corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » uploading pictures

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author uploading pictures
Robin
Premium Member

User status: Offline
31st Dec 14 at 08:38   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm having trouble with pictures from my iPhone, when I put them on my computer, they're the correct way up, when I upload them to here, they appear either upside down or rotated 90 degrees.

if I rotate them and re-upload them, they still upload rotated incorrectly and it's doing my head in!

Robin
Premium Member

31st Dec 14 at 08:39   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

For example

Any help?
Balling
Premium Member

31st Dec 14 at 09:06   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

This is probably to do with the CS garage not reading the EXIF rotation tag.

Basically you have two options.

1. Use some "heavier" software to do the image rotation, like Photoshop or Gimp.

2. Upload your pictures to a website that has been updated in the last decade and reads EXIF tags.

I'd recommend uploading to Flickr.

Steve
Premium Member

31st Dec 14 at 09:11   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'd say it's not even modified the rotation data and it's just the phone working it out and displaying it correctly. Iv found you have to edit the photo on your phone and set the rotation like that.

Alternatively upload the fb and see the rotation there
Robin
Premium Member

31st Dec 14 at 09:18   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I thought that Steve but the computer displays it correctly too, which seems odd.

Can't upload to FB as I deleted my account.

Will have to try photoshop later.
Balling
Premium Member

31st Dec 14 at 09:20   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Steve
I'd say it's not even modified the rotation data and it's just the phone working it out and displaying it correctly.
How would the phone and computer know the orientation of the images without any data to tell them?

DaveyLC

31st Dec 14 at 09:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Balling has hit the nail on the head..

Your phone takes the photo which ever way around you have the phone, it then marks the photo with the position of the phone so it can be displayed correctly..

This Forum software was used by Noah on his Ark Blog so don't expect it to work correctly.

Try using http://postimg.org/

[Edited on 31-12-2014 by DaveyLC]
DaveyLC

31st Dec 14 at 09:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Balling
quote:
Originally posted by Steve
I'd say it's not even modified the rotation data and it's just the phone working it out and displaying it correctly.
How would the phone and computer know the orientation of the images without any data to tell them?

Shhhh, just let him have his moment
Balling
Premium Member

31st Dec 14 at 09:23   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Robin
Will have to try photoshop later.
Open in photoshop. It should open with the correct orientation, if not just use "rotate canvas".

Then "save for web" and set the image size to what you want. If you're uploading to the CS garage, I'd recommend scaling width to 1024px as CS compresses the shit out of large images.

Robin
Premium Member

31st Dec 14 at 09:36   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by DaveyLC
Balling has hit the nail on the head..

Your phone takes the photo which ever way around you have the phone, it then marks the photo with the position of the phone so it can be displayed correctly..

This Forum software was used by Noah on his Ark Blog so don't expect it to work correctly.

Try using http://postimg.org/

[Edited on 31-12-2014 by DaveyLC]

Good old Apple, take the picture the so the 'shutter' button is on top, then it turns out to be the wrong way round!
DaveyLC

31st Dec 14 at 09:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Its a good thing, It does this so that the image hasn't been dicked about with..
Balling
Premium Member

31st Dec 14 at 10:21   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Good old Apple, take the picture the so the 'shutter' button is on top, then it turns out to be the wrong way round!
How did you conclude that it's Apple's fault?

As I said, if you use software from this century (eg. not CS) then it works just fine.

Robin
Premium Member

31st Dec 14 at 10:50   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Mainly because the with the shutter (volume) button on top, the pictures upload completely upside down.

If anything, the should be rotated 90 degrees, not 180.

That is Apple's fault, the data held in the phone is incorrect as 1/4 turn to the right does not make the phone upside down.
DaveyLC

31st Dec 14 at 11:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The data held on the phone is identical (i.e. the photo is upside down) its just the software on the phone was written this millennium so it knows how to handle it.
Balling
Premium Member

31st Dec 14 at 11:16   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
That is Apple's fault, the data held in the phone is incorrect
You've already stated that the photo shows correctly on your PC and phone. How could that be if the data is incorrect as you put it?

Again, the phone does exactly what it's supposed to do.

ed

31st Dec 14 at 20:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's got nothing to do with Apple - I asked a question on Stack Overflow a few years ago about it, I keep getting points for it

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/13055915/ios-6-safari-image-upload-orientation-wrong
Ian
Site Administrator

1st Jan 15 at 14:09   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So much love for the CS software
Simon_16v

1st Jan 15 at 14:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just use Flickr Robin, keeps the quality etc

New Poll