometrics etc
Richie

17th Jul 15 at 18:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://www.unicentaopos.co.uk/ is something you might want to look at. Can trigger all sorts, can use barcode scanners, scales, cash drawers ect. Will export to things like Sage too.
R Lee

17th Jul 15 at 19:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dom
Plenty of tablet orientated/hosted EPOS solutions around - Oddo, Good Till, Vend, Shopify, MyCart.

But i'm not sure a hosted EPOS solution is that great of an idea considering the monthly costs, hardware costs (more so if you go down the iOS route) and on top of those you have the issues of being internet reliant.

With a standalone solution, majority of the cash is for the software and (any) support; you can pick up the hardware quite cheaply.

What's the reason for change anyway? Or are you after new features/functionality?

quote:
Originally posted by willay
Fuck building any system by yourself...

This times a billion!

[Edited on 17-07-2015 by Dom]

Being in this trade for a number of years, The main reason is future proofing myself.
With limited options a few years back, I had no choice but to pay £1300+ for each.
The systems I use now are currently doing fine, with the exceptions of really hot days, which causes a major melt down during busy periods.
The software, although capable at the moment, isn't the slickest.
I don't think I'll end up building one, because I'm too busy, and mainly lack the knowledge

Do any of you guys have any experience with software? How is it tailored to your menu?

If I use a tablet, how would it connect to the cash drawer and printer?
Richie

17th Jul 15 at 21:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Plenty of options there. DK Aircash wireless bridges allow you to use conventional RJ11 drawers over wifi/bluetooth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJkKnqr3Pss

Same goes for wifi/bluetooth POS printers.

But you can do it cheaper with a PC to hook it all up to per machine. RJ11 to USB converters are about £10 ect.
pow
Premium Member

19th Jul 15 at 18:29   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Neo
Unless it's massively unique, why reinvent the wheel. Surely school systems like Cunningham's have all the functionality you'd need Dave linking to ipay and doing allowances, free meals, biometrics etc

Because 80% of them are shoddy as fuck and the other 20% don't do all that I want!

New Poll