corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » turbo failure symptoms

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author turbo failure symptoms
WATSON

User status: Offline
13th Feb 15 at 14:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Possibly blown the turbo on my mk4 astra gsi, The other day i had thick white smoke come from the rear of the car so pulled over shut the car off and had a peek under the bonnet, couldnt see anything started car back up ... no smoke

There is excessive oil in the intercooler pipe work but no smoke on or off boost car boosts fine also?

Any ideas? or correct in stating the turbo is gone Its a standard k04 astra vxr turbo running stage 4 map and 1.7bar of boost if that helps.
DaveyLC

13th Feb 15 at 15:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What were you expecting to see under the bonnet ?

Best thing to do is remove the intake hose and check the impeller for excessive or obvious signs of seal leakage... If its leaking on the exhaust side you'll normally get shit loads of smoke when throttling back up from over-run.
ianofbhills

13th Feb 15 at 18:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Is it using oil or coolant?
White smoke is more likely to be burning coolant. Burning oil is usually blue smoke.
--ToM--

13th Feb 15 at 18:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Had you just gobe fast round a corner before it blew smoke? Could be surge,

Funny that it's not done it since it turbo was on way out it would smoke on boost all the time pretty much
alan-g-w

13th Feb 15 at 19:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Do you need to upgrade injectors to run 1.7bar?
--ToM--

13th Feb 15 at 19:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yes
WATSON

13th Feb 15 at 21:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Davey, I have no idea why or what I was looking for under the bonnet! Have removed intercooler pipework ect and there is a large amount of oil in them

Ian, Isn't using coolant that I know of its been parked up since the issue but I have noticed the rear of the car does have soot/oil over it.

Tom, wasn't going fast was going past a school so 20mph limit, I thought it would smoke non stop if turbo was gone but in this case nope!

Alan, I run upgraded injectors ect cars fairly tweeked.

Oh some pictures,

--ToM--

13th Feb 15 at 21:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Run it like that with the boost pipes off mate see if it smokes without the turbo connected

Take the air filter side of the turbo off and look for oil down there, play the shaft see if it's got much movement, remove exhaust downpipe and look at that side of the turbo for oil, if there's oil in either of them areas turbo failure is likely were you running s restrictor bolt in your turbo feed pipe?

If engine smokes constantly normally piston rings
If it smokes on boost and over run normally turbo
Smokes on start up or when pulling away from being on idle eg from s set of lights normally stem seals which is common in these

That's just rule of thumb though
WATSON

13th Feb 15 at 22:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by --ToM--
Run it like that with the boost pipes off mate see if it smokes without the turbo connected

Take the air filter side of the turbo off and look for oil down there, play the shaft see if it's got much movement, remove exhaust downpipe and look at that side of the turbo for oil, if there's oil in either of them areas turbo failure is likely were you running s restrictor bolt in your turbo feed pipe?

If engine smokes constantly normally piston rings
If it smokes on boost and over run normally turbo
Smokes on start up or when pulling away from being on idle eg from s set of lights normally stem seals which is common in these

That's just rule of thumb though

There's next to no smoke coming from car unless from cold, There is slight smoke coming on boost when pulling away apart from that nothing. I haven't and don't fancy giving it full beans in case more damage is caused

Stem seals have recently been done so rules that one out, Surely with the large amount of oil in the IC pipework it would be turbo? I have noticed on the turbo side IC pipework there is quite a large amount of oil seeping out the pipework attached to the turbo.

