corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » dvla tax refund cheque?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author dvla tax refund cheque?
jamjar15

User status: Offline
15th Jun 15 at 11:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Recieved a cheque from the dvla back in april after I sold my corsa with a note saying it was for a tax refund, so as it was the first car I sold after the new system I figured sounds about right and cashed it as normal.

Now I recieved a letter today saying they sent it in error and can I pay it back in 7 days or they MAY take legal action.

from the sounds of it, it seems like its their mistake and are just hoping I pay them back as its not my fault, or am I in the wrong?
Mike
Organiser: North West and North Wales
Premium Member

15th Jun 15 at 11:46   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Do you know how much tax was left when you sold it?

Sent in error could mean you either weren't due a refund, if there was less than a full month left, or it was for the wrong amount. That's the first thing to try and work out. Obviously you don't want to be giving them your money if they've in fact sent the letter 'in error'.
jamjar15

15th Jun 15 at 13:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah think there was only about two months left, so I was due a refund but not sure how much, they gave me 79.85), was a 1998 1.0 12v btw
johnny86
Premium Member

15th Jun 15 at 13:13   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Do they send these automatically?
Generation

15th Jun 15 at 13:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

£80 for two months remaining on a 1.0 is obviously wrong

[Edited on 15-06-2015 by Generation]
DaveyLC

15th Jun 15 at 13:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Were any of the letters sent by recorded delivery? If NOT Cash it.. See what happens..
jamjar15

15th Jun 15 at 13:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah I only paid about 126 a year iirc so 80 seems a really random number, wasnt sent recorded, cashed it back about two months ago, are they expecting me to pay it back out of the goodness of my heart or am I legally bound to do so?
DaveyLC

15th Jun 15 at 13:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I doubt they can do fuck all legally..
Generation

15th Jun 15 at 14:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Can only pay in, not cash it.
Soon as ifs in there it can be identified by its serial number. As you can only payninto account holders bank, there's no denying that you've had it
Y869 SRA

15th Jun 15 at 14:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Think I got around £60 back after Sorning my 1999 206 GTi 138. Had 4 months tax left on.
jamjar15

15th Jun 15 at 14:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If they ask im not going to deny I had the money, just not really in a position to be giving money away if theres no consequences
DaveyLC

15th Jun 15 at 14:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by jamjar15
If they ask im not going to deny I had the money, just not really in a position to be giving money away if theres no consequences

You're better off denying knowing anything about it other than receiving a cheque which you promptly cashed.
Ben G

15th Jun 15 at 14:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Who's to say you actually received the letter asking for the money back?

£80 for two months tax is clearly wrong, so why didn't you query it at the time?
jamjar15

15th Jun 15 at 16:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Didnt promptly cash it, waited 3 weeks for them to realise as i figured thats a fair amount of time, didnt think to wait 3 months lol
Ben G

15th Jun 15 at 16:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Do you not own a phone?
Generation

15th Jun 15 at 16:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ffs YOU CAN'T CASH IT. It gets pid into your account and it has to be cleared. Can only cash YOUR OWN cheques, or some given with special information and if bank holds a credit open facility

Fkin retarded denying you've had it.. It's clear to them you have

[Edited on 15-06-2015 by Generation]
Steve
Premium Member

15th Jun 15 at 16:36   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What legal action are they ever going to bother taking over 80 quid
jamjar15

15th Jun 15 at 16:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Calm down Generation u understand what we mean by cash it in so whats the problem, also never said I was going to deny it
jamjar15

15th Jun 15 at 16:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah thats what I was thinking steve, plus the fact that they said 'may' from the founds of it I think ill just call there bluff

[Edited on 15-06-2015 by jamjar15]
DaveyLC

16th Jun 15 at 08:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Generation
Can only pay in, not cash it.
Soon as ifs in there it can be identified by its serial number. As you can only payninto account holders bank, there's no denying that you've had it

Its irrelevant if they can identify it or not, they have sent him money, its their mistake.

The letter asking for the money back was sent by regular post so there is no proof that he even received it, not to mention he's not even legally bound to return it (as its their mistake).
Brett
Premium Member

16th Jun 15 at 10:52   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by DaveyLC
not to mention he's not even legally bound to return it (as its their mistake).

Just out of curiosity... why didn't that apply when everyone was overpaid tax credits by mistake and had to pay them back and had collectors at the door, etc?
DaveyLC

16th Jun 15 at 13:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Brett
quote:
Originally posted by DaveyLC
not to mention he's not even legally bound to return it (as its their mistake).

Just out of curiosity... why didn't that apply when everyone was overpaid tax credits by mistake and had to pay them back and had collectors at the door, etc?

HMRC is a WHOLLEEEE different ball game, there are some specific laws that apply to the HMRC.
Ian
Site Administrator

User status: Online
16th Jun 15 at 17:40   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I found a tax disc in a scrapper years ago with a few months on it, knew they only reimburse the keeper but I thought I'd give it a go.

Sent it off with my details, letter comes back saying can only give it to the keeper etc. balance on the disc is forfeited (another DVLA swizz comparable to the current date overlap one but that's another thread)

Heard nothing more until I got a demand like the one above for money back saying I'd had a cheque and I needed to pay it back immediately or face prosecution.

Suffice to say they got a swift phone call telling them to bugger off and they can try

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » dvla tax refund cheque? 22 database queries in 0.1074409 seconds