corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Stopped a young lad jumping off a bridge last night.

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Stopped a young lad jumping off a bridge last night.
DaveyLC

User status: Offline
   14th Jul 15 at 08:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It didn't really hit me until this morning how serious this was

My misses made a frantic phone call to me last night while she was driving home from work, she had seen a lad leaning over a motor-way bridge near where we live and she was really worried about him; I explained he's probably just messing about but she insisted we go and check that he was ok.

When we got there he was on the other side of the barriers and he was looking down at the on-coming cars, he had his earphones in and he was completely away with the fairies, he hadn't even noticed we had showed-up.

Gemma jumped out of the car and grab his arm and my first thought was "shit, she's pregnant and if you pull her over the edge I'll be the one on the bridge!" so I grabbed the lad and he immediately tried to jump by pushing away from the bridge and dangling his feet! but I was stronger than him and managed to wrestle him back over the barrier and onto the road.

I span him around and my first instinct was to tell him how stupid his actions were and then even though I have no fucking clue who is or what was wrong I gave him a hug and told him life really isn't that shit!

A few people had showed up by this point and were flapping about phoning the police so we sat with him and chatted until they arrived.

He didn't want to talk about what was wrong but it breaks my heart that a 17 year old lad who hasn't even lived yet can decide that life is so bad already!

IvIarkgraham
Premium Member

14th Jul 15 at 08:45   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

off day?

should have pushed him
Kippers

14th Jul 15 at 09:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well done but you are so lucky he didnt jump. I have colleagues who have done exactly the same as you and they havent quite managed to grab them and they've fallen. Messed them up for a long time.

Best action is dont approach and just chat and wait for Police to turn up. They are trained for this.
DaveyLC

14th Jul 15 at 09:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The way I see it, its a catch 22 situation, if you try and talk him down and he jumps you'll have to live with wondering what would happen if you had grabbed him..

Thankfully he was a slender chap, if he was bigger I would have tried to talk to him.

The fact he was wearing an unzipped jacket had me worried to as I knew if I grabbed just his jacket he could still jump.

I think there were seconds between me leaving the car and grabbing him but it felt like an eternity because so many thoughts went through my mind.
Kippers

14th Jul 15 at 10:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You did well mate.. something to be proud of... i think a lot of people would have just driven past and pointed.

I had exactly the same situation as you last year but a middle aged lady on a bridge over the M20 but thankfully that had the same outcome as yours.

You wont believe how many people take to bridges to jump or stand in front of trains or take overdoses. Worst thing ive ever been to is a man who killed himself by standing on a train crossing.

[Edited on 14-07-2015 by Kippers]
Generation

14th Jul 15 at 10:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you post this on Facebook, you'll get lots of likes
DaveyLC

14th Jul 15 at 10:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Kippers

I had exactly the same situation as you last year but a middle aged lady on a bridge over the M20 but thankfully that had the same outcome as yours.

[Edited on 14-07-2015 by Kippers]

Good job buddy!

I've never really experience Depression first hand so I find it very hard to understand why people do these things!

We wrote a note and asked the police to pass it on, I hope he gets in touch so we can find out if he's ok.
DaveyLC

14th Jul 15 at 10:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Generation
If you post this on Facebook, you'll get lots of likes

I would write something on FB as I do treat FB like a journal but FB is not a very 'private' place, he was a local lad so no doubt someone I know will know of him and I think it would be inappropriate
Jason x
Premium Member

14th Jul 15 at 10:16   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Selfish and inconsiderate way of killing yourself, if you are serious about it why not just hang yourself.

Why should someone else be brought into it, potentially ruining someone else's life in the process of taking your own. Not to mention the damage caused to someone's vehicle.

That being said, good job. You saved someone's vehicle.

[Edited on 14-07-2015 by Jason x]
nathy_87

14th Jul 15 at 10:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Jason x
Selfish and inconsiderate way of killing yourself, if you are serious about it why not just hang yourself.

Why should someone else be brought into it, potentially ruining someone else's life in the process of taking your own. Not to mention the damage caused to someone's vechile.

here we go.

That's a very brave decision you made Davey. Like to think I had the guts to do something like this for someone, some day.
Kippers

14th Jul 15 at 10:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Read this.

http://www.kentonline.co.uk/canterbury/news/person-hit-by-train-on-38641/

Woman on a bridge over train tracks jumps.. guy goes to save her and he gets killed and she survives.
DaveyLC

14th Jul 15 at 10:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by nathy_87
That's a very brave decision you made Davey. Like to think I had the guts to do something like this for someone, some day.

To be honest I like to hope most people would at least stop and try and help, the number of people who simply drove past makes me a bit sad.

quote:
Originally posted by Kippers
Read this.

http://www.kentonline.co.uk/canterbury/news/person-hit-by-train-on-38641/

Woman on a bridge over train tracks jumps.. guy goes to save her and he gets killed and she survives.

Nasty!

My old dear witness someone being hit by a train too.
johnny86
Premium Member

14th Jul 15 at 10:42   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well done mate. Top bloke.
DaveyLC

14th Jul 15 at 10:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers
Brett
Premium Member

14th Jul 15 at 10:52   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

Why should someone else be brought into it, potentially ruining someone else's life in the process of taking your own. Not to mention the damage caused to someone's vehicle.

Spot on tbh
Generation

14th Jul 15 at 11:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Magee and disagree. If you're in that state, you obviously are thinking rational.

Hanging yourself also brings others into it too, whether it's at home and your partners/family imagine walking in and seeing you hanging from the ceiling. Or if it's somewhere random and a passer by sees you
--ToM--

14th Jul 15 at 11:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

AndyCorsaSport

14th Jul 15 at 11:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Brett
quote:

Spot on tbh

Agree with this. Happened a few week ago on the motorway near me. Bloke I know drove past as the body was covered and seen a woman who must have witnessed it in floods of tears. That will affect her for ever and she didn't even know the guy.

Hangings just as bad tbh, my mum got a call off a friend a few years back in tears as she had found her husband hanging. My mum rushed round with a work colleague and helped get him down but he was dead. He did that because his wife was having an affair! That will be with her forever.

If you want to do it, eat a load of tablets or drink bleach or something.
Gary
Premium Member

14th Jul 15 at 11:17   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hats off to you but the mrs would have got a slap for been so stupid.
Generation

14th Jul 15 at 11:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Don't wear hats tbh
LukesCorsaSXi

14th Jul 15 at 11:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Top lad. Very brave of you. I have no idea what i'd do in that situation.
Steve
Premium Member

14th Jul 15 at 11:32   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Was it Johnny86?
johnny86
Premium Member

14th Jul 15 at 11:42   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Steve
Was it Johnny86?

No it wasn't me but thanks for your concern.

I do suffer with depression and I feel for the kid. I have contemplated it too.

FlaFFy_91
Premium Member

14th Jul 15 at 11:50   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Generation
Don't wear hats tbh

You used to get properly annoyed when people filled your threads with shit.
Now it's you that fills them with shit.
Irony.

As for the whole thread, good on you for doing something. Most people wouldn't. Should of given the kid a fucking slap after you saved him though.
Agree with a few people on here it's a selfish way to go.
Imagine being that guy who's car he hit? Would fuck you up big time.
Think suicide in general is quite a selfish act. And I know I'm going to get flamed for that statement too
Ojc

14th Jul 15 at 12:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Where was that?

<<  1    2    3    4  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Stopped a young lad jumping off a bridge last night. 22 database queries in 0.0147941 seconds