corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Sports Day » walking

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author walking
A1EX

User status: Offline
30th May 15 at 20:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Jimbothebarbarian
quote:
Originally posted by Balling
http://www.runnersworld.com/weight-loss/running-v-walking-how-many-calories-will-you-burn

Great article that and some really interesting info, and I quote...

Walking is a different kind of animal. Increases in walking speed dramatically raise calorie burn per mile as well as per minute. Indeed, at about 12:30 per mile, walking hits a point where it burns about the same calories/mile as running. Walk faster than 12:30 and you will burn more calories/mile than running at 10.00 pace.

....ironically it just proves that anyone can go for a ratch on google etc and find someone or something to back up there argument. Obviously I've quoted the part that backs me up. But you get the idea. I could start chuntering on about if you walk slow enough you could burn even more calories than running. But I won't.

But hey A1EX right back at you in you black underpants...

[Edited on 30-05-2015 by Jimbothebarbarian]

As i said, its about speed and i didnt need to google that. Today im not wearing underpants
Jimbothebarbarian

30th May 15 at 20:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Fruity monkey..
A1EX

30th May 15 at 20:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I enjoy the freedom
Nic Barnes

30th May 15 at 21:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

This is supposed to be about walking
oJNAo
Premium Member

30th May 15 at 22:27   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Why not just use your hour of freedom to go have lunch somewhere different each day and keep proper exercise outside of work?

You're still getting your bit of walking done and can get some fresh air in too
Generation

31st May 15 at 00:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nic you know how walking has helped me. I am living non internet proof of it. No questions about it helping, I do around 2 hours a day aswell as usual walking about/doing stuff. Do it.

Also, to whoever made the retarded post about walking is just for fat people obviously has put no thought into it. The only other real alternative for it in some areas (non gym) is running. Some people (self included) suffer with shin splints which don't seem to be fading no matter what I try. I also have friends who are skinny as a rake that can't run half a mile. Fitness isn't ALWAYS determined just by size.

[Edited on 31-05-2015 by Generation]
Nic Barnes

31st May 15 at 16:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just walked 6.75 miles. Says I burned 997 calories.
Generation

1st Jun 15 at 12:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That's pretty much what I'm hitting daily
Nic Barnes

1st Jun 15 at 12:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

thats good that each day!

i did 1 mile today at lunchtime as im broken following a 13 mile run on saturday. quite sore trying to walk.
Ian W

1st Jun 15 at 13:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Generation
Nic you know how walking has helped me. I am living non internet proof of it. No questions about it helping, I do around 2 hours a day aswell as usual walking about/doing stuff. Do it.

Also, to whoever made the retarded post about walking is just for fat people obviously has put no thought into it. The only other real alternative for it in some areas (non gym) is running. Some people (self included) suffer with shin splints which don't seem to be fading no matter what I try. I also have friends who are skinny as a rake that can't run half a mile. Fitness isn't ALWAYS determined just by size.

[Edited on 31-05-2015 by Generation]

I thought it was just me!

I can't seem to stop getting shin splints or general leg pain following a run, ran 2 to 3 times a week for about 8 months but gave it up about 6 weeks ago coming to the conclusion I am just not a runner I'm not a heavy guy either, 5'11 and 11 stone.

Going to try and get back on the bike now
Nic Barnes

1st Jun 15 at 13:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cycling is more fun anyway...........
Ian W

1st Jun 15 at 14:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah it certainly is, just requires more time for the same calorie burning I imagine.

You can run for half an hour and do 5k but 5k on a bike is nothing so feels like I should be doing 15/20k on the bike to really feel like I have done something worthwhile.

I am probably completely wrong
Nic Barnes

1st Jun 15 at 14:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah can usually bike about 8-10 miles on a road bike in 30 mins and it will be half the calories. although thats the thing, its not as much effort.
Generation

1st Jun 15 at 14:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sorry to hear of you issues Ian, that's why it gets me so irate reading uneducated posts like above.
Ian W

1st Jun 15 at 14:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Generation
Sorry to hear of you issues Ian, that's why it gets me so irate reading uneducated posts like above.

Thanks, really annoys me as the rest of my body can take it, ran 10k a couple of times but my legs just don't recover, probably as they are little skinny chicken legs
ed

1st Jun 15 at 15:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Purely looking and the rate of injuries people suffer, running is one of the most dangerous sport you can take part in. People often try to go from sofa bum to runner without any other form of exercise in between (huge generalisation alert there); what you need to do is build strong core and glute muscles before going for distance. If you do that, the shins don't take half the pounding they would do and hopefully you can reduce the risk of injury.
Generation

1st Jun 15 at 15:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Which is exactly why I'm doing so much walking before attempting to run again
Nic Barnes

1st Jun 15 at 15:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

couch to 5k app worked for me
Ian W

1st Jun 15 at 16:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I did couch to 5k and completed it easily enough, seemed to be the continued running that caused my issues, don't get me wrong, it's no crippling pain whenever I run but I always felt like I had some sort of leg pain or sores. Should probably just man up!
Nic Barnes

1st Jun 15 at 16:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

did you get a gait analysis done? not saying thats the issue, just wondering. when i got correctly fitting shoes etc, made a massive differnce.
Ian W

1st Jun 15 at 21:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No, I just sort of cracked on with it. If I actually enjoyed running I might of gone down that route but after the challenge of the couch to 5k ended I just found it pretty boring. Did 9 miles on the bike tonight anyway in pretty awful conditions so happy with that, first ride for about 12 months.
oJNAo
Premium Member

2nd Jun 15 at 16:38   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Running 3 times a week is a piece of piss if people do progressive training with the right nutrition and footwear. I suffered shin splints from trying to do too much too quickly.

Fitness is definitely not determined by size but it is sure determined by how quick/far you can do things (run) if we're talking on a cardiovascular level. I'm not anti-walking but as exercise it should be left to fat people and grannies as there are much quicker ways to get fitter without injury with the right knowledge
Nic Barnes

2nd Jun 15 at 18:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well that's a very negative post tbh.
Marc

2nd Jun 15 at 18:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

PT Day.
oJNAo
Premium Member

2nd Jun 15 at 20:11   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Should be common sense imo

<<  1    2    3  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Sports Day » walking 23 database queries in 0.1116409 seconds