I've taking air filter pipework off and there's little to no oil (slightly wet) can't check shaft movement because the VXR turbo has a sweeping up pipe so makes checking shaft movement difficult

Cheers for the help/information
--ToM--

13th Feb 15 at 22:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Does sound like turbo best to be sure though before forking out for a new one

Run engine without turbo connected and see if it smokes at all then, do you have the restrictor bolt on your turbo oil feed? When running vxr turbo you can get s restrict or bolt to restrict oil flow to the turbo as the standard turbo bolt allows to much oil in and can piss past the seals
WATSON

13th Feb 15 at 22:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by --ToM--
Does sound like turbo best to be sure though before forking out for a new one

Run engine without turbo connected and see if it smokes at all then, do you have the restrictor bolt on your turbo oil feed? When running vxr turbo you can get s restrict or bolt to restrict oil flow to the turbo as the standard turbo bolt allows to much oil in and can piss past the seals

Not 100% sure on that one mate, I would presume there will be a restrictor in place as the car has ran the VXR turbo for some time and most of the work has been done by courtenay sport.

Will see if I can pick up a compression tester tomorrow and get that checked, HOPEFULLY all good on that side as I wasn't planning on going forge until near the end of this year
--ToM--

13th Feb 15 at 22:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Worth checking there's only a few quid and easy to fit anyway they aren't essential but good to have for the reason I said above!

Does engine feel like it's lost compression though?

ShEp

13th Feb 15 at 23:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

PITA those astra's

rings, stem seals, turbos

You'll end up doing them all.
Steve
Premium Member

14th Feb 15 at 07:50   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Oil residue isn't uncommon in the turbo pipework. It's a result of egr buildups and breather pipes that go back into the air intake
--ToM--

14th Feb 15 at 08:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not that much lol
Steve
Premium Member

14th Feb 15 at 09:16   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Non of those pictures look abnormal to me, except perhaps all the stuff on the fingers, but it can get quite thick in places where it collects. My landrover has build ups similar but doesn't use a drop of oil of smoke.
Steve
Premium Member

14th Feb 15 at 09:18   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm not saying there definitely isn't a problem. But just looking at a bit of oil in the pipework cannot be definitive. Is it using oil or burning blue smoke? If not the white plume could be surging
WATSON

14th Feb 15 at 10:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Shep, yes there a pain in the ass!

Steve, I'm not fully clued up on car's but that amount of oil in the top IC pipework can't be normal the oil was dripping off my fingers and dripping out the pipework.

It doesn't seem to use oil but then the rear of the car does seem oily/sooty also have noticed my front bumper is quite oily also where my front mount is.

Further search the VXR turbo's are very weak and are common to let go when running high boost/power. I'm running stage 4 courtenay @ 1.7bar, courtenay did however state on the phone yesterday that the amount of boost I run and power I should be fine but others state different

DaveyLC

14th Feb 15 at 17:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As Steve says its fine to have some oil residue on the inlet as the crack case breather will run through the inlet, but it isn't ok if you're literally POURING oil out of the intercooler
--ToM--

14th Feb 15 at 17:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

There should be more at the bottom pipes on the inter cooler and only a mist / slight residue up at the top hat if there is the quantity at the top inlet pipe that there is on this car it's more than breather
WATSON

14th Feb 15 at 17:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So in this case were looking at a turbo replacement? Tomorrow I plan on dropping the the intercooler off and checking for play in the turbo.
Jambo

14th Feb 15 at 22:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not being funny...

But can you not feel if the turbo is not working properly? Does it still boost when it normally should and feel like it always has done?

If you lost the turbo it would be 100% evident from the distinct lack of torque or "surge" of power a turbo brings?
Rick Draper

15th Feb 15 at 00:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Jambo
Not being funny...

But can you not feel if the turbo is not working properly? Does it still boost when it normally should and feel like it always has done?

If you lost the turbo it would be 100% evident from the distinct lack of torque or "surge" of power a turbo brings?

The turbo has failed but its still producing boost as it should. A seal failure is not going to stop the turbo working properly.
--ToM--

15th Feb 15 at 09:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Vxr turbos are known for chocolate seals lol
Jambo

15th Feb 15 at 09:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm aware of that but seals going would mean the seals have gone, not the turbo? Seals going usually accompany enormous plumes of blue smoke.

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » turbo failure symptoms 22 database queries in 0.0934141 seconds