corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » "I'm a total Android spastic" Day

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author "I'm a total Android spastic" Day
evilrob
Premium Member

User status: Offline
27th Nov 14 at 21:53   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As some of you probably know from my Microsoft thread, I've been actively avoiding Android for the past few years so I'm kinda out of the loop.

Unfortunately I've been given a Samsung Galaxy S5 through work to replace my comedy BlackBerry 9720 so I'd like to know what's what - any must-have apps / list of 'first things to do on your Android phone'?

Obviously I can't root it, but other than that I seem to have free rein.

Also, case / screen protector recommendations for the S5 appreciated - even though it's not actually mine, I do need to treat it as though it is.

Was thinking about whacking a Qi wireless charging adaptor in - anyone got any experience of this kind of shenanigans?:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00F3J2KNI/ref=ox_sc_act_title_4?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A15PJYKCFCEKXF

I've heard this brand of tempered glass screen protectors are good:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00J7YQBSA/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=AMCSZCFWUXV3G

Quite like the look of this Spigen case:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SPIGEN-Neo-Hybrid-Case-for-Galaxy-S5-/171267946839?pt=UK_MobilePhones_MobilePhonesCasesPouches&var=470358585318&hash=item27e05d7957

[Edited on 28-11-2014 by evilrob]
Gary
Premium Member

27th Nov 14 at 22:07   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have a tempered glass screen protector on mine and it's broken. Do not rate.
Munchie

27th Nov 14 at 22:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Tempered glass on mine saved the screen recently when I dropped it out the van!

Delete magazines from home screen. Its turd
Get a microsd card
Brilliant phones
johnny86
Premium Member

28th Nov 14 at 05:48   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Show box. only thing I use then again I do 4 hours a day on a train so easier to watch a film.
Dom

28th Nov 14 at 07:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by johnny86
Show box. only thing I use then again I do 4 hours a day on a train so easier to watch a film.

Given that it's a company phone and the likely hood that they'll be monitoring it (you wouldn't really know if they were without gaining root), i wouldn't be installing shite like that on it.

Rob - Shame they gave you a 9720 rather than a 9900, which would have been vastly superior. But re. the S5, get it updated and buy a case; it's a company phone so i wouldn't waste too much time with it.
evilrob
Premium Member

28th Nov 14 at 09:48   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dom
quote:
Originally posted by johnny86

Given that it's a company phone and the likely hood that they'll be monitoring it (you wouldn't really know if they were without gaining root), i wouldn't be installing shite like that on it.

I appreciate the tip from johnny86, but I will not be installing a wonky as fuck app like Showbox on a work device!

They totally are monitoring (using Good for Enterprise Mobile Device Management) - but this whole thing has been done a bit hamfistedly. Basically BES came up for renewal - they saw the quote and were like, "nah, fuck it - let's switch to Android, we can buy a shitload of Galaxy S5's with the saving instead!"

I'm surprised they didn't go down the iPhone route as we already have an established iPad rollout with tried and tested enterprise lockdown.

Our Internal Comms team make you sign a "please don't view any media you can't prove you own on this device" policy before handing over a sealed box to you and an A4 sheet telling you how to install and set up Good for Enterprise yourself and/or a new Google account purely so you can get into the phone (they advise not to use your personal Google account).

They're totally cool with you installing Spotify, Netflix, iPlayer or whatever (as long as you don't stream over 3G/4G), and are, bizarrely, happy for you to install whatever you like as long as it's productive, legit from the Google Play store and if it costs money you pay for it. If you want to pair it with your Android Wear device, they're fine with that too.

Utter madness if you ask me, but while I am able to install stuff I might have a play with this:
http://androidfocusapp.com

I believe they're testing MobileIron at the moment for future rollout.

quote:
Originally posted by Dom
Rob - Shame they gave you a 9720 rather than a 9900, which would have been vastly superior.

You do like a good RIM*, don't you, Dom?

* (yes I know they're not called RIM any more)

quote:
Originally posted by Dom
get it updated

I wonder if Lollipop will be out for the S5 before they roll out MobileIron.

quote:
Originally posted by Dom
buy a case

I intend to - got any suggestions?

[Edited on 28-11-2014 by evilrob]
Balling
Premium Member

28th Nov 14 at 10:35   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What you want is a balloon case, the only thing to truly match the build quality of your new Samsung touch screen smartphone device.

Marc

28th Nov 14 at 10:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That is amazeballs. Or amazeballoons
evilrob
Premium Member

28th Nov 14 at 11:23   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Balling
What you want is a balloon case, the only thing to truly match the build quality of your new Samsung touch screen smartphone device.

That is awesome.
Dom

28th Nov 14 at 12:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by evilrob
I'm surprised they didn't go down the iPhone route as we already have an established iPad rollout with tried and tested enterprise lockdown.

Cost will be the primary factor with iOS devices. Although saying that the S5 isn't a particularly cheap phone so i'm surprised they went with that rather than a cheaper device like a Nexus 5 or Moto G etc, more so when you consider the high chance of employees losing and breaking them.

Also i've yet found a MBM solution that completely locks down iOS and prevents the user disabling it, granted this was with iOS7 and it might have changed now with iOS8.

quote:
.....before handing over a sealed box to you and an A4 sheet telling you how to install and set up Good for Enterprise yourself and/or a new Google account purely so you can get into the phone (they advise not to use your personal Google account).

Like fuck would i trust an employee to deal with the setup of a company device

quote:
You do like a good RIM*, don't you, Dom? .

Everyone slates Blackberry's but they're some (true, they do have a load of shoddy devices like the 9720) of the best business devices out there and BB10 makes even more sense with the dual profile (personal, business) functionality.

[Edited on 28-11-2014 by Dom]
evilrob
Premium Member

28th Nov 14 at 13:37   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dom
Like fuck would i trust an employee to deal with the setup of a company device

I know! I was like, "are you SURE, mate?"

I think they're just panicking to get the devices out and in people's hands quickly before they need to shut down BES and give the 9720's back to whoever we leased them off.

I'm a massive fan of BB10 - preaching to the converted. I'd have seriously considered buying my own Z10/Z30 if we were sticking with BlackBerry.

New Poll