corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » MOT due - airbag light on...

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author MOT due - airbag light on...
Ben G

User status: Offline
17th Jan 15 at 17:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

airbag light came on a while back and i've just checked when my MOT is due and it's Monday!

Now i'm pretty sure if the airbag light is illuminated then it's an MOT failure, but what if I remove the bulb?

I plan on getting it sorted when it's next in for a service in a couple of months, but I also need to use the car.

Should've got it sorted ages ago but I didn't realise my MOT was due so soon

The light randomly illuminating is a common problem on Z4's and no one seems to be sure why.

[Edited on 17-01-2015 by Ben G]
Robin
Premium Member

17th Jan 15 at 17:58   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Has to come on with the ignition and go off afterwards, like the abs light.
Dee25790

17th Jan 15 at 17:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Take the bulb out pretty sure they won't notice. If they do check n you're worried you will get in trouble pull the bulb out and make it blow then put it back haha
Dee25790

17th Jan 15 at 17:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ah right didn't know it had to show up with the ignition
Jambo

17th Jan 15 at 18:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I can turn it off for you Ben however you live miles away
Ben G

17th Jan 15 at 18:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Robin
Has to come on with the ignition and go off afterwards, like the abs light.

Thats what i thought, but a bit of googling says otherwise.

I'm confused!
Jambo

17th Jan 15 at 18:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's also likely to be the wiring under your seat or the passenger occupancy mat.
Ben G

17th Jan 15 at 18:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Jambo
I can turn it off for you Ben however you live miles away

cheers Jambo, bit of a trek!

I have emailed someone who lives close to my parents, hoping he can sort it. If not, i'm buggered
Ben G

17th Jan 15 at 18:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Jambo
It's also likely to be the wiring under your seat or the passenger occupancy mat.

Thats most likely the main culprit. Occupancy mat seems to work fine as it beeps when I put my workbag on the seat without the belt clipped in.

Wiring may have got wet when I had that problem with my door.
Jason x
Premium Member

17th Jan 15 at 18:13   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

On this topic - what if your car used to have an airbag but now doesn't (boss wheel) does the light still have to come on even though there's no airbag anymore or can you just take bulb out in that case?
Jambo

17th Jan 15 at 18:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's common on E46's too, which I assume the Z4 shares a lot of parts with.

Most likely the connection under the seat then, as well as turning it off I can also tell you what it is

But yeah, Essexxxxxx
Corsa_Sport21

17th Jan 15 at 18:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If there's a fault, then surely just turning it off won't be enough as it will just come back on?

Do the generic obd2 readers not work on these? They seem to have came on leaps and bounds these days and work on quite a lot of cars.

Couple of mates have the circa £10 jobbies from eBay. Different models but works on his 06 Leon FR and other mates has worked on every car he's tried except his XC90.
Haimsey
Premium Member

17th Jan 15 at 18:26   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Jason x
On this topic - what if your car used to have an airbag but now doesn't (boss wheel) does the light still have to come on even though there's no airbag anymore or can you just take bulb out in that case?

I took the bulb out.

Marcy Marc

White Sport Progress Thread
Dave_1987
Premium Member

17th Jan 15 at 18:33   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Im an MOT tester and If you take the bulb out its only an advisory. If it comes on and stays on its a fail because it indicates a fault. If it was the ABS light its different it has to come on and go off. The airbag rules are going to change in the future so that the light has to come on and go off.
Ben G

17th Jan 15 at 18:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers for that Dave! Is that an across the board thing or is it at the disrection of the tester?
Steve
Premium Member

17th Jan 15 at 18:55   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Chances it's a surface mount led and not a bulb. Will require desoldering
Dave_1987
Premium Member

17th Jan 15 at 19:01   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

They are the official rules but alot of people dont check or as you say its upto the discretion of the tester. So some will turn a blind eye if thats the only issue. It was mentioned above about the airbag being removed. If your car has had airbags and for example it has had an aftermarket steering wheel fitted thats a fail because the airbag has been removed where. Its part of the test to check for the presence of airbags. All the MOT rules contradict themselves. There was a special notice around a year ago saying about the removals of full sytems when they have been removed for a reason (rally cars, limos etc) so if you had a Corsa b and removed all the airbags, wires, crash sensors etc it would pass.
Brett
Premium Member

17th Jan 15 at 19:02   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Steve
Chances it's a surface mount led and not a bulb. Will require desoldering
Or a piece of blue tac over it
Ben G

17th Jan 15 at 19:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What if I put some black tape over the light? Are they able to remove the tape?

I know i'm clutching at straws here, but it's because I have so little time left. My own fault of course.
Dave_1987
Premium Member

17th Jan 15 at 19:26   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have had ii done to me and spotted it but I have seen people miss it. If you can take the plastic lense off your dials and put it over the actual dial face its hard to see. Most people if they dont see a bright light will miss it. Unless they can see its on they cant fail it.
Ben G

17th Jan 15 at 19:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Seems like a load of hard work think i'll try and get in touch with this guy who has the software to hopefully sort it
Dave_1987
Premium Member

17th Jan 15 at 19:33   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Haha thats the thing by the time you messed around trying to get around the fault it would be easier to fix it depending on what it is. I hope its a cheap fix for you mate.
Ben G

17th Jan 15 at 19:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers Dave, thanks for the quick response
Dave_1987
Premium Member

17th Jan 15 at 19:37   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No probs mate.
GB123
Premium Member

17th Jan 15 at 19:48   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Happened on my E46, was the wiring/sensor under the passenger seat for me.

You'll also still need to turn the light off/clear the fault after it's been fixed, I bought the cable and diagnostic program off of eBay when I did mine.

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » MOT due - airbag light on... 23 database queries in 0.1073248 seconds