corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » audi A4 coolent system problem -ongoing - still not fixed

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author audi A4 coolent system problem -ongoing - still not fixed
sparcost3

User status: Offline
15th Jan 15 at 17:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

hi everyone, sorry its not corsa related.. but i was wondering if anyone can shed any light on my problem with my audi a4 estate daily.

the problem is that the car is overheating due to the flow in the coolent system not being right.

there is no return flow to the header tank and the top coolent hoses are hot but the bottom ones are cold showing there is no circulation.

i have replaced the waterpump,

i have changed the thermostat for a brand new 1

i changed the temprature sensor (CTS) and still no joy

[Edited on 21-01-2015 by sparcost3]

[Edited on 22-01-2015 by sparcost3]
carl roper

15th Jan 15 at 17:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Is the radiator blocked? Doesn't sound likenit flowing through it anyway
richardworrall
Premium Member

15th Jan 15 at 18:27   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

can you disconnect a top pipe and blow the water through the system or hear air escaping as you do it?
Steve
Premium Member

15th Jan 15 at 19:25   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

have you bled it properly?
IvIarkgraham
Premium Member

16th Jan 15 at 01:16   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

are you losing coolant?
SteveoBC
Premium Member

16th Jan 15 at 09:12   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Steve
have you bled it properly?

i was going to say water pump first as my dads one went (plastic impeller broke off so no pressure)

but im going to think the same as the other steve here

Must have an airblock in the system somewhere
Steve
Premium Member

16th Jan 15 at 09:14   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The problem is until the stat gets hot enough it can stop the water getting into the radiator side of the system, but because there is no water round the back of the thermostat because of air it doesn't get hot enough, leading to catch 22.

Usually there are plastic bleed screws in various parts of the system too, but sometimes filling up with boiling water can help as it will open the stat up.

Also make sure heater is on hot.
ShEp

16th Jan 15 at 09:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Run it for 45mins with the header tank cap off and the heaters on full blast.
Steve
Premium Member

16th Jan 15 at 10:35   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

And rev it too find that helps force out locks
pow
Premium Member

16th Jan 15 at 17:17   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

And Jack the nose up in the air, have to do that to older 6 cylinder bmws
Brett
Premium Member

16th Jan 15 at 19:16   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

and cross your fingers
_Allan_

16th Jan 15 at 20:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ensure the rear seats are folded flat.
GB123
Premium Member

16th Jan 15 at 21:56   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Check the door hinges
sparcost3

18th Jan 15 at 10:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers for the replies lads I will try this todau
baza31

18th Jan 15 at 10:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

sparcost3

20th Jan 15 at 20:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by carl roper
Is the radiator blocked? Doesn't sound likenit flowing through it anyway

yep think so carl need to remove bumper to get it off not like on a corsa so maybe at the weekend or a weekend when its not -5.....
carl roper

20th Jan 15 at 20:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Take the pipes off and run a hose through it to check?
Mattb

20th Jan 15 at 21:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Really does sound like you have an airlock. Take the plastic trim of the plenum chamber (the big mofo over the battery etc) there are two hoses that go into the heater matrix around the center of the bulkhead, one of these has a hole in. With the engine running, Loosen the spring clamp and pull the hose back, but not off so the hole is past the pipe for the matrix. This will bleed any air out the matrix. This is extremely common when the coolant system hasn't been vacuum bled.
sparcost3

21st Jan 15 at 19:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by carl roper
Take the pipes off and run a hose through it to check?

did that yesterday, runs through totally fine.

drove to work and felt the radiator after a 20 mile drive and the whole thing was stone cold...... top pipe hot and bottom pipe cold. that bottom pipe conects directly to the thermostat and even though ive replaced it it cant be working??

is it ok to remove it altogether and see if i get flow through the system without a thermostat?
sparcost3

21st Jan 15 at 19:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Mattb
Really does sound like you have an airlock. Take the plastic trim of the plenum chamber (the big mofo over the battery etc) there are two hoses that go into the heater matrix around the center of the bulkhead, one of these has a hole in. With the engine running, Loosen the spring clamp and pull the hose back, but not off so the hole is past the pipe for the matrix. This will bleed any air out the matrix. This is extremely common when the coolant system hasn't been vacuum bled.

whats a plenum chamber ? i removed those 2 pipes next to the battery and proved there is flow through the matrix when conecting to a hose. however.... there seemed to be no flow coming out of those 2 hoses into the matrix even when revving engine?

very strange
sparcost3

21st Jan 15 at 19:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by IvIarkgraham
are you losing coolant?

no i am not loosing any coolent
sparcost3

21st Jan 15 at 19:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Steve
The problem is until the stat gets hot enough it can stop the water getting into the radiator side of the system, but because there is no water round the back of the thermostat because of air it doesn't get hot enough, leading to catch 22.

Usually there are plastic bleed screws in various parts of the system too, but sometimes filling up with boiling water can help as it will open the stat up.

Also make sure heater is on hot.

that pipe was full of air, after testing flow through the radiator i filled it up with kettle water and ran it but it was still clod althogh now feels pressured. im thinking even though the thermostat is brand new, would it be worth removing all together to see if the radiator then gets flow?

there is still no water returning to header tank even with a brand new waterpump
sparcost3

22nd Jan 15 at 19:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yesterday i had no flow through the system (no return to header tank) and the radiator and bottom hose stone cold.

the temprature gauge went to about 70 after 10 mins of driving and the heating was working to some degree but the engine was very hot with the coolent not circulating properly.

i also noticed that when i used the screen wash wipers the heater blowers became more powerfull (had more blow power)

today i removed the thermostat alltogether. i now have perfect strong flow to my return on the header tank, and the radiator and all hoses warm up and pressurise now but are only warm not hot.?

i now have no warmth whatsoever coming through my heating. i dont understand the problem.. it dosent make sence!! can anyone shed any light??

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » audi A4 coolent system problem -ongoing - still not fixed 22 database queries in 0.1856070 seconds