corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Credit card question.

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Credit card question.
Ben G

User status: Offline
18th Apr 15 at 22:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Had a 0% interest on balance transfers offer come through, so transferred some money over from another card. Total was a grand. Paid £100 off after a month.

Then I paid for my car insurance on the same card last month. £350.

A week later i paid in 2 separate payments after receiving a second statement, one of £100 and one that was the same amount as the car insurance, so it was completely paid for.

Just got another statement through and they've charged me £5 interest for what I presume is the car insurance.

Is this correct? Obviously theres a balance transfer on there aswell as one purchase, but as the balance transfer money has a 0% interest offer attached to it, I presumed the money I paid in would pay off the car insurance before paying off any of the balance transfer money, meaning I paid no interest on it.

Not sure if i'm making sense here, but does that sound right? Or am I wrong and need to pay off everything now to stop accruing interest?

[Edited on 18-04-2015 by Ben G]
deano87

18th Apr 15 at 22:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I believe yes they changed the law that any money you pay in pays off the most expensive debt first i.e. your car insurance purchase.

However they will charge interest on your balance transfer fee, if there was one?

Also, I've had it before where I paid off the card before the statement but timed it just so the statement was processing and after I had a £0 balance I still had a £5 minimum payment fee. I just paid it and used the card again. Couldnt be arsed to ring up some numpty in India for 20 minutes to try and explain.
Ben G

18th Apr 15 at 22:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Balance transfer fee was a few months ago, Deano. Was about 20 quid.

This £5.18 interest just says it's a ''purchase interest'', so it can only be the car insurance.

I guess i'll have to ring them up and find out tomorrow. Just wanted to make sure what i thought about paying the purchase debt off first was correct. Unsure why it hasn't though.
Jambo

19th Apr 15 at 08:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ring the card company and get them to explain
Russ

19th Apr 15 at 10:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the credit card company will state in its t&c's what you pay for first, second and third (cash usually third)

the extra you paid to pay off insurance has probably just paid extra of balance

[Edited on 19-04-2015 by Russ]
Ben G

19th Apr 15 at 12:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah that's what it looks like Russ. Will give them a call and see. If not, i'll pay it all off amd be skint for the next few days

Good thing I get paid weekly!

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Credit card question. 22 database queries in 0.0102730 seconds